My simple btrfs backup script.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My simple btrfs backup script.

I use snapper for my regular snapshots, it works very well but it doesn't do full backups to another location. So, I made a script so I could plug in my external HD, run it as sudo and it does all the commands for sending a backup. It does an automatic time stamp in the snapshot name as well, for easy admin. The main weakness is me remembering to run it often enough but there's no point in running some sort of automation as I keep the external HD unplugged when not in use.

So to explain what it's doing, it mounts the drive in /mnt, takes snapshots with today's date, sends them to the external hard drive, deletes the snapshot on the hard drive and then unmounts from /mnt. As I use snapper, there's no point for me to retain the snapshots on my hard drive.

Code:
     #!/bin/bash

mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/YOUR UUID HERE /mnt
    today=$(date +"%d_%m_%Y")
    btrfs su snapshot -r /mnt/@ /mnt/snapshots/@_${today}
    btrfs su snapshot -r /mnt/@home /mnt/snapshots/@home_${today}
    btrfs send /mnt/snapshots/@_${today} | btrfs receive /media/YOUR BACKUP LOCATION HERE
    btrfs send /mnt/snapshots/@home_${today} | btrfs receive /media/YOUR BACKUP LOCATION HERE
    btrfs subvolume delete /mnt/snapshots/@_${today}
    btrfs subvolume delete /mnt/snapshots/@home_${today}
    umount /mnt

I use a script I wrote but my approach is to use a differential backup using "-p"
    Code:
    echo "Mounting drives"
    eval "mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/ce2b5741-c01e-4b3d-b6ba-401ad7f7fcdf /mnt"
    eval "mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/e84e2cdf-d635-41c5-9f6f-1d0235322f48 /backup"

NOW=$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M)
    echo "Making today's snapshot"
    MKSNAP='btrfs su snapshot -r /mnt/@ /mnt/snapshots/@'$NOW
    eval $MKSNAP
    eval 'sync'
    eval 'sync'

echo "Finding previous snapshot as parent "
    PREVSNAP=""
    list=($(ls /mnt/snapshots/))
    PREVSNAP=${list[-2]}
    NOW=${list[-1]}
    MKINC='btrfs send -p /mnt/snapshots/'$PREVSNAP
    MKINC=$MKINC' /mnt/snapshots/'$NOW
    MKINC=$MKINC' | btrfs receive /backup'
    echo $MKINC
    eval $MKINC
    Using the "-p" switch SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the amount of time necessary to create an archive on a remote drive.
    In my case, with about 130GB, without the "-p" it would take about 15 minutes. With the "-p" switch about 1 minute.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Late to this thread, but I do not understand what the entries in that command are, like maybe it's over-complicated or I've missed something?

The syntax is:

btrfs send -p </PATH/SNAPSHOT (previous snapshot)> </PATH/SNAPSHOT (new snapshot)> | btrfs receive </PATH>

at a minimum you have three entries in the SEND portion and two entries in the RECEIVE portion which are not allowed OR you're trying to escape the space, which means you've used a space in your folder name. A questionable action in my opinion. If my assumption is correct and the escape is working to use the space, your path to the snapshots is "/media/user/SSD Backup/snapshots/" and your destination backup path is also "/media/user/SSD Backup/snapshots/" which would mean you're sending the subvolume to itself which is also not allowed or even useful.

This might help a bit: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index....emental_Backup

Please Read Me

Comment

What I do at the moment is make snapshots on my system, send them to the external drive and then delete the ones on my system. From what I am understanding now, for an incremental backup, I need to keep the previous snapshot on my system as well. This would be kind of annoying for me because of the frequency of how often I am doing it.

Comment

Well yes, the last (previous) snapshot is required so the system has a reference to know what has changed. I can't imagine it working any other way. It's the trade off to potentially vastly reduce time required to do a backup. You only need to keep one snapshot though, You can delete the parent immediately after the incremental send, just not the current one. Call it leap-frogging. If you do a full backup every time, it will always take considerably longer.

Frankly, unless you are running a system at a 90%+ drive capacity and/or doing your incremental backups months apart, I doubt the drive space used by keeping a fairly fresh snapshot is using enough drive space that you will even notice. I personally make a daily snapshot and keep a full week's worth at all times (for rollback usage) and then send an incremental backup on every Sunday to my server. The amount of space on my heavily used system is inconsequential: 7, 24 hour snapshots stored at all times, incremental backup is 7 days worth of changes.

The alternative is to not do incremental backups. The cost is potential drive space of an unknown amount vs. time to make the backup. You get one benefit or the other, but not both.

