This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZFS on Neon

On Kubuntu or Neon, using ZFS as the root file system is not currently possible, unlike Btrfs, which can be chosen instead of EXT4 during the install process. A few other distros, which don't use systemd, have the ability to make zfs the root file system during the install. The reason stated by some is that systemd doesn't yet have a unit for ZFS which would allow zfs to be used as a root file system.

There are two versions of zfs in the Ubuntu Universe repository: zfs-fuse and OpenZFS. The Linux world is moving to OpenZFS. Be aware that OpenZFS is under the CDDL license which is incompatible with the GPL.
    Its terms are:
    https://www2.revolvy.com/topic/CDDL%...tem_type=topic
    Terms
    Derived from the Mozilla Public License 1.1,[5] the CDDL tries to address some of the problems of the MPL.[6] Like the MPL, the CDDL is a weak copyleft license in-between GPL license and BSD/MIT permissive licenses, requiring only source code files under CDDL to remain under CDDL. Unlike strong copyleft licenses like the GPL, mixing of CDDL licensed source code files with source code files under other licenses is permitted without relicensing. The resulting compiled software product ("binary") can be licensed and sold under a different license, as long as the source code is still available under CDDL, which should enable more commercial business cases, according to Sun.[6] [7] [8] Like the MPL the CDDL includes a patent grant to the licensee from all contributors ("patent peace").
    Of couse, Sun is no longer around and Oracle owns ZFS. It's a guess as to whether OpenZFS is safe to use or not. IF I use OpenZFS would Elison send a legal eagle after me for a few license dollars? Probably not, but if I owned a substantial business and considering how many jet fighers and Pacific Islands Ellison has to support, probably so. In doing a DDG search for companies that used OpenZFS on Linux or BSD I didn't find any that would admitted to it. There are some OS's that have ZFS baked in and are sold to commerically expoit zfs, but I don't know how many customers they have.

Do you have ZFS installed?

To see if the knernel version of zfs is already installed on your system use "modinfo zfs" and see if you get a giant listing of the "parm"s of the zfs kernel object. It is in the modinfo listing of zfs.ko that one finds the CDDL license listed. Apparently Linus approves.

To install OpenZFS, assuming the Universe repository is active:
    sudo apt install zfs-initramfs

There are two basic commands related to ZFS: zpool and zfs. Their man pages describe all available commands. IF you want to use a GUI then Syneto offers an Industrial grade GUI, probably at an industrial price. The zpool command is related to the formation and manipulation of ZFS pools (also called "tanks", as in a tank of water), and the second relates to the formation of datasets (file systems) and their manipulation. At first I was under the impression that I could install other file systems inside ZFS, but that impression was wrong. EDIT: Perhaps not. Another ZFS guru claims one can install other file systems in a ZFS dataset (which they also refer to as a filesystem).

The first thing I did was to plug in my USB 320Gb Passport HD and run KPartition on it to delete the existing Btrfs partition and create an empty partition table on it. Then I did the following commands in a root Konsole:

Code:
    ~# zpool create zdata /dev/sdd

~# zfs create zdata/btrfsbk
    ~# zfs create zdata/homebk

~# zpool status
      pool: zdata
     state: ONLINE
     config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
            zdata       ONLINE       0     0     0
              sdd       ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

~# chown -R jerry:jerry /zdata/homebk
    Then I used Dolphin to drag and drop about 10Gb of data from my home account into homebk. When it was done I snapshotted homebk.
    Code:
    ~# zpool scrub /zdata
    ~# zpool status
      pool: zdata
     state: ONLINE
      scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h5m with 0 errors on Sat Nov  4 12:24:50 2017
    config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
            zdata       ONLINE       0     0     0
              sdd       ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

~# zpool list
    NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
    zdata   296G  10.5G   285G         -     1%     3%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

~# zpool iostat zdata
                   capacity     operations    bandwidth
    pool        alloc   free   read  write   read  write
    ----------  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----
    zdata       10.5G   285G      1      1  16.6K  14.1K

