X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Pae or 64bit install

I read this article on pae https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE

as some you know i making a leap from a p4 to an amd 8 core .

My question is whats the better way to go

enable this feature and have less hassle with 64 bit or convert because the repos are ready ?

I'd go with 64bit - I know that used to be a real hassle, particularly with Flash, but that seems to be a thing of the past now. I'm running 12.04 64bit and have no problems at with firefox and flash - you tube videos play fine etc. Didn't need to install anything custom, just std kubuntu-restricted-*

This is with a i5-2500 and 8GB of RAM. I run a lot of virtual machines via VirtualBox, so the full 64bitness is very appreciated.

Comment

I'll second the advice for 64-bit.

Comment

Same here, about a year ago I went 64-bit and have not run into problems.
        Unless you have issues with certain programs still pulling in 32-bit libraries to function, an example is Google Earth.
        There's one usenet client I used, Klibido, that is not available in 64-bit but there are plenty of alternatives.

Comment

programs i use a lot are ksplasherx ans gimp . kdelive too so i can then install the 64 12.04 leaiving the 32 intact to pull evythig

Comment

Ditto 64bt - With multi-arch the 32 bit libraries are available if needed, like for Wine.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X