This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Game Upgrading Linux Out

I have played "Star Trek Online" by Cryptic Studios for years now. Alas they are upgrading the game to DX 10&11 for Windows 7,8, and 10. I have been using WINE to play this game but WINE development has not progressed to that level of compatibility. It could be a lot worse, I use to subscribe to the game back in 2011 and in 2012 it went free to play with an item mall. It is not like my account will go away or virtual items.

Yesterday when I logged into the game, I got a notice saying the XP OS would not be supported. So I went into WINE configuration and said, this is Windows 7. The message went away and was replaced with this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	error.png
Views:	1
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	649160

I will miss my ST Online, but I have other games and amusements that continue to function. All those hardware and Windows elitists can talk all they want, just wait until I build an awesome game that requires a 128 bit processor, 64 TB GPU card, 512 TB of free drive space, and ALL the RAM available on the internet servers combined and then some. Bwah Hahaha!!

You should notify them - if you haven't already - that computer geeks often don't use winblows...

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, if you're using a desktop, I have two 8800 GT Alpha Dog XXX video cards, complete with air and water cooling parts and an SLI bridge. All yours for the price of shipping!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        BTW, if you're using a desktop, I have two 8800 GT Alpha Dog XXX video cards, complete with air and water cooling parts and an SLI bridge. All yours for the price of shipping!
        I know it's "The Season For Giving"TM, but dang that's still mighty generous! I hope he takes you up on it and is able to continue playing a game that he obviously enjoys
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Yes I am currently running on a laptop. I do appreciate the offer. However it is not the graphics card, it is the version of Direct X. The WINE converts Direct X into OpenGL using fake dll calls. This allowed me to play at version DX 9 for many years. Sadly until the developers of WINE get the version 10 and 11 working not many new game will make the crossover.

I still have plenty here to enjoy especially my Linux versions of Portal 1&2 and Boarderlands 1&2. Apparently Cryptic Studios doesn't want my money as bad as I thought they did?

Comment

Portal is fun!
            My 10 year old grandson never played it before but is so accustom to digital games figured it out faster than I could explain it to him. CastleStory is another interesting Steam game.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Have you and your grandson played Portal 2?
              There is a rather nasty potato you have as a companion.
              LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                Have you and your grandson played Portal 2?
                There is a rather nasty potato you have as a companion.
                LOL

He sure is!
                I purchased Portal 2 for my older grandson on his Windows machine, but I have only the first Portal for my laptop. I am not sure that Portal 2 is still available for Linux?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Available on Steam for Linux.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/620/

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                    Available on Steam for Linux.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/620/

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!
                    Thanks! (Wonder why it didn't show up in my search?)

Comment

Working...
                    X