Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advantages of 32bit over 64 bit installation?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While kinda on topic; are you looking forward to the X32 ABI?
    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Some of the packaging situations still piss me off. Take google earth, skype, and wine to name a few. If you download the 64bit versions, you still have to install billions of 32bit libs because the apps are not really 64bit. They only come in a 64bit container to make them easier to install. Google Earth wants to install about 230 32bit libs alone. Other than that 64bit kicks butt. I wonder if the slowness of 64bit adoption will cause it to be overshadowed by X32 or some other future tech?
      Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

I find the idea of the X32 ABI very interesting indeed.

Even apart from the potential performance improvements, if a program that uses X32 has a runaway memory consumption bug, would I be right in thinking that it can't ever gobble up more than 4GB of your RAM?

Although I do wonder if limiting a program to a 32bit address space could have security implications due to ASLR being constrained. Not so much of an issue today, but say 5 or 10 years from now when we all have e.g. 64GB or more of RAM.
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
        X