Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found something interesting...about Google's browser.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found something interesting...about Google's browser.

I came across this blogger rant, I don't know how much to believe.

http://webupon.com/browsers/google-behind-the-lies/

I was thinking about using Google Browser but... until I know for sure, I am sticking with the ReKonq. :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRWare_Iron

SRWare Iron, or simply Iron, is a free and open-source web browser implementation of theChromium source code[2] which primarily aims to eliminate usage tracking and other privacy-compromising functionality that the Google Chrome browser includes.[3] While Iron does not provide extra privacy compared to Chromium after proper settings are altered in the latter, it does implement some additional features that distinguish it from Google Chrome, such as built-in ad blocking.
    The following Google Chrome features are not present in Iron:
    • RLZ identifier, an encoded string sent together with all queries to Google or once every 24 hours.
    • Google search access on startup for users with Google as default search
    • A unique ID ("clientID") for identifying the user in logs.
    • A timestamp of when the browser was installed.
    • Google-hosted error pages when a server is not present
    • Google Updater automatic installation.
    • DNS pre-fetching, because it could potentially be used by spammers.
    • Automatic address bar search suggestions.
    • Bug tracking system, sends information about crashes or errors.
    People may complain about ads, and on some sites ads are overwhelming, especially when the ad server is slow AND the rest of the page won't load until the ad server sends a valid response, but when you want free things you have to put up with the ads. That said, there a Chromium ad blockers available at the extension websites.

Google hosting an error page on an html 404 error code is not new with Google. My ISP, Earthlink, does the same thing, or tries to, but Google cuts them off. I prefer Google's interception because my ISP has annoying Yahoo & Bing stuff on their 404 pages.

I like Google "search access".

I want my installation of Google to be automatically updated. That's how it keeps abreast, if not ahead, of exploits and bad guys.

As far as the unique ID, you already have been given that. It's called an "IP address". Quite frankly, I don't believe that search engines that claim they don't keep logs or make links between searchers and IP addresses. They have to do that in one way or another while you are connected to the site, otherwise they'd have no way to return the results of a search to your browser. While they may or may not keep them after you leave the site, as long as your have their page open there is a link between you and the web page you selected from the browse list. Besides, I've long ago given up the idea that, even running Linux with TOR, I can maintain a hidden presence from government snooping. The US Federal government funnels ALL internet traffic in and out of this country through key points where they scan the stream for "suspicious" traffic. Even private companies are getting in on the act. Microsoft, for example (and I doubt they are the only ones), after it recently purchased Skype, installed Linux servers as "skype supernodes" and on each server they installed "LegalIntercept", which they patented. It allows law enforcement to intercept Skype audio and video traffic and record it. If you want to do something illegal in your country and reduce your chances of getting caught then don't involve your PC in any part of it.

DNS pre-fetching is one way Chromium, and now other browsers, speeds up their Internet access. Frankly, I like speed. Spammers may attempt to get in the middle, but that's what the updater is supposed to minimize.
    Chrome uses DNS prefetching to speed up website lookups, as other browsers like Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer (called DNS Pre-resolution), and in Opera as a UserScript (not built-in).
    Installation time stamps is bad? That feature has been around as long as I can remember. When did it become evil? The timestamp is also updated when the file is modified.

Likewise, when did bug tracking become evil? Many Linux applications employ that as well. That's partly how free software is improved ... the user allows the app to send bug reports back to the developers.

RLZ...
    Encoded string, according to Google, contains non-identifying information how Chrome was downloaded and its install week, and is used to measure promotional campaigns. Google provides the source code to decode this string.
    Basically, what it appears that what the author of the article you linked to did was to cherry-pick the Wikipedia page on Google-Chromium and then write an article promoting his favorite browser, SRWare's Iron Browser, which is YAB. If you like it use it, but remember that it is built using Chromium, which puts you one development cycle away from Chromium, just like Mono was always one or more versions behind .NET.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 22, 2012, 09:34 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the writeup GG, very good, as usual.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

So in short you recommend Chromium Developer Builds (http://dev.chromium.org/). I was considering doing that. There isn't much I am missing using ReKonq, at least nothing I can notice. Unless I can get my Netflix back online I have been using my PS3 for that.

Comment

Actually, what I recommend is using what fits your needs and circumstances. I tried Chromium because of its speed at a time when FireFox's 8 pipelines (my settings) weren't matching Chromium's speed. Now it seems that FireFox has caught up, as has most of the others. (Open Source is like that ... improvements by one is soon shared by all). At times I prefer FireFox because it allows downloading of video clips in circumstances that Chromium won't.

I am staying with Chromium because I've switched from a local email client to gmail, I prefer hangout to Skype, G+is my news aggregator and web home base, I love GoogleEarth, I have a GDrive (cloud), I use Google Wallet (when I don't use Amazon), and Chromium keeps my bookmarks on Google's cloud so that my saved URLs appear on the Chromium browser I am running on any other computer ... the links update when I log in.

All in all it's making for a very smooth Internet experience.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'll only add that I use SRWare Iron and a host file that blocks the ads and my internet experience is pretty good.

Please Read Me

Comment

And I use Chromium (under Xubuntu 11.10) and also have the Ghostery extension installed to block annoying ads and things. I also use Rekonq under Kubuntu 12.04.

Comment

Working...
              X