~# zfs snapshot -r zdata/homebk@201711041233

~# zpool history
    History for 'zdata':
    2017-11-03.13:24:02 zpool create zdata /dev/sdd
    2017-11-03.21:38:04 zpool import zdata
    2017-11-03.21:48:23 zfs create zdata/btrfsbk
    2017-11-03.21:48:43 zfs create zdata/homebk
    2017-11-04.12:19:08 zpool scrub zdata
    2017-11-04.12:33:31 zfs snapshot -r zdata/homebk@201711041233
    To "unmount" the zdata pool use

~# zpool export zdata

Then you can unplug the USB cable. When next you need to use it you can plug its USB cable in and issue

~# zpool import zdata

So, export and import act as mount and umount for external devices. Be aware that it is also possble to use mount and umount on datasets, but I haven't tried that yet.

BTRFS v ZFS
    GPL vs CDDL
    The license may determine the survivor despite any technical superiorities either tool may possess. If that is true, the Btrfs will continue to expand its Linux user base and soon dominate.

ROOT FILE SYSTEM
    Btrfs wins hands down. On OpenSUSE, Ubuntu & its deriviatives and several other distros Btrfs is offered as a file system to use during the installation procedure.

Only a couple minor distros offers ZFS as a fs option during their installation process. For the remainder the proceedure to make ZFS the automatically booting root file system for a GUI DE is too arduous for most Linux users. Even a headless server needs an EXT or MSDOS 32 bit partition that contains /boot and grub.
    If the license problem doesn't kill ZFS on the Linux desktop the difficulty facing most users for setting it up to boot into their desktop will.

SNAPSHOTS
    The ZFS snapshot command is simpler than the Btrfs snapshot command, but not by much. With regards to snapshots it is my impression that ZFS is two dimensional. In ZFS both the pool and the datasets are visible at the same level. To see @ and @home on Btrfs one has to open a root Konsole and mount the main drive, usually sda1, to /mnt.

With Btrfs snapshots can be made at the root (/) as root, or at /home as root or user, or at the @ & @home level as root. Tools like snapper create hidden subvolumes and directories to hide snapshots in. ZFS creates a hidden ".zfs" directory that contains the snapshot. Snapshots on both Btrfs and ZFS can be navigated, or drilled down, to the individual file level and individual files copied back out to the original locations.

One caveat with ZFS and snapshots is that if one has created more than one snapshot and you want to rollback to the oldest, you have to delete those made after it before you can use the oldest one. What if your pool was corrupted and the snapshot deletion failed? EDIT: That info was wrong. Aother guru pointed out that one can rollback to any snapshot but in doing so all subsequent snapshots are destroyed. That makes sense because snapshots are stored in the same pool that was snapshotted. Older snapshots won't contain more recent snapshots.

SEND and RECEIVE
    Btrfs usually uses both SEND and RECEIVE in the same command sequence because it involves streaming the snapshot between two different Btrfs pools. One can only create snapshots within the pool the subvolume exist on. SEND & RECEIVE allow transmitting subvolumes across pool boundries. Btrfs includes the ability to convert the snapshot stream into an ASCII stream which can be remotely stored on a non-Btrfs file system.

I haven't tried the ZFS SEND & RECEIVE commands yet, but the examples I'v read indicate that they don't always have to be run within the same command. Don't quote me on that, though.

RAID
    Setting up RAID pools is drop dead easy in ZFS.

CONCLUSION
    After playing with ZFS for a day I've come to the conclusion that despite some simpler command sequences it offers no advantage over Btrfs and has several disadvantages in the single user laptop environment for which I would use it.

I found a very interesting resource that explain ZFS and its commands:

https://pthree.org/2012/12/04/zfs-ad...n-part-i-vdevs

And a couple videos:

Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 09, 2017, 12:45 PM. Reason: fix typos add edits
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Good post GG. You hit the important hot-spots.

