Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A plasmoid that can check email accounts and display the number of unread messages would be really cool (and I don't mean webmail accounts, I mean POP3 and IMAP). I was looking for one a couple of months ago, and had an incredibly tough time finding anything that met my needs, such as support for multiple accounts, or simple stuff like being able to independently resize the horizontal and vertical size of the plasmoid.

I eventually wound up using a plasmoid that can only check one account, and insists on remaining a square aspect when I resize it... because that was the best I could find.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
      A plasmoid that can check email accounts and display the number of unread messages would be really cool (and I don't mean webmail accounts, I mean POP3 and IMAP). I was looking for one a couple of months ago, and had an incredibly tough time finding anything that met my needs, such as support for multiple accounts, or simple stuff like being able to independently resize the horizontal and vertical size of the plasmoid.

I eventually wound up using a plasmoid that can only check one account, and insists on remaining a square aspect when I resize it... because that was the best I could find.
      Try pressing crtl when trying to resize it.

Comment

lol
        this is NOT a serious suggestion, but a weather widget that does not use wettercom! lol

At least one of the weather widgets used to display U.S. towns, etc. There are a couple of threads in the dungeons that address placing the weather service "numbers" in the various plasmoids to indicate location, the problem then is finding the thread or finding the NOAA subsite that has the numbers! lol

But, again, this is a non-serious suggestion since the weather widgets are made by another guy and seem to be fraught with problems.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
          Try pressing crtl when trying to resize it.
          Thanks for that tip! It does indeed allow me to change the aspect of that plasmoid

Two things are mildly annoying though: 1. that some plasmoids require that trick to alter their aspects (when there is no good reason for it), and 2. that the ctrl-resize feature's "discoverability" is essentially zero (which is why I was unaware of it before now).
          sigpic
          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
            Just as an example of my first plasmoid here it is: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=154575

Its not much but it serves a basic function especially if you edit an application to launch with optirun instad of doing so from a terminal. Its made for the panel and not much else, but it does its job quite well.
            I'd suggest that you create an account at Phoronix forums and post this in the nVidia section. I'm sure the folks there who use KDE would be interested in it.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Oh noes!
              Ok, umm I worked on the package a bit. I did some bug fixes and fixed the way it detects when the card is on. Its definitely installing on my Kubuntu 12.04 VM plus my openSUSE 12.2 desktop and Fedora VM. So try the new package, if it still doesn't install then I am at a loss. By the way the notifications have been temporarily stopped because it caused hangs on some PCs.

Originally posted by claydoh
              A weather plasmoid like yawp (multiple locations that rotate at regular intervals) that offers a way to switch measurement units on the fly. I am sure this feature will not be a popular one, lol!
              This is reinventing the wheel really. YAWP and CWP are as good as a weather plasmoid could hope to be. Maybe drop the developer an email and see what he can do.

Originally posted by HalationEffect

Do you use a mail client like kmail becuase that already provides a little icon on the panel that notifies you of changes. I can definitely look at this especially if you use Kmail/Akonadi because there are great bindings for it if you want a new more advanced version of what is already available. If you don't then I can still look at making something.

Originally posted by SteveRiley
              I'd suggest that you create an account at Phoronix forums and post this in the nVidia section. I'm sure the folks there who use KDE would be interested in it.
              That might not be a bad idea, I might do it tonight if I have some free time. I've lurked a lot on phoronix and have always found them to be pro-XFCE and anti-anything else.

Comment

Do you use a mail client like kmail because that already provides a little icon on the panel that notifies you of changes. I can definitely look at this especially if you use Kmail/Akonadi because there are great bindings for it if you want a new more advanced version of what is already available. If you don't then I can still look at making something.
                No, I don't use Kmail (I prefer Thunderbird), but even if I did, I prefer not to leave my email client running all the time. As for Akonadi, I don't allow that to run at all.

What I'm after is a plasmoid that will periodically poll one or more POP3 or IMAP accounts, and let me know (with visual and/or audible notification) when I need to fire up Thunderbird so I can read the new mail. The obvious settings it would need to support include server address & port (and whether the server is POP3 or IMAP), username & password, and polling interval. Support for SSL / TLS would also be very desirable, as would being able to set font sizes & colours for the unread messages counter. Any other features it offered beyond that would merely be icing
                sigpic
                -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
                  No, I don't use Kmail (I prefer Thunderbird), but even if I did, I prefer not to leave my email client running all the time. As for Akonadi, I don't allow that to run at all.

