Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to start a new programming language?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start a new programming language?

I think I want to learn to program simple GUI frontends for various linux CLI programs (see my thread about what linux needs). Before I dig in - what language should I start with?

I assumed QT but then got to thinking I really didn't know what would be the best choice.

My criteria is:
    Don't care if it's portable to windows or mac.
    Has sufficent help/instructional material/books available to teach myself at the beginning.
    Future possibility of a class or two at the college level if I get into it.

Mostly, I will be developing for the Kubuntu environment.

I found this page: http://linuxappfinder.com/package/kdesdk but there's a lot on it.

Please Read Me

I will say that if your wanting to program specifically for K desktop then it has to be QT4. But I love the whole Java idea of write once run anywhere so I would go for Java, but Java's GUI isn't as "beautiful" to look at as QT4.
    Last edited by Guest; Aug 29, 2012, 11:43 AM. Reason: remove mis-spelt word

Comment

Go for python with PyQT4. You can use Qt Designer to make the UI, pyuic4 to convert the ui file to a python module and then just write a script. You can use a module like os or sys to push commands to the terminal and get responses. Python = easy to use + maintainable + quick to code, PyQT4 = awesome documentation + awesome toolkit + GPL licensed. Seriously, its by far the best for what you want to do. These won't be performance sensitive or anything so this its an awesome place to start. I use PyQT4 to write custom little programs for people all the time.

Comment

Ocleanluver, if SIMPLE GUI front ends to CLI is all you need then there is a tool specifically for the job: KDialog!

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/...th_KDE_Dialogs
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Cool, thanks guys I have used KDialog (Zenity before that) somewhat for real simple stuff and I've also created a few service menus for myself. Sounds like PyQT4 is a good jumping off point for me just to see if I'll stick to it. I go the the command line so often I thought it would be nice to have a "toolkit" of small programs that I could use and install on other linux computers I maintain.

Thanks for the input!

Please Read Me

Comment

I would go for python and QT try using qtcreator.

http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/tutorials.html

Here is some good starting point

Comment

Qt creator doesn't support python though. Go for qt designer for your interface and then use kdevelop with python plugin for your IDE. Its brilliant! You can also look at Eric (also very good but way too complicated.) Since you'll use PyQT4 then this is what you need:

http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/...l/classes.html

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
                I will say that if your wanting to program specifically for K desktop then it has to be QT4. But I love the whole Java idea of write once run anywhere so I would go for Java, but Java's GUI isn't as "beautiful" to look at as QT4.
                Personally I find java a horrible language to code in as well as the fact its gui applications look horrible... and since Qt is designed as a multi-platform toolkit you can write code once and just compile it for each platform (or use the python wrappers as suggested) and it both looks better and is nicer to code in.

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                Qt creator doesn't support python though. Go for qt designer for your interface and then use kdevelop with python plugin for your IDE. Its brilliant! You can also look at Eric (also very good but way too complicated.) Since you'll use PyQT4 then this is what you need:
                I have to mention that in addition to creating .ui files in qt designer and python programs you can also use Qt's new QML and javascript system (aka Qt quick) which is great for creating simple beautiful applications and can interface with the qt C++ or python libraries.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input and advice.

Please Read Me

Comment

If KDialog is too simple then I second james147's advice.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                    X