• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup Program

hey everyone, i am looking for a backup program and have found 3 i like:
    deja-dup
    dirsyncpro
    dar
    does anyone know which one of these are better? or can suggest a better one i missed,
    i am look for something similar to acronis's non-stop backup, as acronis is windows only

Another you might want to look at is Lucky Backup.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

that works very well

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Another you might want to look at is Lucky Backup.

i used it great program i just need to figure out how to tell it now to only copy the new files

Comment

Also, check out this debian link of other backup applications: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/backuptools1.htm

Comment

Originally posted by StarWolf View Post
          i used it great program i just need to figure out how to tell it now to only copy the new files
          Luckybackup is just a front end to rsync, which only copies changes to files rather then everything so it should do this by default (that is new files and changes to old files).

A nice command line tool is rdiff-backup with is a wrapper around rsync and stores incremental backups so you can restore from any point that you took a backup and only uses up the space of the original files plus and changes made (saving allot of space for data that doesn't change often). I don't know any gui front end for it, but I haven't really looked for one so there could be one about.

Comment

I'm happy with rdiff-backup and a cron job but I'll look into those.

I'm also using btrfs so I need to get more into snapshots and their uses, but time is always a factor...

...maybe when I retire again!

EDIT: Here ya go James: http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/in...aces#Linux_KDE

Looks like most of those are abandoned.

Deja-Dup is a Gnome tool so a non-starter for me. dirsyncpro may have some potential.

I really think the future will be advanced file system features like btrfs has to auto-create backups and roll-back functionality. Disk space is getting cheaper all the time.
            Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 27, 2012, 12:35 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              I'm happy with rdiff-backup and a cron job but I'll look into those.
              That's the way I would do it

I'm also using btrfs so I need to get more into snapshots and their uses, but time is always a factor...
              I really think the future will be advanced file system features like btrfs has to auto-create backups and roll-back functionality. Disk space is getting cheaper all the time.
              Yeah, I am using btrfs as well and have setup an hourly cronjob to take a snapshot of my system with little changes to the filesystem there should be little space being taken up by these snapshots. But these are NOT backups or a replacement for a backup system to an external location such as a usb hard drive or networked computer. They merely make it easier to recover little bits of lost data (accidently deleted file or some such) in a working computer but offer no protection against lost or damage to the hardware (like a proper backup system should).

Just so you know, creating a snapshot in btrfs as easy as:
              Code:
              btrfs subvolume snapshot /path/to/subvolume /path/to/snapshot
              assuming both paths belong to the same device that is and that the first path is a subvolume. I tend to add a $(date +%F) or similar to the snapshot path

Comment

Yeah, I was wondering if the btrfs snapshot could be set up like the roll-back feature of windows so you could return to a previous state after a bad edit or update. I envision a daemon that does auto-snapshots whenever a system item is changed and offers a boot-time roll-back in case of a crash. Could be useful.

I agree that the off line backup is required for important data. I have the luxury of a server at home so I dual-backup with my desktop (server-to-desktop, desktop-to-server). Obviously, the server has way more data than my desktop can hold but the irreplaceable stuff (e.g. family photos) are auto-saved.

Please Read Me

Comment

Disk space is getting cheaper all the time.
                  Disk space is filling up ever faster
                  Like my camera delivering photo's in the 40-60 MB range per picture and movies come in at close to 3 MB per second...

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                    Disk space is filling up ever faster..
                    Hmm, which came first, the chicken or the egg?

One could argue that the reduction in cost-per-megabyte begat new devices/software with ever larger space requirements.

Or, if one were a conspiracy theorist one could propose that the companies were in cahoots!

More likely, both trends are a simple extension of Moore's Law.

In my case, after acquiring 4TB of additional space for my server. I re-ripped my 400ish CD collection into flac rather than mp3. So here; the available space begat the file sizes.

p.s. One should never pass up the chance to use the word "cahoots" in a sentence, or "shenanigans"

Please Read Me

Comment

Two people in cahoots often will begat something while engaging in shenanigans
                      Last edited by SteveRiley; Jul 29, 2012, 12:15 AM. Reason: phone-induced typo

Comment

In rural Pennsylvania, engaging in shenanigans is a sin.

Comment

Here in Texas it's mandatory, except before 12 on Sundays. However wearing cahoots is not allowed within 200 feet of a church or school.

Comment

One should never pass up the chance to use the word "cahoots" in a sentence, or "shenanigans"
                            In a similar vein, I'm always on the lookout for any opportunity to use "flibbertigibbet"
                            sigpic
                            "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Well, then, let's not forget:
                              Dingus
                              Thingamabob
                              Dooverlackie
                              Thingamajig
                              Whatsit

Comment

Working...
                              X