Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advantages of 32bit over 64 bit installation?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advantages of 32bit over 64 bit installation?

This is mostly an idle question, but I've recently obtained a new (to me) system (Dell Optiplex gx280 dual core 2.8 ghz 64 bit machine with 2 gigs of memory and onboard 3d graphics) and I was wondering if there any advantages to be had doing a 64 bit installation. I've been using the 32 bit since my introduction to Kubuntu in November and have had no troubles or complaints with it. So are there any distinct advantages to a 64 bit in reguards to speed, efficiency or usability? Will there be an overall gain? I'm very interested in methods of optimizing my system. Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanx,
    capt-zero

Yes. In my experience there is about a 15% gain in overall speed running a 64bit Linux kernel.

But, the question I have is: "Are you confusing two threads with two cores?"

I used a gx280 at work in 2005 and it was a Pentium 4, not a dual core. It is not possible to put a dual core in a gx280 mobo. The only possible upgrades are:
    D7459 Prescott P4 Kit, 520, 2.8Ghz, 800FSB, 1MB
    DD517 Prescott P4 64bit Kit, 521, 2.8Ghz, 800FSB, 1MB
    D7460 Prescott P4 Kit, 530, 3.0Ghz, 800FSB, 1MB
    DD519 Prescott P4 64bit Kit, 541, 3.2Ghz, 800FSB, 1MB
    D7462 Prescott P4 Kit, 540, 3.2Ghz, 800FSB, 1MB
    D7463 Prescott P4 Kit, 550, 3.4Ghz, 800FSB, 1MB
    M8964 Prescott P4 Kit, 550, 3.4Ghz, 800FSB, 1MB
    D7464 Prescott P4 Kit, 560, 3.6Ghz, 800FSB, 1MB
    M8965 Prescott P4 Kit, 570, 3.8Ghz, 800FSB, 1MB
    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ug/specs02.htm
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/28...x280-processor

So, for the gx280 I'd recommend that you stay with the 32bit OS.

If the rtc doesn't work you may have to copy the genrtc.ko over rtc.ko. The Linux rtc (Real Time Clock Driver) seems to be incompatible with Dell Optiplex GX280.
    http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/l...ry/000373.html

At the time I ran SuSE 6.4 (IIRC) on that box and didn't run into any trouble with it.

The first thing I'd do is swap out the 40GB HD that is probably in it with one about 10 times larger, or add a second, larger HD and devote the primary to / and the second to /home.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GreyGeek,

I won't question you knowledge, but when I run sysinfo, it tells me that I have 2 P4 processors. The same information also shows up when I check the detailed info in Windows. I'm not familiar with dual core processors, but isn't this what is meant.

capt-zero

Comment

GreyGeek,

I posted the above response before I checked out the links you posted. See if I have this right, with hyperthreading enabled in the bios, the gx280 emulates a dual core in software like sysinfo or the my computer info in Windows?

Comment

"emulates" is the operative word. You do not have two cores. The single core also runs the thread which is interpreted as a second core. A thread running off the cpu is called "Hyper-threading". (Not to be confused with a thread created by an app, which is similar in nature and purpose)

If you run lshw and check the "* cpu" section you'll get the facts. Here is what is on my box:
          Code:
              *-cpu
                    description: CPU
                    product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU       M 370  @ 2.40GHz
                    vendor: Intel Corp.
                    physical id: 1f
                    bus info: cpu@0
                    version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU       M 370  @ 2.40GHz
                    slot: U3E1
                    size: 933MHz
                    capacity: 4GHz
                    width: 64 bits
                    capabilities: [COLOR=#ff0000]x86-64[/COLOR] fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm arat tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid cpufreq
                    configuration: [COLOR=#ff0000][B]cores=2 enabledcores=2 threads=4[/B][/COLOR]
          Each of the two cores on my Acer enables a thread. The cpus counts as two threads and the third and fourth threads are virtual 3rd and 4th cpus.

