Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X window from server using ssh. What do I need?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X window from server using ssh. What do I need?

Code:
    stuart@office:~/.kde$ ssh -X mythtv@server mythtv-setup
    mythtv@server's password: 
    X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
    xprop:  unable to open display ''

(zenity:18891): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    Ok, so I'm trying to install mythtv-backend on my server. I have scoured the dang internets for days and can't find out how to set up the backend without a GUI. My server does not have a desktop (or monitor, or keyboard, or mouse...).

I am giving in and will grudgingly install whatever I need to in order to get this working because my PVR has irked me for too long.

It seems obvious from the above error that I'm short a few nuts and bolts in order to ssh into the server and use a GUI. Do I need to install a full desktop like XFCE in order for this to work or can I just install X? I tried installing xserver on my server, but that didn't do it.

I have tried setting the display variable on the server: failed. I tried launching X after installing xserver: failed.

Anyone have any useful input?

Please Read Me

Code:
    sudo apt-get install mythtv-backend-master
    ssh -X mythtv@yourservername mythtv-setup

edit: I should have asked if the backend master was installed before posting...
    edit #2: It looks like most are installing mythbuntu-desktop and connecting a monitor and keyboard to their servers. Personally, I'm against doing something like that, but also, in my case, it's not all that hard for me to do. Just a matter of principal...
    edit #3 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/My...Server/Backend says you can't install without X. You need X.
    Last edited by Buddlespit; Sep 22, 2013, 11:05 AM.
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

I just needed to install xserver-xorg. Works now.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X