This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I create my own titlebar buttons?

I have looked everywhere and I can't seem to find any documentation on the window titlebar buttons a.k.a. window decorations.

What I would like to be able to do is create my own button and add it to my system. I don't just mean the image, but the function. I would settle for editing a current button but the real goal would be whole new button.

What I'm looking to do is create a "switch screens" button for KDE when using multiple screens. I have this functionality in windows using a program called UltraMon. Basically, I want a window decoration that will switch the window to the other monitor when clicked. I can do this with a keystroke but it would be cool to bind the command to a button.

Anyone have any ideas?

Please Read Me

Since themes don't come with a switch screen button that doesn't seem to be possible. Maybe you can create a custom launcher that would run a script to do it(if you know how) and place it to a panel instead of window decoration.
    Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

As I never tried a multi-screen environment, I'd like to ask: when you click window menu of an app is there a "move window to screen/monitor" option similar to "move window to desktop"?

Comment

No, there is command in xorg to move to the next monitor but it's not in the titlebar menu.. I have it bound to "Shift ~" at the moment.

I can't even find where the coding for the window decorations are at this point. It would be a neat thing to be able to do, though.

Please Read Me

Comment

I think what you are looking for is kwin-related for it is managing window buttons and their functionality but I was unable to find any example scripts that show how to put custom buttons to windows.
          Last edited by rms; May 20, 2012, 01:19 AM.

Comment

This is for KDE 3 but some of the principles must still apply (some of the details will definitely be different, though!) - HOWTO: KWin Window Manager Decorations

You should probably have a good look at Development/Tutorials - KDE TechBase as well ... in particular Development/Tutorials/KWin/Scripting - KDE TechBase
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I still think it is a lot easier to just put a custom launcher on a panel that would activate a script(though less elegant for sure). As for the script, something useful here.

Comment

Working...
              X