Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd geniuses wanted - login and logout functions with systemd and root access

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Systemd geniuses wanted - login and logout functions with systemd and root access

As an experiment I am attempting to have some bind mounts created when a user logs in and then unmounted on log out. I have a working set of scripts but I would like to learn how to use systemd to control the actions.

My goal is to have all users have a set of private folders bind-mounted to their home at log in (not at boot-up) and disconnected when they log out. I used to be able to do this with X but since we're moving away from X soon to Wayland and systemd is new and powerful, I'd like to figure this one out. I've read dozens of pages and forums but nothing is complete or on-target.

Here's the systemd.service I tried:

Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#5454FF][B]/etc/systemd/system[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ cat bindmounts.service  [/COLOR]
    [Unit]
    Description = Mount bindmounts  
    After=network.target

[Service]
    User=root
    Type=oneshot
    RemainAfterExit=true
    StandardOutput=journal
    ExecStart = /etc/systemd/user/bindin.sh
    Execstop = /etc/systemd/user/bindout.sh

[Install]
    WantedBy=default.target

[/FONT]
    I really have no clue what I'm doing.

Please Read Me

Apparently it doesn't work?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Nope. I'm not even close. My scripts have mount in them so must be run as root, but no environmental variables are passed to the script (I need $USER or $LOGNAME in the script). None of the tips on how to pass variables work. I either get a blank or "root" passed, but no username.

I tried

Environment="ONE=${USER}" as suggested by the man pages, but what gets passed is $USER not the value of $USER.

I tried running the service as a user then setting "User=root" and that gets me to the same place. Either the mount fails because of lack of permission or the mount fails because it tries to mount to /home//Documents instead of /home/$USER/Documents.

Please Read Me

Comment

From "man systemd.unit" is the following:
        Code:
               |"%u"      │ User name                   │ This is the name of the     │
               │          │                             │ user running the service    │
               │          │                             │ manager instance. In case   │
               │          │                             │ of the system manager this  │
               │          │                             │ resolves to "root".         │
               ├──────────┼─────────────────────────────┼─────────────────────────────┤
               │"%U"      │ User UID                    │ This is the numeric UID of  │
               │          │                             │ the user running the        │
               │          │                             │ service manager instance.   │
               │          │                             │ In case of the system       │
               │          │                             │ manager this resolves to    │
               │          │                             │ "0".                        │
               ├──────────┼─────────────────────────────┼─────────────────────────────┤
               │"%h"      │ User home directory         │ This is the home directory  │
               │          │                             │ of the user running the     │
               │          │                             │ service manager instance.   │
               │          │                             │ In case of the system       │
               │          │                             │ manager this resolves to    │
               │          │                             │ "/root".
        What's needed is an "after=login.target", but I couldn't find one. Maybe write one?
        Last edited by GreyGeek; May 23, 2018, 09:41 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm going to call this "ABANDONDED" as I don't think systemd is suited for this.

Turns out there is functionality called "pam_mount" which is designed for just this purpose.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X