Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In one of the videos he has his mum trying Ubuntu 12.10 with unity (which she didn't like much). In this video he really mangles the pronunciation of Ubuntu as something like "A-BUN-chiew". I was cringing every time he said it that way and on YouTube people were commenting on it. He apparently modified his pronunciation of Ubuntu in this Kubuntu video.

When I first tried Ubuntu I was wondering how it was pronounced so I watched the Nelson Mandela video too. I follow his pronunciation myself.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
      "...-chiew"
      That's just Australian. They talk funny over there on the west island, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        That's just Australian. They talk funny over there on the west island, you know.
        Oh, Aussies!! Yeah, that makes sense!
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Bouncy ball and eyes are 2 of my favorite widgets. I wonder how she would have liked the "Application launcher" style desktop
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Listen between 6:50 and 7:15. Each one is juuuuust a bit different.

Really, though, it probably doesn't matter much. About the only time I cringe is when I hear someone say "KEW-boon-too." Blech.
            being from a jp back ground makes me want to read the vowels exactly how i see them, ku-bun-tu. after watchin the video i think my pronunciation is pretty similar... but... im gonna start calling it KB, cant say kb wrong. and when people ask what it is. im gonna be like "that one version of linux that uses KDE" and hopefully they figure it out.

Comment

Here's the round up of top 3 best and worst of mom Dianas experiences. Interesting that he make her test DOS, and that #3 worst is M$ latest and greatest. Diana "This looks cartoonish" ..hmm where have I heard that before ... oh yea, Linus Torvald on KDE

I don't care how people pronounce K/Ubuntu, as long as they understand the ethics behind it.

b.r

Jonas

edit; I want to be at the beach and the sun and not snow, -15 C and only 4 h 'daytime'
              Last edited by Jonas; Jan 14, 2013, 03:14 AM.
              ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
              Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
              Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
              Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
              - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
              >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Ah yes the pronunciation of non English words.

Most European countries have a comparable pronunciation, it's English that suffers:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Vowel_Shift
                Though it must be said the Scandinavians have their own little vowel shift.

So just stick to Latin/German/Dutch/Spanish vowels and your good.

Back on topic, it's indeed regrettable KDE widgets are by default unlocked.
                A little help file on the default desktop would be nice.

Comment

I had never seen Zorin before. Based on the clips in the videos, I'd say it looks pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                  X