Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've network shared my two PC's - YEAH!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've network shared my two PC's - YEAH!!

Okay, so maybe others reading the title might be saying "Yeah, so? It's easy to do." Maybe so, but it eluded me until just now.

I have two laptops, both running Kubuntu; 12.04 64-bit on one and 12.10 32-bit on the other. Both are connected to my Linksys router (WRT54GL). I'm already using QuickSynergy so I can utilize the keyboard and mouse connected to my 'main' laptop to control the 'secondary' laptop, both which sit next to each other on my table top.

I just finished following Little Girl's Mostly Linux Blog - NFS HowTo.

The only 'change' in the instructions are where it says to install portmap and to reconfigure portmap. portmap has been replaced with rpcbind. Other than that, following the instructions results in both laptops seeing and being able to share each others home folder. Cool. Really cool.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 02, 2013, 02:56 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Good Job! It still amazes me that something as simple as NFS file sharing (waaaay easier than samba) hasn't a GUI tool yet.

Showhog: The most difficult part is file ownership/permissions if you have multiple users. There are (typical linux) several different ways to manage that, so if you need advice, let me know.

Please Read Me

Comment

yup I keep that NFS how to bookmarked , unfortunately I have only 1 Kubuntu box now ,,,,,,,but it is still setup for NFS connections when I get a new/another one

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Good Job! It still amazes me that something as simple as NFS file sharing (waaaay easier than samba) hasn't a GUI tool yet.

Showhog: The most difficult part is file ownership/permissions if you have multiple users. There are (typical linux) several different ways to manage that, so if you need advice, let me know.
        I'll keep that in mind. However, unless I have a disagreement with me or myself, I'll be the only one doing the sharing between the two PC's.
        Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 02, 2013, 02:55 PM.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X