This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMs in BTRFS?

Although I never quite wrapped my head around BTRFS(didn't put too much time or effort into either), I am getting a new laptop to play with and thought I might give it another go. IIRC, it was mentioned that to have VM's in BTRFS you need to set aside a partition in ext4, is that correct?
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

That is one way to go. The easiest actually. That's what I do, but I'm using a desktop with 5 drives so....

Alternately, you can use FIXED sized VM drives rather than DYNAMICALLY sized. Downside is, obviously, that a 20GB fixed virtual drive consumes 20GB of drive space, where a 20GB dynamically sized virtual drive only consumes needed space up to 20GB.

Finally, you can set NODATACOW on folders or files: http://www.infotinks.com/btrfs-disab...tory-nodatacow

What the best option for you is will depend on what you have drive-wise and your VM needs. I have a lot of them (always playing with one thing or another) but a ton of space so I just dedicate a drive to VMs.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've been using BTRFS for many years (but not as long as Oshunluver) and I've created several qemu/kvm's over the years. BTRFS allows one to resize the <ROOT_FS> and I did that to shrink it by 60GB. Then I created a 60GB EXT4 partition on which to save my virtual drives. Doing that they can be dynamic as well, since a BTRFS snapshot won't include that partition. When I was done I'd use kpartition to destroy that partition and give it back to the BTRFS partition. Then I'd resize the <ROOT_FS> to maximize it to fit. That would bring my BTRFS back up to its 465GB install size.

I got tired of that and after I installed qemu/kvm I used nodatacow on the vm image storage folder before I created my first VD. I also used only static VDs. So, BTRFS ignores it. If one is going to set aside X GB for VDs on an EXT4 partition that X GB isn't available to BTRFS anyway. Also, I've had no speed or stability issues with my VM's & VD's. They've been lightning fast, especially under Plasma 5. That's one reason why I shifted from using VirtualBox to qemu/kvm. My virtual desktops run about as fast as my main desktop, which is running on top of my GT650M GPU.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

For sure QEMU/KVM is faster. I'm amazed how fast some of my VM boot. Even Windows 10.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X