Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know where the system tray icons are stored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Does anyone know where the system tray icons are stored?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240401_080955.jpg Views:	25 Size:	16.2 KB ID:	677834

This is my system tray (sideways to fit the post better). Note that the clipboard icon does not follow the theme. I thought it would be a simple matter to locate the icon and change it but I'm having no luck.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Apr 02, 2024, 06:24 AM.

Please Read Me

It looks like the others - the black ones - are locateed here:

/var/lib/flatpak/runtime/org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.15-22.08/32e6aff6d8b1d3b7409f4936c451bf552e00e9d428ce6403fe a2a29a887e8c62/files/share/icons/breeze/status/

It also appears none of the icon themes I have installed effect most of those icons

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      /var/lib/flatpak
      ??

Mine is doing the opposite:

I am not using Breeze, but this Plamsa Style (not a global theme) doesn't include any icons at all, so shouldn't have any changes
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240401_104443.png Views:	0 Size:	69.4 KB ID:	677837
      Switching back to Breeze fixes it for me:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240401_105742.png Views:	0 Size:	42.2 KB ID:	677838

Plasma Styles can have replacement icons for customs included as replacements, but that no longer used in Plasma 6. But that isn't the issue here, since you seem to be using Breeze?
      I thought it was a cache problem, but nope. I think its a bug, since I think it was fine previously.

It seems all my third-party Styles exhibit this.

But: back to the question:
      /usr/share/icons/
      or, for user-installed:
      ~/.local/share/icons/

Tray icons are supposed to be located in the icon theme directories

I have zero idea how flatpak would affect the system tray icon.

*May* be relevant: https://pointieststick.com/2023/08/1...k-in-plasma-6/
      Last edited by claydoh; Apr 01, 2024, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Do you know which theme this icon comes from?

It doesn't look to be the same issue as what I see, so I was looking at other factors such as panel width, colors defined in the Plasma Style, etc.
        https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=484473
        https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=482645

Waiting on Frameworks 6.1 for this one iirc

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          ??

Tray icons are supposed to be located in the icon theme directories

I have zero idea how flatpak would affect the system tray icon.

*May* be relevant: https://pointieststick.com/2023/08/1...k-in-plasma-6/
          That's just where I initially found icons that look like the icons in my system tray. I sort of figured that wasn't the ones I was looking at but couldn't find them elsewhere. Seems like there's a 100 places that have 10,000 icons in them.

I did see that post when searching. I'm not usually too wrapped up in minor "look and feel" things, but this really sticks out and seems like it should be easily fixable. I literally went through all the icon sets I have installed and no of them change that one icon.

Please Read Me

Comment

Part of my problem is I don"t know the actual name of the icon. All the icons named "org.kde.plasma.clipboard.svg" are not the systray image.

Please Read Me

Comment

They would be called klipper, the monochrome ones will be klipper-symbolic-*, it seems.

Comment

Got it:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240401_171626.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	677846
                Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

I feel Soooo much better,,, LOL

Please Read Me

Comment

What did you need to do to fix it?

Comment

First, I went and found a replacement icon for klipper - not yet having read your comment about "klipper-symbolic"

Then I went into ~/.local/share/icons/breeze-blur-glassy/48/ and swapped the icon files. This had no effect.

Then I read your comment and went looking for klipper-symbolic and found it in /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/32/ and it was indeed the icon I wanted.

Then it occurred to me that maybe the icon cache was the issue. I recall having to wipe or reload the icon cache back in the KDE3-4 days. I did a little searching and found this is still (or has returned as) an occasional issue. So I ran:
                      sudo update-icon-caches /usr/share/icons/*

To my dismay nothing changed...
                      ...UNTIL I hovered the mouse cursor over the klipper icon in the systray and BOOM! The correct icon appeared.

I know it is not the one I uploaded because they are slightly different looking.
                      Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 02, 2024, 07:03 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

UPDATE: In my haste to run the cache update, I had left my icons as "Breeze" rather the "Breeze-Blur-Glossy". The latter having been where I swapped the colored icon with the downloaded one. Switching back to "Breeze-Blur-Glossy" made the klipper icon change to the one I downloaded when I hovered over it!

So the icon cache MIGHT need reloading BUT the icon swapped DID work - The key was likely just hovering over the icon to show the new image that did it.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240402_084147.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	677860

Note the klipper icon change here. I like this one better so leaving it there.
                        Last edited by oshunluvr; Apr 02, 2024, 06:44 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                        X