Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STEAMers - Windows games ? Anyone remember Loki Games?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STEAMers - Windows games ? Anyone remember Loki Games?

I was throwing away some old PC junk from my office closet and I found my old Railroad Tycoon II "Gold" Edition cdrom game in there. Dang I loved that game! I originally played it in version 1 on a...

...wait for it...

...Apple 2c!

I had all the Loki games back in the day - Quake, Sim City 3000, Runes, Soldier of Fortune... I could go on. ANYway, the find got me thinking that maybe since Steam is around I could re-live my youth (ok, ok, "young adulthood") and play RT II again.

And guess what!?! It's on Steam in the "Platinum" version along with RT III and Sid Meyer's Railroads for only $15 bucks for all three! But my heart sank when I saw the windows icon but NO Steam OS or Linux one.

I have a legal Windows 10 VM. I'm considering using it to play the games but it feels like I'm being unfaithful. Like I want to go wash my hands after just thinking about it.

Just wondering if anyone else here does this sort of thing...

Please Read Me

Still might run via Proton. Works well for modern WIndows only games (Metro Exodus)
    The first PC game I ever payed, System Shock 2 (1999) is on Steam. It runs rather well on my PC.
    I have never played a Steam game in Windows, though I have gone as far as running a benchmark for one of the recent Tomb Raider games there. Can't recall the outcome, but not playing the game in Windows must mean it was not different enough from Linux gameplay on my hardware.

https://www.protondb.com/ maybe the games are in there

Steam Play settings can be adjusted to try different Proton version, and to try it for all games, which opens up the ability to install any game.

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-insta...-play-on-linux

Comment

Yup, After I posted this I went looking for options and found out about Proton - I'm not a big gamer and had never heard of it. I found out the two games I really wanted were rated "platinum" by the Proton folks so I dug in.

All I really had to do was enable Beta level in Steam and enable Proton. Then I bought the games and started playing right away. RT II plays exactly the same as I remember! I'm looking forward to RT III after I re-do RT II all the way through!

Please Read Me

Comment

Proton has been around for some time now, and does quite well with older games. My son runs geometry dash on an old i3 laptop via proton. I can run Skyrim, NWN2, the divinity series and Kingdoms of Amalur under dxvk now.

If you have newer AMD hardware, proton delivers impressive performance:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...radv-aco&num=3

After 5 years I finally ditched nvidia and went with an AMD GPU, and I'm impressed.

Comment

My nVidia card was giving me grief so I pulled it out and have been using the native Intel GPU in my i7. I've been looking at the RX 5700XT Overclocked Asus ROG Strix card, but $450 is kind of a lot for what use I'll get out of it. I'm thinking I'm a year out from a new build so I'll probably just leave is as is until I have a reason to pull the trigger - like a good sale.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have an Rx 5700 non XT i picked up for 450$ in June (Canadian bucks). So your price for an XT is pretty good.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X