I still feel like I'm just beginning to utilize all the btrfs has to offer. I really haven't ever read anything that makes me think ZFS is a better choice at this time.

Please Read Me

Comment

I don't see myself switching to ZFS anytime soon either, if ever.

I'm going to play with it using some file and dev images, just to get a better feel for it, then I'm going to delete the ZFS packages.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        RAID
        Setting up RAID pools is drop dead easy in ZFS.
        Depending on what level of RAID you are looking for ...

For a pair of drives running mirrored metadata (RAID 1 for the metadata) plus striped data (RAID 0 for performance), it doesn't get any simpler than

Code:
        mkfs.btrfs /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
        Right, nothing in GG's excellent post makes me want to bother with zfs -- I have no problem with btrfs that switching would solve. Actually I have no problems with btrfs at all.
        Last edited by dibl; Nov 05, 2017, 06:44 AM.

Comment

In ZFS "raidz1" is often referred to as raidz. The "1" refers to how many drives can be lost without losing data. There is also raidz2 and raidz3, which would require a minimum of 4 and 5 vdevs, respectively.

I got curious about any "distros" built on ZFS that were available as a GUI desktop. I found one, called OpenIndiana and downloaded its 1.8Gb USB image. I burned it and booted into it. It looks like Gome2 desktop from five years ago. The first thing I noticed was that it would not recognize my Atheros ETH0 or WIFI chips. I plugged in my Eth0-to-USB dongle but it wouldn't recognize it either, so I was left without an internet connection.

I opened up a terminal and issued "zpool list". I was stunned to see NO pools listed. What was OpenIndiana setting on? "zfs list" show no datasets (filesystems), yet the file manager listed most of the usual suspects for directories and their contents.

Running the LiveUSB stick I opened Parted to see what free space was left on the USB stick and found 27Gb or 29GB still unused as /dev/ct04l0d0p0 (weird names, huh?) and created a pool using "zpool create rpool /dev/ct04l0d0p0. "zpool list" showed rpool. I added a dataset using "zfs create rpool/storage" and "zfs list" showed rpool/storage.

I did a reboot to see if the pool automaticall "export"ed itself when shut down and automatically "import"ed itself when powering up. During the reboot I got an abend with "/boot/zfsbooter" not found.

So, I powered down, booted back up into Neon, and reformatted that USB stick to clear it off.

I plan to play with zfs on my Neon system by creating about 5 files (VDEV's) of 100Mb each. Some gurus say that a pool has to be at least 64Mb and others say at least 128Mb. After I explore zfs raids and mirrors I plant to uninstall my zfs packages.

After hearing so many ZFS enthusiasts extol the virtue, ease and power of ZFS I was somewhat disappointed. Supposedly in development since 2001 and on Linux kernel mainline since 2009. I was surprised that it wasn't any more powerful than Btrfs and appears as the root file system on no Linux distros that I am aware of.

On a side note: several ZFS gurus talked about the necessity of using ECC RAM, snce ZFS is so RAM intensive (ARC - Adaptive Replacement Cache), to avoid ZFS writing bit-flipped data to the disk. It's only after the data is on the disk that ZFS's checksumming (which is no better than Btrfs') guarantees the data is pristine.

I researched that and found a report by Google based on their hundreds of thousands of servers that about 5 bit-flip errors occur per 8GB of RAM per hour. (These flips are usually caused by hard errors, soft errors, cosmic rays and environmental radiation). Intel disables ECC support in all memory controllers in desktop CPUs, like Core2, i3/i5/i7. Only Xeons have the ECC circuits enabled. So, buying ECC chips for PC's with Intel's i3, i5 or i7 CPU's would be a waste of money. Beside, I heard that the Linux kernel has had "BadRAM", by Rick van Rein, a kernel routine which does in software what is hard coded in ECC, since 2000, and Intel can't block it.

For hard and soft errors running Memtest86 once a month or so wouldn't be a bad idea.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 05, 2017, 09:57 PM.

