Clear All

"Making kubuntu use less memory"

May interest / low memory systems:

http://planetkde.org/
    --> http://shaforostoff.blogspot.com/201...ss-memory.html
    Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Thanks man some of this helped out quite a bit.

I'm a GNOME user mostly and have just recently started using KDE as my primary DE ( mostly because of GNOME3 and unity being terrible), so these tips help the KDE converters.

Comment

I've followed the instructions to disable nepomuk, but still the nepomukserver starts, using memory, but annoyingly nagging about 5 minutes after log in with several panicky messages about nepomuk being disabled.

I've copied nepomukserver.desktop to .kde/share/autostart, so that I can use System settings->Startup and shutdown->Autostart to mark Nepomuk server as disabled, and the .desktop file has Hidden=true, but still it starts and appears to start several akonadi_nepomuk_*_feeder processes. I don't use kmail, kcontact or kcalendar, so there's no point feeding their stuff to nepomuk.

How do I stop it from starting?
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        I've followed the instructions to disable nepomuk, but still the nepomukserver starts, using memory, but annoyingly nagging about 5 minutes after log in with several panicky messages about nepomuk being disabled.

I've copied nepomukserver.desktop to .kde/share/autostart, so that I can use System settings->Startup and shutdown->Autostart to mark Nepomuk server as disabled, and the .desktop file has Hidden=true, but still it starts and appears to start several akonadi_nepomuk_*_feeder processes. I don't use kmail, kcontact or kcalendar, so there's no point feeding their stuff to nepomuk.

How do I stop it from starting?

It will start automatically if something needs it and a lot of things might use it. Start muon package manager (or you can do this with apt-get if you prefer) and select it to uninstall and scan the list of packages that would be uninstalled along with it. Running any of those packages also starts nepomuk. BTW, I wouldn't actually uninstall it.

Comment

Would uninstalling kubuntu-low-fat-settings automatically undo the changes to desktop effects, etc. ?

I might give it a try on an older machine a friend has which currently runs Kubuntu 11.10.
          "Just keep on learning. Little by little... If you're empty, then you can take in anything. If you want to be reborn, then it's in your best interest to become empty." - Vinland Saga

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
            It will start automatically if something needs it and a lot of things might use it. Start muon package manager (or you can do this with apt-get if you prefer) and select it to uninstall and scan the list of packages that would be uninstalled along with it. Running any of those packages also starts nepomuk.
            Well, the list includes most of KDE, particularly kwin, so is not useful. If nepomuk has been disabled, then everything shouldn't try to use it.

I'll try zapping the akonadi feeder stuff through the akonadi console. There's a thread on http://blogs.kde.org/node/4457 which talks of changing files in /usr/share/akonadi/agents/, which doesn't sound a good idea going forward, in that an upgrade might overwrite the changes.
            Does anyone know a local way to disable the akonadi feeder stuff? I don't use mail, calendar, or contact clients, so running this stuff is a complete waste.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

One of the "effects" of disabling the evil trinity (nepomuk, strigi, akonadi) in 12.04 is kactivitymanager spamming errors continously to ~/.xsession-errors until your home is full. This has been reported, but not fixed.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by jovin View Post
                Would uninstalling kubuntu-low-fat-settings automatically undo the changes to desktop effects, etc. ?

I might give it a try on an older machine a friend has which currently runs Kubuntu 11.10.
                No. Uninstalling kubuntu-low-fat-settings does not reset the settings back to what they were.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  Well, the list includes most of KDE, particularly kwin, so is not useful. If nepomuk has been disabled, then everything shouldn't try to use it.

I'll try zapping the akonadi feeder stuff through the akonadi console. There's a thread on http://blogs.kde.org/node/4457 which talks of changing files in /usr/share/akonadi/agents/, which doesn't sound a good idea going forward, in that an upgrade might overwrite the changes.
                  Does anyone know a local way to disable the akonadi feeder stuff? I don't use mail, calendar, or contact clients, so running this stuff is a complete waste.
                  I didn't mean the kde underlying stuff, like kwin. But for instance on my install, it includes firefox. What I was getting at was whether or not there were applications you have installed that require it other than the usual calendar, mail, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    One of the "effects" of disabling the evil trinity (nepomuk, strigi, akonadi) in 12.04 is kactivitymanager spamming errors continously to ~/.xsession-errors until your home is full. This has been reported, but not fixed.
                    Just turning off Nepomuk Semantic Desktop (unchecking it), doesn't cause this problem, at least not for me in 12.04. How are you disabling them?

Comment

I found this interesting tidbit in the comments section:
                      Also, if you don't have this one, create a folder in your ~ directory called .compose-cache:

mkdir ~/.compose-cache

You will notice apps will start a little bit faster.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
                        Just turning off Nepomuk Semantic Desktop (unchecking it), doesn't cause this problem, at least not for me in 12.04. How are you disabling them?
                        Turning off Nepomuk is only one small part of the trio. If you follow the advice on the link on post #1 and are using 12.04 - that is when you'll get the log spamming.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                        X