What I'm after is a plasmoid that will periodically poll one or more POP3 or IMAP accounts, and let me know (with visual and/or audible notification) when I need to fire up Thunderbird so I can read the new mail. The obvious settings it would need to support include server address & port (and whether the server is POP3 or IMAP), username & password, and polling interval. Support for SSL / TLS would also be very desirable, as would being able to set font sizes & colours for the unread messages counter. Any other features it offered beyond that would merely be icing
                  Isn't this what you are looking for? http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/plasmaMailChecker?content=140196

If its not qhat you were looking for or close to it then I definitely think I can figure something out that works for you.

Comment

Isn't this what you are looking for? http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/plasmaMailChecker?content=140196

If its not qhat you were looking for or close to it then I definitely think I can figure something out that works for you.
                    That particular plasmoid came soooo close to what I was looking for, when I checked it out a few months ago... what killed it for me was that I wanted to embed it into the panel to the right of the task manager and left of the system tray and digital clock, and the plasmoid doesn't scale down well... I had to make the panel much taller than I wanted to get the plasmoid to fit into it, and it takes up a ton of horizontal space in the panel too. Also, on the desktop I had problems making it non-square, which made it difficult to find a place for it amongst my other desktop widgets.

Thanks for reminding me of that particular plasmoid, I'm going to give it another try, even if that means making room for it on my desktop rather than having it embedded into my panel (I prefer it being in the panel, because it allows me to keep an eye on how many unread messages I have waiting, even while running maximised windows). Now that I know how to resize it to non-square aspects, I've a better chance of fitting it in with the other widgets I have on my desktop
                    Last edited by HalationEffect; Oct 12, 2012, 07:58 AM.
                    sigpic
                    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Please read this:
                      Plasmoid for apps that misbehave
                      http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=89878
                      http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=101946

There is an applet for MATE panel with the same functionality - just to clarify what I mean. You just click on this appleat and then on an application that is not responding.

Comment

This is a plasmoid therefore it will only work on Plasma which means you have to be running KDE4. In other words, if you can see this widget then you know you are using KDE4. It would be super pointless. I don't want to sound insulting but if you can't instantly recognize which desktop you are running then I fear you probably don't know what the different desktops are.
                        OK what about this?

When a person who normally uses Windows is working on my machine, can you create a plasmoid to display a message aimed at that Windows user?

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
                          OK what about this?

When a person who normally uses Windows is working on my machine, can you create a plasmoid to display a message aimed at that Windows user?
                          Elaborate a bit. Do you mean something that guides them through the basics of Plasma?

Comment

Oh noes! (Part duce).

New plasmoid, same problem, same error msg.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by gnomek View Post
                              Please read this:
                              Plasmoid for apps that misbehave
                              http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=89878
                              http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=101946

There is an applet for MATE panel with the same functionality - just to clarify what I mean. You just click on this appleat and then on an application that is not responding.
                              Ok I looked at this. I can't really find any Python Plasma or any other python bindings really for this task. This puts it out of the scope of my abilities. I also think something like this is a bit redundant as KWin detects faulty applications by itself. If you push the close button a few times and the app doesn't respond then kwin makes a little pop-up appear which can help.

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                              Oh noes! (Part duce).

New plasmoid, same problem, same error msg.
                              Sorry but I just can't reproduce it. Mind trying to install it from the commandline with plasmapkg -i Bumblebee_Plasmoid.plasmoid (or whatever its name is) then maybe posting the output for me.

Comment

plasmapkg -i 154575-Bumblebee_Plasmoid.plasmoid
                                plasmapkg(7735)/libplasma Plasma::PackageStructurePrivate::createPackageMeta data: No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/tmp/kde-jerry/plasmapkgLwFGDa//metadata.desktop"
                                plasmapkg(7735)/libplasma Plasma::Package::installPackage: "/home/jerry/.kde/share/apps/plasma/plasmoids//Bumblebee_Status" already exists
                                Installation of /home/jerry/Downloads/154575-Bumblebee_Plasmoid.plasmoid failed.
                                I deleted the existing directory, which was created by the first installation.

jerry@jerry-Aspire-V3-771:~/Downloads$ plasmapkg -i 154575-Bumblebee_Plasmoid.plasmoid
                                plasmapkg(7810)/libplasma Plasma::PackageStructurePrivate::createPackageMeta data: No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/tmp/kde-jerry/plasmapkgJWkTJ4//metadata.desktop"
                                plasmapkg(7810)/libplasma Plasma::Package::installPackage: Could not register package as service (this is not necessarily fatal): "plasma-applet-Bumblebee_Status"
                                Successfully installed /home/jerry/Downloads/154575-Bumblebee_Plasmoid.plasmoid

What's a good way to manually "register" your plasmoid?
                                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                                X