This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winecfg broken, lost connection to mount manager

My winecfg program says 'failed to connect to mount manager' so, wine is dead in the water! I even tried uninstalling wine and wine triks. Still no drives. I recently got a bunch of updates to kubuntu and when i rebooted I found i had to go into safe mode and run dpkg to repair the packages. It seems the update process some how messed up my system clock which broke a lot of packages! Mabey it broke the mount manager too. Here is the bash of trying to run winecfg:

steve7233@steve7233-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~$ winecfg
    errrocess:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows" could not be created, error 2
    errrocess:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows\\system32" could not be created, error 3
    errrocess:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows\\syswow64" could not be created, error 3
    err:file:init_redirects cannot open L"C:\\windows" (c000000f)
    errrocess:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows" could not be created, error 2
    errrocess:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows\\system32" could not be created, error 3
    errrocess:init_windows_dirs directory L"C:\\windows\\syswow64" could not be created, error 3
    err:wineboot:main Cannot set the dir to L"C:\\windows" (2)
    err:wineboot:ProcessRunKeys Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (2)
    fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"MountMgr" failed to start: 3
    fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"PlugPlay" failed to start: 2
    err:winecfgpen_mountmgr failed to open mount manager err 2
    errle:CoGetClassObject class {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} not registered
    errle:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} could be created for context 0x1
    steve7233@steve7233-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~$

Any idea what needs fixing and how to fix it?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 06, 2012, 09:59 AM.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

I just installed Synaptic so i could use the completly remove option then I added the win apt for ubuntu and installed 1.5. I ran winecfg and its still broke! It still can't mount the drives! > I think the kubuntu updates broke my new kubuntu 12.04.1 install! This morning it wouldn't boot. I had to recovery mode and run the package repair tool. The date on many of my packages was a little in the future. After the repair i was able to boot into kubuntu 12.04.1. I won't upgrade any more for fear it will break some more!
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

IMO, the problem isn't the 12.04 updates. I and a lot of people are updating regularly and there are no postings indicating wide spread update failures. The problem is WINE. Each update seems to break the previous wine bootles/config files, and it works only on a limited number of apps. It also has the nasty habit of hijacking your media mimes. IF you need to run Windows the best option is to install a copy of it under a VM or dual boot.

I'd purge WINE. You'll probably have to manually delete the hidden WINE subdirectory under your home account, and edit SystemSettings-->File Associations to redirect any associations back to their normal settings.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 06, 2012, 06:05 AM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        IMO, the problem isn't the 12.04 updates. I and a lot of people are updating regularly and there are no postings indicating wide spread update failures. The problem is WINE. Each update seems to break the previous wine bootles/config files, and it works only on a limited number of apps. It also has the nasty habit of hijacking your media mimes. IF you need to run Windows the best option is to install a copy of it under a VM or dual boot.

I'd purge WINE. You'll probably have to manually delete the hidden WINE subdirectory under your home account, and edit SystemSettings-->File Associations to redirect any associations back to their normal settings.
        What really geats me is many wine uses are using kubuntu 12.04.1 and STO aand everrything else works for them. Why am i having so much troble and why did my kubuntu install break with the bade date and time? This has happened twice so far with the packages having a future date on them and both times were right after an update! I think it might have something to do with wine based on what you said about wine hjacking media mimes. Is there a way to isolate wine maybe I should make a kubuntu wine VM?

Comment

Because there are so many variables - how many of them are using a different version of wine, all the different video gpus and drivers, the exact version of the game installer used, etc. It has always been this way in my experiences with Wine - 12 years now. Uninstalling wine (or any program for that matter) then reinstalling is not a useful tool to use in linux. Any configuration data specific to wine is in your hidden ~/.wine directory, that often has to be wiped out, which means a fresh install of any programs you had - highly annoying at best. Then add in whatever things PLO and other wine helpers (outside of winetricks, usually) can makes it all very very messy.

Comment

Some one please tell me what i am forgeting:
            steve7233@steve7233-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo kde dolphine
            [sudo] password for steve7233:
            Sorry, try again.
            sudo: kde: command not found
            steve7233@steve7233-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo kdedolphine
            sudo: kdedolphine: command not found
            steve7233@steve7233-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo kde-dolphine
            sudo: kde-dolphine: command not found
            I'll probably think 'O ya, i new that' when you tell me.

Comment

There is your likely problem: running gui apps using sudo. This can mung up your user's file permissions if done with the wrong application. Use kdesudo instead.

What exactly are you trying to do? I am guessing you want to run dolphin file manager with admin permissions.

Code:
              kdesudo dolphin
              is what you need. What are you looking to do? Have you run wine, or any other GUI program with sudo?