Remember a snapshot only increases drive usage when changes are made to the source subvolume. Similarly, the time to send an incremental backup increases as the snapshot size increases. Both are a function of the age of the snapshot. Simply doing it more often reduces the space and time required. Monthly will require a 30 day long volume of changes where daily would only be that day's changes. Your sweet spot maybe somewhere in between.

To explain the leap-frog (if needed):

Initial backup:
          1) subvolume = @subvol
          2) take snapshot as @subvol1
          3) send @subvol1 to backup

Some time passes...

Subsequent backups:
          1) take snapshot of @subvol as @subvol2
          2) send increment using @subvol1 as parent, @subvol2 as backup
          3) delete @subvol1 from snapshot and backup folders

Now only @subvol and @subvol2 remain. Repeat as often as desired.
          Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 07, 2021, 03:39 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, I was thinking that maybe rsync is a better idea for what I want and then I saw that kup has an incremental rsync setting so I am going to use that instead. I know that removes the ability to restore everything in one go but I am not too bothered about that.

Comment

I've never used rsync so I can't comment on it aside from what I read on the Internet about it vs BTRFS.
              Regardless of if things turn out the way you hope or not, please post your results to the BTRFS forum so we can all benefit.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                Well, I was thinking that maybe rsync is a better idea for what I want and then I saw that kup has an incremental rsync setting so I am going to use that instead. I know that removes the ability to restore everything in one go but I am not too bothered about that.
                Well again, just my opinion, but using rsync totally obviates one of the major benefits of BTRFS - native backup and restore. I think you have decided keeping one snapshot is a huge deficit before actually attempting to put it into play. I doubt even a month's worth of changes to your install subvolume will add up to much.

Let's assume the drive space isn't a factor and you're scripting the backup functionality anyway, "btrfs send -p..." is a way easier to set up than rsync with it's hundreds of options like:

rsync -av --delete "${SOURCE_DIR}/" --link-dest "${LATEST_LINK}" --exclude=".cache" "${BACKUP_PATH}"

but your world so, do you.

Please Read Me

Comment

I bought an internal HDD specifically for backups so I am going to set it up for incremental backups. I changed my script to this.

Code:
                   #!/bin/bash

mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/34424d7b-13a5-419c-8fb2-9c3da4cb3e1d /mnt
                  mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/db599790-a9d5-4804-9ad4-a268a7e60834 /backup

#Making time stamped snapshots
                  today=$(date +"%Y_%m_%d")

#Sending incremental backup
                  btrfs send -p /mnt/snapshots/@_backup /mnt/snapshots/@_${today} | btrfs receive /backup
                  btrfs send -p /mnt/snapshots/@home_backup /mnt/snapshots/@home_${today} | btrfs receive /backup

#Deleting reference snapshots
                  btrfs subvolume delete /mnt/snapshots/@_backup
                  btrfs subvolume delete /mnt/snapshots/@home_backup
                  btrfs subvolume delete /backup/@_backup
                  btrfs subvolume delete /backup/@home_backup

#Creating new reference snapshots for next backup
                  btrfs su snapshot -r /mnt/@_${today} /mnt/snapshots/@_backup
                  btrfs su snapshot -r /mnt/@home_${today} /mnt/snapshots/@home_backup
                  btrfs su snapshot -r /backup/@_${today} /backup/@_backup
                  btrfs su snapshot -r /backup/@home_${today} /backup/@home_backup

btrfs subvolume delete /mnt/snapshots/@_${today}
                  btrfs subvolume delete /mnt/snapshots/@home_${today}

umount /mnt
                  umount /backup
                  I've run this once and it seems to have worked, I got this output..

Code:
                  Create a readonly snapshot of '/mnt/@' in '/mnt/snapshots/@_2021_11_26'
                  Create a readonly snapshot of '/mnt/@home' in '/mnt/snapshots/@home_2021_11_26'
                  At subvol /mnt/snapshots/@_2021_11_26
                  At snapshot @_2021_11_26
                  At subvol /mnt/snapshots/@home_2021_11_26
                  At snapshot @home_2021_11_26
                  Delete subvolume (no-commit): '/mnt/snapshots/@_backup'
                  Delete subvolume (no-commit): '/mnt/snapshots/@home_backup'
                  Delete subvolume (no-commit): '/backup/@_backup'
                  Delete subvolume (no-commit): '/backup/@home_backup'
                  ERROR: Could not statfs: No such file or directory
                  ERROR: Could not statfs: No such file or directory
                  Create a readonly snapshot of '/backup/@_2021_11_26' in '/backup/@_backup'
                  Create a readonly snapshot of '/backup/@home_2021_11_26' in '/backup/@home_backup'
                  Delete subvolume (no-commit): '/mnt/snapshots/@_2021_11_26'
                  Delete subvolume (no-commit): '/mnt/snapshots/@home_2021_11_26'
                  I don't understand the error message, everything seems fine. I'll try it again later.

