X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
    opportunity to use "flibbertigibbet"
    Only if you promise to clean up after you're done!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Only if you promise to clean up after you're done!
      LOL! I feel dirty now...
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Another you might want to look at is Lucky Backup.
        I am trying Lucky Backup as we speak. It seems to be a nice simple gui at it's core but has the more advanced features for those who want them. However, I can;t seem to figure out how to make it back up my entire OS drive. I could set it to back up my home folder alone, but that seems insufficient in case of a SSD/HDD crash.
        CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
        Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
        Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
        Graphics Card: MSI R7770
        Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
        Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
        PSU: Corsair 520HX
        Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
        Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
        Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

You could try backintime which works pretty well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
            I am trying Lucky Backup as we speak. It seems to be a nice simple gui at it's core but has the more advanced features for those who want them. However, I can;t seem to figure out how to make it back up my entire OS drive. I could set it to back up my home folder alone, but that seems insufficient in case of a SSD/HDD crash.
            You should be able to use "/" as the source to backup the root and everything under it, although it is best to select the "ignore system folders" option when doing that or you will also backup unneeded files/folders (such as /dev or /sys or /proc which are all special file systems mounted in memory and /tmp which isn't needed in a backup).

About the only thing that wont backup is the mbr which can be easily installed again from a livecd if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
              You should be able to use "/" as the source to backup the root and everything under it, although it is best to select the "ignore system folders" option when doing that or you will also backup unneeded files/folders (such as /dev or /sys or /proc which are all special file systems mounted in memory and /tmp which isn't needed in a backup).

About the only thing that wont backup is the mbr which can be easily installed again from a livecd if needed.
              /me smacks self in head, I should have tried manually typing / for source. I was using the tree view gui and it has not option to select /

As for exclusions, thanks for the tip. Do you,or any one else, recommend any other exclusions? I figure Temporary Folders, Trash, and Cache folders are good things to exclude. What about System Mount Folders? On hover it says this will exclude /mnt and /media. If I were to *not* exclude /mnt and /media with this setting, does that mean that it would also try back up all the HDDs listed in my sig? While I would hate to loose the data on those HDDs, I can accept the loss. Technically I could loose my SSD as well, but I would much rather have a SSD(OS) back upto be able to get a functional system back online almost instantly.
              CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
              Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
              Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
              Graphics Card: MSI R7770
              Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
              Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
              PSU: Corsair 520HX
              Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
              Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
              Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

thanks guys, i will try lucky backup

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
                  What about System Mount Folders? On hover it says this will exclude /mnt and /media. If I were to *not* exclude /mnt and /media with this setting, does that mean that it would also try back up all the HDDs listed in my sig? While I would hate to loose the data on those HDDs, I can accept the loss. Technically I could loose my SSD as well, but I would much rather have a SSD(OS) back upto be able to get a functional system back online almost instantly.
                  Nothing is mounted to /mnt automatically, so unless you have mounted something there I would not worry about it.

As for /media, personally I would not backup this as it's contents can change depending on what drives you have plunged in. It is where udev mounts removable media (and media that doesn't have a mount point specified in /etc/fstab) which you might not want backup. Personally I would backup every thing in /media separately and only if needed given that you aren't limited to doing just one backup .

As for your other drives, it depends on where they are mounted, if they are mounted somewhere other then /media (well, and all the other excluded folders) then they should be backup (unless you select the one filesystem only option).

Personally I would backup all the different drives separately (by enabling the one filesystem only option) as this makes it easier to restore the contents back to those drives later as you can mount and rsync back the different drives individually (or just the one that failed).

Comment

Working...
                  X