X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I right-click on the subvolume. In my case, @KDEneon

Please Read Me

Comment

I see what you're seeing now. I didn't know right-clicking in blank space would pick up the subvolume. That could be dangerous if you deleted that way. You could delete your system. Let me work on that.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        I see what you're seeing now. I didn't know right-clicking in blank space would pick up the subvolume. That could be dangerous if you deleted that way. You could delete your system. Let me work on that.
        In a "normal" btrfs installation users do not have regular access to @ and @home unless they mount their primary partition to /mnt (or some other point) and expose those two base subvolumes.

That's why I never went ahead with plans to create an app that would make backup snapshots the way I do - it was just to easy to do in manually.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

BTRFS subvolume handling through a service menu

In a "normal" btrfs installation users do not have regular access to @ and @home unless they mount their primary partition to /mnt (or some other point) and expose those two base subvolumes. That's why I never went ahead with plans to create an app that would make backup snapshots the way I do - it was just too easy to do it manually.

How does @KDEneon show in your Dolphin listing? Under "/" or at the same level?
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 26, 2018, 06:42 AM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I updated this and added the ability to name your snapshots on the fly and a "get Info" feature for a subvolume. I fixed a couple places where "Cancel" didn't work right and one grammatical error.

https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1214134/

If a couple of you would download, test, and report, I'd appreciate it. Thanks !
            Last edited by oshunluvr; Aug 14, 2018, 07:28 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I tried to install this from the KDE store. It will not install. The KDE store registration is not working at this moment. Since I can't post any comments on the KDE store, then I am posting here.
              Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                I tried to install this from the KDE store. It will not install. The KDE store registration is not working at this moment. Since I can't post any comments on the KDE store, then I am posting here.
                it dose not install from the store you download the .tar.gz click the "files"tab on the mane page and then click the file link , unpack the .tar.gz and place it all in ~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus.

it tells you this on the mane page

O I just DL'd this new version , will test and report later

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OK so , I just replaced the old "subvolume-Manager" with the new one and think I have found a quirk.

the "detaled info" is incorectly identifying @apt-snapshot-release-upgrade-bionic-2018-03-10_13:06:28 & @apt-snapshot-release-upgrade-bionic-2018-03-10_16:32:01 as snapshots of @ (that is snapshots of @17.04 created during the move to bionic)

@ is Neon-LTS (and still is )

I have not tested the "name on the fly" snapshot yet but will report when I do .

VINNY

EDIT: OK the "name on the fly" works just fine

you may want to edit the "read me" in the .tar.gz to reflect the featur

EDIT-2 oops O nice work , this makes these tasks so easy for me , thanks
                  Last edited by vinnywright; Sep 04, 2018, 05:57 PM.
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Hmm, I'll look into that. You might check your UUIDs and make sure you're correct. It seems to work here;

Using Dolphin submenu "Detailed Subvolume Information";
                    Info on /subvol/@KDEneon
                    /subvol/@KDEneon
                    Name: @KDEneon
                    UUID: bd382692-b6d5-2e42-8d83-a334a7ed3a61
                    Parent UUID: ee03d412-f39d-134d-b51a-c460ee647b70
                    Received UUID: -
                    Creation time: 2018-05-16 21:18:30 -0400
                    Subvolume ID: 699
                    Generation: 265326
                    Gen at creation: 98
                    Parent ID: 5
                    Top level ID: 5
                    Flags: -
                    Snapshot(s):
                    snapshots/@KDEneon_ro
                    @KDEneon_180813-182713
                    @KDEneon_ro
                    Command line of same subvol;
                    stuart@office:~$ bt su show /subvol/@KDEneon
                    /subvol/@KDEneon
                    Name: @KDEneon
                    UUID: bd382692-b6d5-2e42-8d83-a334a7ed3a61
                    Parent UUID: ee03d412-f39d-134d-b51a-c460ee647b70
                    Received UUID: -
                    Creation time: 2018-05-16 21:18:30 -0400
                    Subvolume ID: 699
                    Generation: 265325
                    Gen at creation: 98
                    Parent ID: 5
                    Top level ID: 5
                    Flags: -
                    Snapshot(s):
                    snapshots/@KDEneon_ro
                    @KDEneon_180813-182713
                    @KDEneon_ro
                    Maybe it has something to do with "apt-snapshot" or whatever tool you used to make them?? Or did you do the snapshots manually?

