Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like a high quality caps/num lock widget.

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/?content=136203
    (I use this one)

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=115234
    (This never looks that great in my opinion)

Just found this one... hadn't seen it before, perhaps this is the answer...
    http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/?content=152551

My ideal solution would mimic real led indicators, such as the ones on thinkpad... the first one (linked above) does that (with color) but doesn't include the graphic style, only text.
    http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/...573/3331-4.jpg

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by kjjjjshab; Oct 13, 2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Didn't need to register with the dbus. Apparently it was successful despite the error msg. The panel icon reflects the status of Nvidia correctly. So, all is working well.

THanks for the fish!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Dmeyer made a comment in another thread about there being lots of "hidden gems" in KDE that nobody knows about.

There have been multiple threads over the past years about getting an "help" file made; but I think maybe most folks look at that as a) probably too much work and also b) "what if I post something wrong?".

So, what about the folks of the community joining to "make a list of KDE gems" (and also just the "normal stuff").

The idea being that everybody probably knows about the "normal stuff" and everybody probably knows at least one "gem" that many of the others do not know.

So, a person could volunteer to be the person to "monitor a thread" for KDE gems.

The poster would have to provide: a) name of the gem b) very short desctiption c) link to an example (no chance of "me" getting it wrong), "tags".

The tag would really be for the convenience of the moderator of the thread to reduce search time for that person if the list of gems gets large.

The plasmoid would display the gems, possibly in alphabetical order and the moderator of the thread would be responsible for getting the gems into the plasmoid and making sure there were no duplicates.

The plasmoid would somehow "display" the gems in some kind of searchable manner, or possibly just alphabetically.

The link to the discussion of use of the gem would, of course, have to be clickable, and probably open in the browser or a non-interactive window or something.

The plasmoid might also have a "search function" for the tags or whatever.

As to the searchability function, I......personally......

really do harken back to quite a few comments at several other fora about "cleaning out the old threads".

There are many people who really do just like to "go through old threads" looking for the "oddment" that catches their imagination.

This could be such a vehicle.

Possibly the requirement for the tag and a search function could, at first, not be done to see what happens in terms of people chipping in to help.

Just a thought.

woodsmoke
        Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 13, 2012, 03:38 PM.
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

@woodsmoke - great idea!

If I understand you would this be a KFN thread used with web-slice plasmoid? (would be a quick fix solution)

I wouldn't mind maintain/admin such a thread, I'm already spending more time on this forum then I actually should ...kay-eff-enn-junkie may aswell do something useful.

Not sure I would have time to dig in starting to hack a plasmoid though.

A thread with a gem spread sheet would be a start atleast.

Nice contributiondmeyer!

b.r

Jonas
          ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
          Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
          Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
          Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
          - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
          >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

james147 started on a qml plasmoid which seems to have potential but I don't know enough QML to prototype something quickly . At the moment its really just a wizard that switches through a bunch of pages so its not super useful but its still a spring board to work with. I wonder whether it would be better to make a wiki for this, a plasmoid, a wizard or a full blown app.

I can definitely help out with an app or a wizard and I'll be super happy to contribute with content. I can't help out much with QML or web stuff.

Just as an aside, I think a great way to do something like this would be to sort of pose each gem as a question e.g. How can I get the desktop cube? and then use tags for more powerful searches. Lets be honest, most newbies ask questions when working with searches (bad but I do see it all the time.) This way we basically mae getting answers super easy.

If we want to be lazy, we could always just do a wiki. Wiki's are easy too setup, are a really great way of collecting information, and can include a lot of multimedia. This won't help offline users though.

Comment

Hi Jonas and dmeyer

You two exemplify what is great and wonderful about "Linux collaboration"/collaboration/forum participation/the Bazaar as opposed to the Cathedral !

Jonas, yes that is the basic idea and I had never heard of that particular plasmoid but, if that would fullfill the function, then yes, that would be great!

dmeyer, I agree about the wiki but, personally, think that a "lot of people" think about a wiki as "something over there, and I gotta go over there and it is a "lot of trouble"(I mean, just how hard IS it to click a link! ) But, anyway....

I, personally, think that a "plasmoid" has more "immediacy" and also would be something "different" about Kubuntu.

AND, I look at it as a way to get "the people that normally would not participate because they think, WRONGLY, that they might make some kind of mistake or whatever".... to participate.

So.... how about a menage a trois! lol

A thread/wiki/thingy mentioned by jonas?

Or the Jonas thing, and a "copy to" a wiki?

again, this is what is great about a forum!

woodsmoke
              Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 19, 2012, 10:57 AM.
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                If we want to be lazy, we could always just do a wiki. Wiki's are easy too setup, are a really great way of collecting information, and can include a lot of multimedia. This won't help offline users though.
                There is already a great wiki for kde/plasma

Comment

@dmayer - Each do what each can. I'm quite certain that you're way ahead of me reading up on making plamsmoids and coding. Even though I agree with wiki is a great tool but when diving into something new like OS switch there's so much to take in and usually that wikis tend to be a "wall of text" (I think, especially those of technical character) - to much info for someone new.

@james147 - KDE's wiki is better then most tech wikis - bit of pics and text with some space in between. I hardly ever use it though, not sure why really.

@woodsmoke - webslice is a old and standard plasmoid, it only grab a web page and display it, like a browser without actions. Just tested it and tbh it's too simple, I can't scroll or do anything of a KFN thread (not sure it would actually do the job). Anyway I'm happy to post the thread with some of the gems.

I actually have thought about posting those best ppa's out there Rog131's, Sumskis and there are some more that most, especially new people would love as it would ease some of those "bleeding edge" items that both those ppa's have and they keep them up to date.
                  Loving the the bazaar - even though I don't agree with all Raymonds conclusions, he made some strong points, and considering that 1999 was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in history of computing, that should be taken in account.

what to include on the list(post/thread.

- funky plasmas
                  - theme & icons
                  - funky ppa's
                  - dependencies
                  - more?

b.r

Jonas

PS; on contributing ...right now I'm making a quick pre visual for video presentations for KDE - the K-logo with some visual effects. It's a training test for me, of dynamic paint in blender 3D and I thought KDE and later Kubuntu need some bling-bling intro to video presentations, to be announced soon.
                  Last edited by Jonas; Oct 20, 2012, 02:15 PM.
                  ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                  Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                  Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                  Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                  - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                  >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
                  X