This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgive me, KFN, for I have sinned

It has been four days since my latest experiment. I accuse myself of the following sin: after netinstall-ing 11.10 on my Mini (again) I sudo apt-got gnome-shell gnome-core gedit gksu gnome-tweak-tool and ... and ... I wasn't horrified!

While I'd never use it for my daily work (can't imagine all that cursoring on a 22" monitor), Gnome Shell seems rather at home on a netbook. Egads, what's come over me?

Please, I beg, say the words of absolution, so I may begin my Act of Kontrition!

Re: Forgive me, KFN, for I have sinned

You're forgiven, my son. JUST DON'T EVER LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Since we're discussing GNOME... When I attempt to log in on my BRAND NEW, whiz bang, quad core laptop with GNOME, I get an error message saying my hardware isn't sufficient to support Unity (or something like that). Huh?! I started to take a look at this page about Unity's graphics requirements but, frankly, I didn't care enough to read it. I've only attempted to log in using GNOME twice since I got this laptop, so it's not like this is a big deal, but it does leave me scratching my head.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

How does the Gnome Shell look and feel in 3.2 compared to 3.0? I was thinking of doing the same thing, that is experimenting with GS.
        The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
          I get an error message saying my hardware isn't sufficient to support Unity (or something like that).
          That's weird... can you log on to Unity 2D, like in the screenshot below? 2D uses Metacity rather than Compiz for window management, which is less resource-intensive. Dunno what else to suggest, as I've spent very little time with it.

[img width=360]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Xy5qr5uzRyc/TpbrJv_uXII/AAAAAAAAGQs/XP-lr6hX4I8/ubuntu2d.png[/img]

Originally posted by bsniadajewski
          How does the Gnome Shell look and feel in 3.2 compared to 3.0?
          Look and feel is largely unchanged; a few enhancements are scattered about. Alin Andrei wrote a concise review on Web Upd8 with plenty of screenshots. Some of GNOME 3.2's features aren't in Oneiric's repository, though, so you'll need to add Alin's GNOME 3 PPA.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
            I get an error message saying my hardware isn't sufficient to support Unity (or something like that).
            That's weird... can you log on to Unity 2D, like in the screenshot below? 2D uses Metacity rather than Compiz for window management, which is less resource-intensive.
            I don't recall seeing an option like that, but next time I log out I'll give it a closer look. However, this laptop is MIGHTILY able to handle every conceivable desktop effect on KDE, so I don't see why it wouldn't be sufficient for GNOME/Unity/whatever the hell they call it now!

Comment

I don't recall seeing an option like that, but next time I log out I'll give it a closer look. However, this laptop is MIGHTILY able to handle every conceivable desktop effect on KDE, so I don't see why it wouldn't be sufficient for GNOME/Unity/whatever the hell they call it now!
              Increasingly, Unity <> GNOME.

You might be getting the error because you need proprietary drivers for your card...what kind of graphics do you have? Try booting to 2D and running jockey-gtk or to a command line and running jockey-text. That just might get you the correct driver. Unity 3D won't work if it can't figure out how to activate OpenGL on your laptop.

Besides, you just might like 2D better anyway. It's written in Qt (!) and uses XRender for transparency, much like the distro we here prefer

Comment

Sorry, late to the thread as I have been on self-imposed sabatical (as DYK noted elsewhere ):

Steve, your OP made me feel rather "soiled" - I ran and took a shower...

Actually, I'm planning to test out the newer Unity and Gnome in April. I just don't have time at the mo' so I'd thought I wait for the 12.04 release.

Please Read Me

Comment

I forgot all about this thread.

Turns out I did not have a Unity 2D choice, so I installed it. I can log in and everything looks good. It's nice, but doesn't hold a candle to KDE, in my opinion. Strangely, now when I log in to "Ubuntu" I no longer get that error message, but there's NOTHING there, just my wallpaper. No panels, no menus, no right-click-activated anything, just nothing.

Let me point out that I really don't care, so please don't anyone waste time on this. I'll just stick with KDE.

Comment

You're forgiven, my son. JUST DON'T EVER LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!
                    Not so fast!!!

He's got to say 10 "Hail Stallman's"
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                      Ew. Just...ick.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
                        Originally posted by GreyGeek
                        Ew. Just...ick.
                        Perhaps, but a good punishment nevertheless. Get with it, young man.

Comment

Hail Stallman, full of indignation.
                          Our copy is left with thee.
                          Noisy art thou among the hirsute,
                          and invisible is the fruit of thy code,
                          Hurd.
                          Stubborn Richard, father of GNU,
                          chill-out for us Linuxers,
                          now and at the cron of our tab.
                          Kmen.

Comment

I laughed so long I couldn't catch my breath!!!!

Steve, for no other reason coming to Kubuntuforums just to read your posts is worth it. 8)
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Glad you liked it! It was fun to write

You'll note there's an edit... I changed the final "Amen" to "Kmen" a few minutes after I first posted it. Dunno why that didn't occur to me at first, heh...

Comment

Working...
                              X