Comment

That didn't quite work:
                steve7233@steve7233-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~$ kdesudo dolphin
                kdesudo(18336) KDESu::KDESuPrivate::KCookie::getXCookie: No X authentication info set for display ":0"

No protocol specified
                No protocol specified
                dolphin: cannot connect to X server :0
                I like to use a gui when look for files to delete. I thought I would try deleting ~/.wine. Maybe winecfg will succed after that... I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                  That didn't quite work:
                  steve7233@steve7233-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~$ kdesudo dolphin
                  kdesudo(18336) KDESu::KDESuPrivate::KCookie::getXCookie: No X authentication info set for display ":0"

No protocol specified
                  No protocol specified
                  dolphin: cannot connect to X server :0
                  I like to use a gui when look for files to delete. I thought I would try deleting ~/.wine. Maybe winecfg will succed after that... I hope!
                  Are you logged in to a desktop session, or a pure command line? If you are you definitely have file permission problems. If not, you can't run dolphin without having the X server up and running.

You do not use kdesudo or admin privileges to edit or delete files in your /home directory. It is unnecessary, unless something as changed permissions.

I am going to guess that you have been using sudo to run things such as dolphin or kate, and your permissions have been changed by this. It is an easy fix, however, and may fix the wine issue.

In a terminal, enter this:
                  Code:
                  sudo chown -Rv <your username> /home/<your-username>
                  This will reset your permissions and scroll a lot of stuff past you on what has been fixed (if anything). If you don't want to see that, leave off the "v" after the "-R".

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    Are you logged in to a desktop session, or a pure command line? If you are you definitely have file permission problems. If not, you can't run dolphin without having the X server up and running.

You do not use kdesudo or admin privileges to edit or delete files in your /home directory. It is unnecessary, unless something as changed permissions.

I am going to guess that you have been using sudo to run things such as dolphin or kate, and your permissions have been changed by this. It is an easy fix, however, and may fix the wine issue.

In a terminal, enter this:
                    Code:
                    sudo chown -Rv <your username> /home/<your-username>
                    This will reset your permissions and scroll a lot of stuff past you on what has been fixed (if anything). If you don't want to see that, leave off the "v" after the "-R".
                    I am logged into a desktop session and trying to run dolphin as sudo, using bash.

Comment

I just figured out how to delete ~/home/wine from dolphin and ran winecfg. It nows sees the hard drives how ever:
                      steve7233@steve7233-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo winetricks
                      ------------------------------------------------------
                      wine cmd.exe /c echo '%ProgramFiles%' returned empty string
                      ------------------------------------------------------

How do i get wine tricks to work? I need to install IE8 for STO.

Comment

I thought maybe if i reinstalled playonlinux STO might start working... Now i can loggin and the patcher lights up but clicking dosn't work. It gives me a java script disabled error. I think some one mentioned they got this problem. I will goto wine db and dig furthur.

Comment

STOP using sudo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is probably the heart of your problem. You probably will have to reset your user permissions on your ~/.wine folder and start again.

Now, as to winetricks, many of its options are not listed in the gui, so run it this way:
                          Code:
                          winetricks ie8
                          Code:
                          winetricks vcrun2008
                          look here http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=19203 if you have issues, especially if you are running 64 bit Kubuntu, especially the thread about ubuntu 12.04 and wine 1.4

If you run 64bit, you will probably have to add " WINEARCH=win32" to each line above, and you will probably have to run the installer like so:
                          Code:
                          GC_DONT_GC=1 WINEARCH=win32 /path/to/the/installer.exe
                          I got it to install on my old-ish Dell, but it hangs on loading the game itself after the patching and login steps, but my gpu and ram are meager

Comment

This is why I gave up on Wine many months ago. Once upon a time I thought Wine would be superior to a VM and I started down the long torturous path of trying to make it work. Kept encountering barrier after barrier. Conclusion: it's an ugly hack. I wiped it away and returned to a VM. Best. Decision. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              STOP using sudo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is probably the heart of your problem. You probably will have to reset your user permissions on your ~/.wine folder and start again.

Now, as to winetricks, many of its options are not listed in the gui, so run it this way:
                              Code:
                              winetricks ie8
                              Code:
                              winetricks vcrun2008
                              look here http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=19203 if you have issues, especially if you are running 64 bit Kubuntu, especially the thread about ubuntu 12.04 and wine 1.4

If you run 64bit, you will probably have to add " WINEARCH=win32" to each line above, and you will probably have to run the installer like so:
                              Code:
                              GC_DONT_GC=1 WINEARCH=win32 /path/to/the/installer.exe
                              I got it to install on my old-ish Dell, but it hangs on loading the game itself after the patching and login steps, but my gpu and ram are meager
                              I have read the thread and tried everything but still no go! There is prably something glitchy in my install. I am starting to wounder if i need to reinstall kubuntu! It's only been on here a few days. FYI I have posted on that thread in several places Its under my real name Steven Wilson.
                              Last edited by steve7233; Oct 06, 2012, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X