X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youtube: "Mum tries Kubuntu 12.10"

Very interesting imo!

Would also be interesting to see how her opinion changes after being forced to use it for a week.

Comment

I wish they would lock the widgets on startup. It makes a very bad first impression to have sliders popping out everywhere.

Comment

Window decorations: "This is very familiar." To what?

Adding gadgets: "What are widgets?" and they "Make the desktop messy"

Bouncy ball: "What's the point of that?"

Eyes: "People with a lot of time on their hands"

Shut down: "I'm clicking it but it's not leaving"

Mint: "Peppermint"

Comparison: "I can't remember what the normal Ubuntu was like"

...but the best one:

Slagging Midori: "I mean, if it's a web browser, call it a web browser. Then I know it's a Firefox thing."

Comment

To be honest, all that video shows is that his mum likes UIs that are similar to what she's already familiar with. Not exactly groundshaking stuff.

What amused me is how the videographer mangled the pronunciation of Kubuntu (yet pronounced Ubuntu correctly), and his mum pronounced it right.
          sigpic
          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Well, Jonathan Riddell pronounces it "koo-BUN-too," and Shuttleworth's own pronunciations hint "oo-BUN-too."

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              Well, Jonathan Riddell pronounces it "koo-BUN-too," and Shuttleworth's own pronunciations hint "oo-BUN-too."
              Hmm, at 2:24 in that video, Mr Shuttleworth pronounces Ubuntu exactly how I pronounce it (and how Nelson Mandela pronounces it in the video here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28philosophy%29).
              sigpic
              "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Listen between 6:50 and 7:15. Each one is juuuuust a bit different.

Really, though, it probably doesn't matter much. About the only time I cringe is when I hear someone say "KEW-boon-too." Blech.

Comment

"Kay-you-bunt-oo"
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Cowabuntu!

Seriously though, these videos are very interesting, especially her comments on elementaryOS. Still, I get the feeling she will happily go back to XP.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      "Kay-you-bunt-oo"
                      You do, and you clean it up!

Comment

My fav is "Pidgin" pronouced as "Pig-din" (about 13:15) and he corrects his mom, but he messes it up just as bad.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          Listen between 6:50 and 7:15. Each one is juuuuust a bit different.
                          Each time he says "Ubuntu" between those times sound basically right to me. Perhaps I'm just familiar with the South African accent, having been married to a woman who grew up in Durban and Johannesburg. Mark Shuttleworth's accent seems to have been greatly softened since he's been living in the UK, exactly like my ex's accent has.

Really, though, it probably doesn't matter much. About the only time I cringe is when I hear someone say "KEW-boon-too." Blech.
                          Ugh, I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce it like that, and I suspect that if I did, I'd wince even harder than I did when listening the the clip in the first post in this thread.
                          sigpic
                          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Watch the one where she struggles with Windows 8. Very illuminating.

9:00 is particularly sad. She's so frustrated with the whole thing that she uses Bing to search for Google.
                            Last edited by SteveRiley; Dec 13, 2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

"I would never be so stupid as to install Windows 8 on my computer"

Words to live by...
                              sigpic
                              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                              X