This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can't delete a subvolume

I recently had to do a rollback because the recent kernel update seemed to bork the graphics on my computer, causing frequent freezes. I changed my @ subvolume to @old and the @home subvolume to @homeold. After finishing the process, I tried to delete the 'old' subvolumes using the managing subvolume program someone on this forum wrote, and it deleted the @homeold subvolume but froze while deleting the @old subvolume. I tried the command line program, btrfs subv delete /mnt/@old, but got an error message saying that it couldn't 'destroy' the folder because it wasn't empty. Well, the @homeold subvolume wasn't empty either and it destroyed that, so I wonder why I couldn't eliminate @old. Any suggestions?

This is usually caused by the existence of another subvolume located under the one you are trying to delete. I struck your problem once because there was some apt btrfs script creating before and after snapshots when doing an update, and I was unaware of their existence.

Run sudo btrfs subvolume list / and look through the results. I expect there's a subvolume /mnt/@old/something. For example, snapper puts its snapshots in .snapshots/whatever, and being "hidden" they're easily missed. It's not necessary to delete the offending nested subvolume, you can simply move it somewhere else, though I imagine you'll want to delete it.

IMO the "Directory not empty" error message is quite misleading.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks, that was the problem. For some reason, there were two other subvolumes, @old/var/lib/portables and @old/var/lib/machines. I deleted the offending subvolumes, then deleted @old successfully. The question is, how did those two subvolumes get there?

Comment

Those were left over from the upgrade installation. Sloppy. I found them here too.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X