Comment

It appears to me that you are using the root_fs of /mnt to do snapshots on the root_fs of /backup. Two different root_fs's.
                    Not allowed.

Comment

I've seen this happen when someone manually deletes a subvol (rf-rm) instead of using btrfs su de. Maybe you're trying to delete a snapshot too soon after creation? Remember btrfs transactions are not instantaneous. Try adding the commit flag to the deletes and see if the error goes away. I assume it will slow the full execution of the script, but not my much.

Please Read Me

Comment

To what GreyGeek says, is /mnt the root fs of @ or a separate root fs from / ?

Please Read Me

Comment

I mount the root file system at /mnt. Step by step including the preparation for the script

1: Mount the root file system at mnt and the second drive at "/backup"
                          2: Snapshot at /mnt/snapshots called "backup"
                          3: Full of send of "backup" to the second drive, so that I have the two reference snapshots.
                          4: "dated" snapshot in /mnt/snapshots.
                          5: Incremental send of dated snapshot to second drive.
                          6: Delete "backup" snapshots on each drive.
                          7: Make a snapshot of "dated" subvolume in /mnt/snapshots and called that "backup"
                          8: Do the same thing with the one on the second drive.
                          9: Delete the dated snapshot in the /mnt/snapshot but keep the one on the second drive.

Is what I am doing in step 7 and/or 8 wrong? (edit: ignore question, see post below)

Upon looking again, I hadn't actually ended up with with a "backup" subvolume in the /mnt/snapshots folders. So running it a second time was a collection of errors.
                          Last edited by Bings; Nov 27, 2021, 02:01 PM.

Comment

The commit tag worked and then I could see that I really was doing something wrong in step 7 and 8 because it loses the reference somehow and I can't use them as parents. So I renamed them instead of using snapshot and then was able to snapshot the new reference for keeping.

Code:
                             #!/bin/bash

mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/34424d7b-13a5-419c-8fb2-9c3da4cb3e1d /mnt
                            mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/db599790-a9d5-4804-9ad4-a268a7e60834 /backup

#Making time stamped snapshots
                            today=$(date +"%Y_%m_%d")

#Sending incremental backup
                            btrfs send -p /mnt/snapshots/@_backup /mnt/snapshots/@_${today} | btrfs receive /backup
                            btrfs send -p /mnt/snapshots/@home_backup /mnt/snapshots/@home_${today} | btrfs receive /backup

#Deleting reference snapshots
                            btrfs subvolume delete -c /mnt/snapshots/@_backup
                            btrfs subvolume delete -c /mnt/snapshots/@home_backup
                            btrfs subvolume delete -c /backup/@_backup
                            btrfs subvolume delete -c /backup/@home_backup

#Renaming new snapshots to be reference snapshots for next time
                            mv /mnt/snapshots/@_${today} /mnt/snapshots/@_backup
                            mv /backup/@_${today} /backup/@_backup
                            mv /mnt/snapshots/@home_${today} /mnt/snapshots/@home_backup
                            mv /backup/@home_${today} /backup/@home_backup

#Snapshot for archive
                            btrfs su snapshot -r /backup/@_backup /backup/@_${today}
                            btrfs su snapshot -r /backup/@home_backup /backup/@home_${today}

umount /mnt
                            umount /backup

Comment

I don't know what the error messages are about here, would this cause me problems if I restored from the backup?

Code:
                              [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]Create a readonly snapshot of '/mnt/@' in '/mnt/snapshots/@_2021_12_05' [/COLOR]
                              Create a readonly snapshot of '/mnt/@home' in '/mnt/snapshots/@home_2021_12_05'
                              At subvol /mnt/snapshots/@_2021_12_05
                              At snapshot @_2021_12_05
                              WARNING: capabilities set multiple times per file: /backup//@_2021_12_05/usr/bin/ping
                              WARNING: capabilities set multiple times per file: /backup//@_2021_12_05/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/start_kdeinit
                              At subvol /mnt/snapshots/@home_2021_12_05
                              At snapshot @home_2021_12_05
                              Delete subvolume (commit): '/mnt/snapshots/@_backup'
                              Delete subvolume (commit): '/mnt/snapshots/@home_backup'
                              Delete subvolume (commit): '/backup/@_backup'
                              Delete subvolume (commit): '/backup/@home_backup'
                              Create a readonly snapshot of '/backup/@_backup' in '/backup/@_2021_12_05'
                              Create a readonly snapshot of '/backup/@home_backup' in '/backup/@home_2021_12_05'[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X