This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Game on the Horizon?

I do realize not everyone is 100% honest as the day is long. However I was speaking with someone on Facebook claiming to be a fresh hire of an upcoming online game company. He is the community manager for something called "The Possessed". I tried to pump him for more information but he clammed up and said the official disclosure of this project is months down the road. The only reason he told me anything was we were discussing Linux OS and he was asking my opinion... he was pumping me about which distro I thought was best and why I was into Linux over Windows. Then he explained about this game being programmed and released on Linux OS and then later ported to Windows.

I don't know, sounds very weird to have a major release to Linux first and then go Windows. I don't know much about the gaming industry, but I think that was how they made Portal and Half Life?? I know the game is still in pre alpha. I tried doing a search and nothing is popping up. I sure hope he is telling me the honest truth, because it would be nice for once to have all the Windows users wait for us to get first shot at the game. I will keep you posted on this, if anything other than rumors develop.

I agree, I hope that is true. Would be nice for once!

Comment

Found this:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...UwtMERFV1MxT2c

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Good grab. Thanks, I found this as well. I searched "Jam Games Possessed".

http://animal-jam-clans-1.wikia.com/wiki/Possessed

But the person I spoke with was saying it was Linux only and the files I found are Windows related. I will send the link and ask him if I am hot or cold? Because he said "Non disclosure for the next few months" a wiki with that much information is very much in violation. I would tell you his name but he said he just started the job and I don't want him to land in hot water with the boss.

Comment

It's not uncommon for game and app developers to "promise" a Linux version of their product in order to exploit the willingness of opensource & GPL advocates to pitch in and help, thinking that their efforts will lead to a free Linux version. Apple did this big time to get free developer help for their Mac OS (Remember Darwin?). QCad did the same thing. After they got their app developed and the major bugs worked out, at the free expense of our time and effort, they'd release a Windows version and ignore Linux, or let it lag in obscurity.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            It's not uncommon for game and app developers to "promise" a Linux version of their product in order to exploit the willingness of opensource & GPL advocates to pitch in and help, thinking that their efforts will lead to a free Linux version. Apple did this big time to get free developer help for their Mac OS (Remember Darwin?). QCad did the same thing. After they got their app developed and the major bugs worked out, at the free expense of our time and effort, they'd release a Windows version and ignore Linux, or let it lag in obscurity.
            Interesting theory. However, it seems unlikely in this case. Since they're not releasing any info at all, they wouldn't be getting much development help from other outside the company.

Another plausible theory is the game designer (not a coder) came up with the concept for the game, fleshed out the idea assuming it would be windows based, had a chat with his mates who explained the virtues of developing it the other direction - Linux first - and they formed a company to begin work on it. Extrapolating further, they are now going to get the game to an "Alpha" state with proper copywrites in place, then release it to the Linux world for testing and debugging.

In today's business climate, once they have a product and a cohesive team, the management will position them to be bought out by a larger company so they can cash in while still in their twenties.

Please Read Me

Comment

My friend Nick, talked to his bosses (all three of them) today and told me the following. The game is being written in a language called Python? I know nothing about Python except it is on my PC. The developers are busy making programs, 3D models, and videos. Nick says once they have an alpha it will be released to the Linux community first.
              Here is what he gave me on the rest;
              No, those links you gave me are not the project, it is completely written in python as I am told is a cross platform language. I asked at work and got the nod from the three neckbeards to release some technical information only. As they don't want some greedy publisher to steal their ideas out from under them.

When will the project be in alpha? It could be more than year before that happens. The marketing department is looking into getting sponsorship from some major companies. The big reason for all the "cloak and dagger" is the developers are from other software companies and could lose their current jobs before the new company takes flight. They are going to build this regardless of funding and have invested too much time and money to abandon it. Here is a planned feature list;

Cross Platform - Windows, Linux, MAC OSX - not a webpage application.
              True Free to Play - No grinding for diamonds, rubies, etc. Items sold in game for cash are fashion items only.
              Backwards Compatible - Low system requirements.
              Lagless Server - No rubber-banding and fewer disconnects.
              User Generated Content - Players can create usable story content and will be given game credits called "bucks".
              LAN and Offline Playable Mode - Limited playable content without internet connection.
              Specialized Chat Filters - A single word that offends one person might not offend all. Players will go to extremes to bypass chat filters. For this reason the filter in your hands.
              Custom User Interface - highly custom HUD.

If you know of people who work in python or have skills, once the funding comes in they will be contracting talent on the internet. For now the game is being made for Linux users first.
              That is all of what Nick told me. Now you can discuss it. I can't wait for alpha-testing.

Comment

Sounds similar to a Java based type game if written in Python. Though I do think GT can handle Python. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X