With lshw your gx280 will show
          "x86"
          and
          "configuration: cores=1 enabledcores=1 threads=2"

Does your gx280 have the default GPU (ATI Radeon X300 SE a.k.a. RV370) ? Use

lspci -nn | grep VGA
          to find out what your GPU is. Then consult this page to see what your options are. Depending on what your GPU is, you may not have 3d accelerated video, or, you may not be able to enable it.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

GreyGeek,

Running lshw as shown gives me a readout of 1 cpu as you said. However, instead of Configuration:cores, ect. it lists configuration id=0 then cache:0 and cache:1, then logical cpu:0 and logical cpu:1 no mention of threads. In reguards to the GPU, instead of the default (ATI Radeon X300 SE) it lists a Nvidia G72 [Geforce 7300 LE]

thanx,
            capt-zero

Comment

Regardless of the core issue, on the topic of, is there an advantage of 64bit over 32bit. It depends.

I ran a 32bit bodhi - As of right now they don't have 64bit system, and the creator swears there's not difference from 64bit. I beg to differ.
              Handbrake running on 64bit ubuntu was more than twice as fast as handbrake running on 32bit bohdi system. Same exact machine.
              Boot Info Script

Comment

Thanks verndog,

I've put two HDDs in the machine since I bought it (a 160 GB and my trusty 80 Gb that has my Kubuntu 12.04 installed and set up) and have reserved 100Gb space to experiment with. I'll probably try a 64 bit install this week and check it out.

capt-zero

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
                  Handbrake running on 64bit ubuntu was more than twice as fast as handbrake running on 32bit bohdi system. Same exact machine.
                  That's because for every clock cycle, the CPU processes twice the amount of data. Many desktop tasks benefit from this: compression/decompression, encoding/decoding, encrypting/decrypting... the list goes on.

Phoronix has a pretty revealing benchmark test, too. Page 8 shows the charts for video en/decoding.

(Shameless plug: my script for blocking ads will make your experience on the Phoronix web site muuuuuuuch more enjoyable.)

Comment

Originally posted by capt-zero View Post
                    GreyGeek,
                    ...... a Nvidia G72 [Geforce 7300 LE]
                    The NVIDIA code name for your card is "NV46 (G72)" . The Linux "noueveau" NVIDIA driver wiki is in the repository as xserver-xorg-video-nouveau. I don't know if it supports accelerated video or not. Sometimes it can use a boost:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental

If nouveau is already installed then only the second package needs to be added.

The NVIDIA 173 driver is also in the repository but has "unmet dependency" problems which prevent it from being installed on Precise. The following bug report will be useful:
                    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat...filter=oneiric
                    The bug was assigned to a developer YESTERSAY, 6/20/12. So it may a month or more before it is resolved and filters down.
                    Read ALL the messages! They give valuable insight into the NVIDIA problem and some folks work-a-rounds.

One can always try the NVIDIA proprietary binary 173.14 driver for your 7300LE: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...31-driver.html

If you install the proprietary driver be sure to uninstall the nouveau and any other nvidia drivers that are installed FIRST. Then log out and back in. If nothing else you will come up with a standard VESA screen with no acceleration. Then install the proprietary binary. In fact, it is always a good idea to completely uninstall any previously used video drivers before installing another one.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 21, 2012, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks, GreyGeek, I'll check it out. I've been using the default "nvidia 195.40" driver I believe. I know I've heard a lot of negative things about it, but so far no problems.

By the way, referring to your earlier post, did I understand you to say the gx280 can't even be upgraded to a dual core. It has the 775 socket.

thanx,
                      capt-zero

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                        (Shameless plug: my script for blocking ads will make your experience on the Phoronix web site muuuuuuuch more enjoyable.)
                        So ... would this be anything to do with trying to worm your way in and eat Phoronix from the inside?

... I'll run away and hide now ...
                        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

On topic: the advantages of a 64 bit installation are performance - better in many workloads and worse only in some very unusual workloads if at all - and memory addressing, although PAE goes a long way to cover that.

The only real benefits of 32 bit installations are slightly smaller disk and memory usage (by a few % I would guess), and the lack in some areas of updated packages (like Flash and not much else).
                          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                            So ... would this be anything to do with trying to worm your way in and eat Phoronix from the inside?
                            ALL YOUR LINUX FORA ARE BELONG TO ME!

bwahahahahahahahaha!

Comment

I haven't had that good a laugh in months!

Comment

Working...
                              X