Comment

I think Ryzen supports ECC, though it's not advertised.

Doesn't BTRFS checksum all file operations to prevent bit flip errors?

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
              I think Ryzen supports ECC, though it's not advertised.

Doesn't BTRFS checksum all file operations to prevent bit flip errors?
              I've heard of Ryzen, but not in the context of ECC support. There are ECC compatible mobos: https://us.hardware.info/product/386...specifications

Flip errors in RAM are handled differently from flip errors on storage.

Neither Btrfs nor ZFS checksums RAM but I've read that the kernel has, since 2000, some code built in (called "BadRAM") to do some RAM error checking. Btrfs uses crc32c to checksum data and metadata on the disk, and the disk format has room for 256 bits of checksum for metadata and up to a full leaf block (roughly 4k or more) for data blocks. Once your data & meta data gets written from the RAM to the disk it will remain as it was written. Any errors existing in RAM due to hard, soft, or cosmic rays will be written to disk unless you use ECC RAM. Intel does NOT activate ECC capabilities on their laptop CPUs (core2, i3, i5, i7) so, as I said, using ECC memory in computers using Intel CPUs is a waste of money.

Also, and I didn't mention this before, if by chance two bits were flipped ECC cannot correct those, resulting in an error rate of about 1 bit per 8Gb of RAM per hour. Errors written to disk would probably not be noticeable on images or videos, unless the error was in the headers of those files. They would play fine and no one would notice that a single pixel was a different color. If bits were flipped on a spreasheet before being written to disk, for example, that is a different story because only the person writing the spreadsheet and knowing what the sum of the asserts column column should be could spot the error and check it. IF they spot the error. Others reading the manually uncorrected spreadsheet would assume the sum of the total assets was correct. Computers never lie, right?
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 06, 2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

OpenIndiana, a Solaris spinoff, has the "mkfile" command which allows one to use "mkfile -100m somefilename". It also allows one to use several of those files to create a pool using zpool. In Linux we have dd and truncate. However, my attempts to create a zfs pool in Neon using four "somefilename"s didn't work because they were not /dev devices. So, I attempted to use the /dev/loop0 through /dev/loop3 to make the pool. That attempt failed because the loop devices were not 64Mb in size, the minimum device size allowed for zfs on Linux.

The smallest device I've used to create a Btrfs pool was a collection of four 4Gb USB sticks.

Also, Btrfs allows me to grow my Btrfs partition OR to SHRINK it. ZFS does NOT allow shrinkage of a pool, only expansion. So, if you want to shrink a pool you must destroy it and recreate it using smaller vdevs.

While ZFS has several neat abilities, over all, Btrfs offers similar capabilities and more, and is more flexible.

This concludes my tests of the ZFS file system, so I am going to purge ZFS from my system.

Comment

Yay,,,,BTRFS wins ,,,,I'll stick with my BTRFS solutions !!

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

For grins and giggles I looked for a Linux distro that claimed to feature ZFS. I found Antergos. It is based on ArchLinux and is current at 2017.11 in a rolling release. One article on it claimed that one could set ZFS as the root file system.

I DL'd it and burned it as a LiveUSB using Etcher. When I booted into it I was presented (very quickly I might add) with a Gnome3 desktop. I opened a terminal and issued "zpool list", expecting to see some pool listed. There was none! I opened GParted to see what the root file system was and it showed MDOS64. I had a few Gb free on the USB stick so I determined to use ZFS to format it. However, ZFS was NOT on the list of installable file systems! Wow!

So, how does one use ZFS to back up their root and home directories? Just like OpenIndiana, they can't. They are forced to use classic EXT/DOS backup tools. So sad. There isn't anything they can do with ZFS in Antergos that I can't in Neon with ZFS installed. In fact, their ZFS isn't as complete as Kubuntu/Neon's ZFS.

