Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WINE and StarCraft 2 - any experience here? A couple issues I could use help with

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WINE and StarCraft 2 - any experience here? A couple issues I could use help with

I haven't used WINE or played many games in quite a while. Today, I installed the latest WINE stable release - 3.0 and downloaded and installed StarCraft 2 from Blizzard.

Amazingly, it installed pretty much as-is and played/ran rather well, except 3 issues:

1) No audio. To be precise, an occasional audio noise, less than a second and not very often. Both game and winecfg set at "System Default" as there is only one - pulseaudio.

2) Resolution was wonky. When started full-screen, it expanded to full screen size but it was somewhat stretched. I assume this was due to my resolution not being supported 3840x1600. I switched to "Windowed" mode and that worked, but was smallish - like 1280x1024 - and wouldn't expand to fill the window when I enlarged it. It had a "Windowed - Full screen" mode that I tried next. That actually worked well enough. The image filled the screen top-to-bottom, was centered, but had an unused area at each side. Looked something like 3000x1600, and did not have a frame or decorations. My preference would be either Windowed and expandable, or full-screen with the correct resolution. As it is now, I can live with it.

3) Wouldn't die gracefully. I had to kill it manually. I did discover several Starcraft and Agent (the Blizzard on-line agent) tasks running - like 4 of each. Maybe this was caused by the installation and various things I tried - like re-launching it with different window modes. I'll have to try this again.

Just curious if anyone else here had experience with this or tried it.

Please Read Me

Typical, I posted too soon;

1) Upon re-launching, the audio worked fine. Must have be the multiple instances running.

2) Resolution still a bit wonky, but livable. Upon re-launch, Windowed Full-Screen filled the screen to the left and covered the far right with black - which is better than before and even playable. Windowed mode worked better - it expanded, sort of. I had to play with the window size to get it to fill vertically correctly. If I had the window too narrow or wide, the lower menu is cut-off making it unplayable. However, I found a suitable size that worked. At least this time, it's scaling correctly and not stretching the pixels. Fullscreen still doesn't work well. Also, switching to fullscreen killed pulseaudio completely.

3) Died this time, but leaves behind one process - something called "Agent.exe" which is an error reporting tool I think.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X