I went through four of mine and they all checked out. If it is indeed a quirk from using apt-snapshot or whatever, I need to at least note it in the read me.

I was thinking of added a tool to allow you to revert from read-only to read-write and back again. I'll work on that while waiting for your reply.

Please Read Me

Comment

no , I am quite sure .

the snapshots were made by the "do-release-upgrade -d" command .

this is whats their in the BTRFS partition

Code:
                      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/mnt/test$ ls
                      @       @17.04-1snap     @apt-snapshot-release-upgrade-bionic-2018-03-10_13:06:28  @home       @home17.04-1snap     ubiquity-apt-clone
                      @17.04  @_171204-203229  @apt-snapshot-release-upgrade-bionic-2018-03-10_16:32:01  @home17.04  @home_171204-203128  var
                      @ is Neon-lts , @17.04 was upgrade as stated to 18.04 and the upgrader made the snapshots .

Code:
                      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo btrfs subvolume show /mnt/test/@
                      /mnt/test/@
                          Name:                   @
                          UUID:                   e8989761-6b49-e644-981e-c4297f9110dc
                          Parent UUID:            -
                          Received UUID:          -
                          Creation time:          2017-04-21 18:05:45 -0400
                          Subvolume ID:           267
                          Generation:             291094
                          Gen at creation:        2789
                          Parent ID:              5
                          Top level ID:           5
                          Flags:                  -
                          Snapshot(s):
                                                  @_171204-203229
                                                  @apt-snapshot-release-upgrade-bionic-2018-03-10_13:06:28
                                                  @apt-snapshot-release-upgrade-bionic-2018-03-10_16:32:01
                      ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,

But aparently I may be wrong , I just wint into @apt-snapshot-release-upgrade-bionic-2018-03-10_13:06:28 and wint to /etc/os-release and ,,,,,,,,,,

Code:
                      NAME="KDE neon LTS"
                      VERSION="5.12"
                      ID=neon
                      ID_LIKE="ubuntu debian"
                      PRETTY_NAME="KDE neon LTS User Edition 5.12"
                      VERSION_ID="16.04"
                      HOME_URL="http://neon.kde.org/"
                      SUPPORT_URL="http://neon.kde.org/"
                      BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.kde.org/"
                      VERSION_CODENAME=xenial
                      UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial
                      I do not remember trying an upgrade on the Neon-lts install , it did not work as Neon-LTS is still xenial
                      so your script must be working corectly ,,,,,,,,my bad

thay will go by by now

this is the /etc/os-release info from the @17.04 subvolume

Code:
                      NAME="Ubuntu"
                      VERSION="18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"
                      ID=ubuntu
                      ID_LIKE=debian
                      PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 18.04 LTS"
                      VERSION_ID="18.04"
                      HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"
                      SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"
                      BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
                      PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
                      VERSION_CODENAME=bionic
                      UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic
                      that one did work .
                      O and dispite it saying "Ubuntu" it is "Kubuntu"

VINNY
                      Last edited by vinnywright; Sep 05, 2018, 04:11 PM.
                      16GB RAM

Comment

OK, cool. I've figured out the read-only change thingy but I don't like how the script handles "sudo". It seems if you enter the wrong password the script doesn't exit, but runs thorough and then fails. I want it to kick you out if you enter the wrong password

Please Read Me

Comment

Oshunluver, I tried out your latest Dophin BTRFS service. Everything seems to work except those that merely supply info. They just ask for the password and then disappear. No info dialog appears.

Comment

The info get pushed via notify-send rather than a dialog box. I thought a notification was less obtrusive than a window you were required to close.

Please Read Me

Comment

OK, cool. I've figured out the read-only change thingy but I don't like how the script handles "sudo". It seems if you enter the wrong password the script doesn't exit, but runs thorough and then fails. I want it to kick you out if you enter the wrong password
                              I've got this figured out.

Please Read Me

Comment

The info get pushed via notify-send rather than a dialog box. I thought a notification was less obtrusive than a window you were required to close.
                                mmm... never showed there, either I looked everywhere for them, even in dmesg's.

Oh well, the rest worked great, but I never save my snapshots inside of / or /home. Always in the <ROOT_FS>, which Dolphin can't see.

Comment

Working...
                                X