As far as running ZFS as a root file system in Linux Kubuntu/Neon's Btrfs root filesystem is MILES ahead of ZFS because unless you remap your @ and @home subvolumes to a ZFS pool, which would be some neat trick if you could do it, there is no way to back up your root and home with ZFS. On every distro I've looked at ZFS is just a file system for a server (that requires a DOS or EXT boot partition to enable it). It would be best run on a headless server and admin'd remotely with SSH.

I am totally satisfied that ZFS is not ready to run as a root file system with the same capabilities as Btrfs, and may not be ready for one or more years.

IF, on the outside chance you want to create a Kubuntu or Neon system with ZFS as the root file system the instructions are here: https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wi...04-Root-on-ZFS

This truly concludes my ZFS experimentation.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 07, 2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Final thoughts on ZFS

One theme that is constant among ZFS acolytes is that it is "more mature" than Btrfs, i.e., development was started on Linux earlier (by a couple years) than Btrfs development on Linux

That argument is like saying that a Model T is better than a Lexus because it is "more mature". Which would you rather drive? That somewhat unfair pun aside, Btrfs developers may have started development sometime later but they have the advantage of technological improvements made after ZFS development began. Also, initial ZFS development was NOT open source so its beginnings (design vs marketing considerations) is clouded in darkness.

That argument also makes it difficult to understand why ZFS has not appeared in the file selection box of the graphical distro installer of any major Linux distribution, while Btrfs is listed on several and the number is increasing. Probably because of the lawsuit fear that Oracle's CDDL license invokes. Remember .NET and Microsoft's attempt to get the Linux development community to embrace it by issuing a letter which revoked patents on portions of .NET? After releasing the .NET dev tools many noticed that the GUI portions in the .NET release were NOT listed on the patent revocation letter. Anyone who glibly grabbed the tools and began releasing .NET GUI applications were vulnerable to Microsoft's patent lawyer whims.

Also, even though OpenZFS's zfs.ko module is part of the kernel, when it is envoked by modprobe, it was and is being developed in a "Green Room" where properties and behaviors of ZFS are mimicked by black-box investigations, experimentation and trial and error, while at no time looking at Oracle's ZFS code. That process is no guarantee that OpenZFS won't be given a cease-and-desist letter, which could lead to a patent lawsuit. That's a risk no one in the Linux community wants to assume, to say nothing of paying legal defense fees. That's why Btrfs will replace EXT4 and prior file systems and become the premier root file system on all major Linux distros, except Red Hat, of course. Since Centos is branching away and planning to become their own base, will they still follow RH away from Btrfs or stay with Btrfs?
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 10, 2017, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Excellent analysis and explanation. Succinct and informative. Thank you, GG.

Please Read Me

Comment

One theme that is constant among ZFS acolytes is that it is "more mature" than Btrfs, i.e., development was started on Linux earlier (by a couple years) than Btrfs development on Linux

That argument is like saying that a Model T is better than a Lexus because it is "more mature". Which would you rather drive? That somewhat unfair pun aside, Btrfs developers may have started development sometime later but they have the advantage of technological improvements made after ZFS development began. Also, initial ZFS development was NOT open source so its beginnings (design vs marketing considerations) is clouded in darkness.

That argument also makes it difficult to understand why ZFS has not appeared in the file selection box of the graphical distro installer of any major Linux distribution, while Btrfs is listed on several and the number is increasing. Probably because of the lawsuit fear that Oracle's CDDL license invokes. Remember .NET and Microsoft's attempt to get the Linux development community to embrace it by issuing a letter which revoked patents on portions of .NET? After releasing the .NET dev tools many noticed that the GUI portions in the .NET release were NOT listed on the patent revocation letter. Anyone who glibly grabbed the tools and began releasing .NET GUI applications were vulnerable to Microsoft's patent lawyer whims.

