This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GIMP magazine

GIMP magazine is to be launched this fall. Some articles will be available starting in august.

I hope this will be the front towards those enthusiast users who think they absolutely need Photoshop.

http://gimpmagazine.org/

b.r

Jonas
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

Comment

That's very good news!

Comment

I'd be interested. Thanks Jonas.
        Linux User #454271

Comment

+1 to the magazine

However, I will say I just upgrading to 2.8.0 and I'm not happy about "save" vs. "export." You now can only save in xcf and must select Export to save in any other format. Seems like an unnecessary complication. If the devs thought a direct save-to-xcf was needed, I would have preferred a separate button for that purpose rather than separate menus. Kind of a small gripe but IMO it makes GIMP menus different from most other programs which is always an annoyance.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            +1 to the magazine

However, I will say I just upgrading to 2.8.0 and I'm not happy about "save" vs. "export." You now can only save in xcf and must select Export to save in any other format. Seems like an unnecessary complication. If the devs thought a direct save-to-xcf was needed, I would have preferred a separate button for that purpose rather than separate menus. Kind of a small gripe but IMO it makes GIMP menus different from most other programs which is always an annoyance.
            I think they do that because the native xcf store everything gimp knows about the file but other formats don't, particularly layers. By exporting it keeps the original file intact. However, it was my impression you could still "save" under a different format through the save file menu, but it will then ask if you want to export it, instead. I could be wrong on that, though.

As for it being different, well, yes it is, but I wouldn't be opposed to the Calligra suite doing the same thing -- save default but let you export back to M$ formats.

Comment

Good points VW, although I might argue that the preferred behavior (IMO of course ) would be to for the "Save" button to save to the opened file's previous format, whatever that is. This is the default behavior for most Office Suites - I use or have used MS 2003,07,10 and Open Office 2-3 and Libre Office is to do this and then "warn" you that you might not be using the best format. GIMP used to do this, but changed with this newest release.

Many comments on the GIMPusers forum agree with me, but someone pointed out over there that it might be that the GIMP devs might be trying to "elevate" GIMP from a work-a-day tool to a professional level program - whatever that is. The new default save behavior is proportedly more like that of Adobe Photoshop.

I guess my real issue is I use GIMP as my casual photo editor - which I could use other tools for most of the time. Too much a creature of habit

Please Read Me

Comment

Good on for GIMP!

woodusesitallthetimesmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
                  I think they do that because the native xcf store everything gimp knows about the file but other formats don't, particularly layers. By exporting it keeps the original file intact. However, it was my impression you could still "save" under a different format through the save file menu, but it will then ask if you want to export it, instead. I could be wrong on that, though.

As for it being different, well, yes it is, but I wouldn't be opposed to the Calligra suite doing the same thing -- save default but let you export back to M$ formats.
                  Yes, I found this annoying at first but soon realized it was to the better. I personally have "lost" work due saving png's instead of xcf.

Notably about GIMP magazine is that they even encourage reviews about their "competitors" software. I find this very sympathetic, and show how strong FOSS software solutions are.

Under submissions ...
                  We need your help to contribute to this magazine:
                  • Your best photography post processed in GIMP / UFRAW etc…
                  • Your most awesome graphic art design created in GIMP
                  • Your GIMP tutorials
                  • Your tips & tricks
                  • Your list of favourite GIMP resources (website URLs)
                  • Your new coolest scripts and plugin descriptions
                  • Even your other open source software reviews
                  • Your favorite hardware reviews
                  • and your most requested future GIMP upgrades / feature requests
                  b.r

Jonas
                  ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                  Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                  Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                  Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                  - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                  >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Just as a comment on the .xcf and .png.

At some time in the past, probably about four years ago, I decieded, procedurally, to get absolutely finished, 100 percent with an image before exporting it to any format.

It wasn't any great discovery on my part; I just started doing it, so that is a nice bit of info for new folks to GIMP.

woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Interesting, I am looking forward to the launch.

B.t.w, as the previews show and the plug-in proves The Gimp is using ufraw as raw importer, I am presently also quite impressed by RawTherapee.

Comment

Working...
                      X