Anyone else still playing Pingus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else still playing Pingus?

Years ago I scoured the 'net for Pingus levels but really never had the time to play many them. I have 788 various levels, although I believe some of the levelsets have duplicates.

I been killing time between emails when I'm on help desk duties so I've played quite a few over the last couple weeks.

Just wondering if anyone else enjoys this old game. Still runs perfectly on my updated KDEneon install!

Please Read Me

I have stopped playing games intensively on the computer about 15 years ago (mostly on macOS and some on Windows) when I bought a Playstation, which is my preferred gaming platform nowadays.

But because of your post I just installed Pingus on both Debian and Kubuntu - thank you. :-)
    It seems quite nice (just played the tutorial for a bit) and I will look into it when I have some more time. The only games I have briefly played so far on Linux during the last couple of years are some KDE games (KMahjongg, KPatience and KSudoku), Neverball and 0ad.

Rescue them all!
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Be careful! Those little guys will suck away hours if you let them!

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes, I still play it.
        I've a Dutch system, so maybe the names of the buttons etc are a bit different.
        If I click in the main screen on 'Levelsets' I get some additional levels.
        If you start on the commandline pingus like this:
        pingus --developer-mode
        you can play all sets in /usr/share/games/pingus. You can also click in the main screem on Ctrl+M tot get in developer mode.
        It's a nice game, I think. I really like those simple games. But it has something masochistic, because I don't come any further anymore

Comment

Go into the "levelsets" folder and look for this line: (developer-only #t) in the *.levelset files. Change the "t" to "f" and it should show in your normal Levelsets menu.

The largest single source I've found for levels is here: http://www.maria-kaldewey.de/pingus-englisch.html

​The "Mary's Choice" sets are levels from the other levelsets and I saw nothing unique in them so you can skip those. Some of the levels are not playing because they aren't complete. I went though mine a while ago but got busy with other things and never completed it.

If you find any other sources for original and new levels please post a link.

Please Read Me

Comment

So here's the top of the levelset files:

Code:
            ;; -*- scheme -*-
            (pingus-levelset
            (title "Alien by Josh Dye")
            (description "Escape from alien")
            (image "levelsets/alien")
            (developer-only #f)
            (priority 6)
            (locked #t)
            (levels​~~~
            • "developer-only" set to "f" means the level will show in the levelsets menu, "t" means only in the developer menu.
            • "priority" sorts the levelsets menu with the highest priority at the top.
            • "locked" set to "t" means each level is locked until you complete the one before it. This is useful to change to "f" if you're stuck on a level but want to play the rest of the levels.
            The level files also have some useful editable info in the header file like;
            • "actions" - how many of each type of Pingus you get.
            • "time" to complete the level. Setting this at -1 means no timer.
            • "number-of-pingus" and "number-to-save" obviously menas those things.
            Most of the other stuff doesn't matter much re. playing the level. I have really found much in the way of documentation to explain the content of the level files but some of it can be figured out. I've found a couple levels with mistakes like the height of the ext being unreachable through any means and a slight adjustment to the position fixed it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Just found this:

https://github.com/AMDmi3/pingus

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X