Also, even though OpenZFS's zfs.ko module is part of the kernel, when it is envoked by modprobe, it was and is being developed in a "Green Room" where properties and behaviors of ZFS are mimicked by black-box investigations, experimentation and trial and error, while at no time looking at Oracle's ZFS code. That process is no guarantee that OpenZFS won't be given a cease-and-desist letter, which could lead to a patent lawsuit. That's a risk no one in the Linux community wants to assume, to say nothing of paying legal defense fees. That's why Btrfs will replace EXT4 and prior file systems and become the premier root file system on all major Linux distros, except Red Hat, of course. Since Centos is branching away and planning to become their own base, will they still follow RH away from Btrfs or stay with Btrfs.
                          CDDL is a free and open source license (it's just considered incompatible with the GPL)1. Oracle has no legal case against anyone using the source as permitted by the CDDL. The reason why it's not included in the kernel (it's a separate module for this reason, and not a part of the kernel), because the GPL demands that derivative works must be under GPL also. And you can't incorporate stuff with incompatible licenses into the kernel without breaking the GPL. This is of course not a statement on which filesystem is better for any particular purpose.

1CDDL is somewhat more permissive than the GPL, but not as permissive as MIT/BSD licenses: You're allowed to use and distribute the software as you see fit as long as the source remains under the CDDL. Compare to GPL which dictates that everything (not just the source) shall be under the GPL.

Comment

I was aware of those facts and in a previous post had an excerpt from the CDDL license. However, the land of legal operates by strange rules and nothing is written in stone. Consider that the SCO lawsuit against IBM. After 15 years and several courtroom losses by SCO, the lawsuit was given another green light to continue, even those McBride hasn't been CEO for years, SCO no longer exists. Just who is funding this continued legal action and how will they benefit? In that light who can really guarantee that Ellison or some other deep pocket won't sue OpenZFS or any NAS or distro? That's why ZFS won't become popular in Linux, that and the fact that a root file system option for ZFS is missing from all major distros except a few which are installed only by greybeards.

Comment

I was aware of those facts and in a previous post had an excerpt from the CDDL license. However, the land of legal operates by strange rules and nothing is written in stone. Consider that the SCO lawsuit against IBM. After 15 years and several courtroom losses by SCO, the lawsuit was given another green light to continue, even those McBride hasn't been CEO for years, SCO no longer exists. Just who is funding this continued legal action and how will they benefit? In that light who can really guarantee that Ellison or some other deep pocket won't sue OpenZFS or any NAS or distro? That's why ZFS won't become popular in Linux, that and the fact that a root file system option for ZFS is missing from all major distros except a few which are installed only by greybeards.
                              If you think it that way, you can't really do anything...ever. Because no one can ever "guarantee" someone won't sue you for it. But what would be the point in suing this case? And if there is such a point, there is nothing to stop them from suing btrfs or any other file system developer/distributor (zfs is no different from them in this regard...they are all open source software).

There are plenty of lawyers (and deep pockets for legal fees, as well) in the open source world to fend of any frivolous law suits (and there are organizations that exist basically for this purpose, to help in legal matters, including defense for those that do not have deep pockets).
                              And this is very different legally from some more complex cases (which are legally less clear).

There is very little point in suing openzfs (or anyone) over their use of open sourced code:
                              1. There is very little reason to and really nothing to gain.
                              2. You won't win.
                              3. You can't stop the usage of open source code by suing someone over it (code released open source stays open source once it is released as such, there is nothing you can do to change that retroactively).
                              4. Basically the only claim one could have here that someone might be breaking the GPL by including CDDL code, and that's a violation just on the GPL (not on the the CDDL or Oracle or any of their current or future stakeholders).

ZFS might not see wide adoption in linux (the GPL incompatibility makes it currently somewhat impractical) and I use btrfs myself and don't really need ZFS for anything, but it's a fine file system and it's licensing is quite clearly free and open source, with very little legal baggage over any other free and open source software (There are plenty of other software with different licenses in practically every linux distribution, some compatible with GPL and some not...and it's really hard to see why this one would be drastically different from them)
                              Last edited by kubicle; Nov 10, 2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X