Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to use alien for the first time - how to build the deb package after extract

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Trying to use alien for the first time - how to build the deb package after extract

I'm trying to convert an RPM into a DEB file but I need to edit the debian control file first. So I ran alien with the -g switch "Generate build tree, but do not build package." and edited the file. When I went to build the deb file, the instructions I have state to run "sudo debian/rules binary". This appears to work, but no output file isgenerated. Something must be missing from my instructions...
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Sep 05, 2017, 11:52 AM.

Please Read Me

Never mind - it was a typo in the control file. The error output was non-existent until I ran dpkg-source.

Please Read Me

Comment

And How'd it run

(I had about a 50% success rate converting rpms to debs using alien.)
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Works great! It's an old 32bit Lightscribe program from LaCie. Just seeing if I could make it work

Please Read Me

Comment

Ah! Someone on this forum needs it! (You have a Lightscribe CDROM too?)
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Yeah, I was digging around to see if I could get it to work. But I can't remember the last time I burned a CD!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Yeah, I was digging around to see if I could get it to work. But I can't remember the last time I burned a CD!
              Me too! It's been at lease three years since I burned a CD or played a DVD movie, maybe longer. I just can't remember exactly when. That's why I replaced the CDROM with an HD Caddy and stuck another 750Gb HD into my laptop. 4.7Gb is nothing these days. USB sticks have replaced the CDROM.

And, I still have two unopened 100 CD packs and a third with about 15 DVD-R's left in them.

Comment

Working...
              X