This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the fold, VINNY!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Oshunluver, I've put that Btrfs backup project on hold.

I wanted to make a static binary that wouldn't have to depend on existing libraries and I didn't want to make a deb package that would pull down missing libaries (I'm too old of a dog to learn that new trick). In Qt4, when I used it between 2004 -2008, all one needed to do was add "Config += static" in the *.pro file and rerun "qmake *.pro". Then, complete the development of your app and compile. The binary would be static (and possibly large).

Qt 5.8 requires a different approach. One has to recompile Qt 5.8 itself to create static objects out of QtCore, etc..., first. But, the GPL version does not come with the .configure files necessary to create static Qt 5.8 binaries.

Meanwhile, I've been looking at Btrbk as a possible tool. Turns out it is too complicated to do what I want to do. And, it is a Perl script (which are notoriously "write only", i.e., almost impossible to read for determination of what the code is going to do).

My needs are simple.
      1) Mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
      2) Mount /dev/sdb /backup (and possibly /dev/sdc1 /backupusb - the USB drive)
      3) Create @_bkupYYYYMMDD and @home_bkupYYYYMMDD
      4) Send & receive them to /backup as incremental using date of previous incremental backup
      5) Umount /backup (and /backupsub)
      6) Delete previous but now unnecessary backups on /mnt
      7) Umount /mnt

In case of disaster recover from /backup1 (or /backupsub)
      1) Mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
      2) Mount /dev/sdb /backup (and possibly /dev/sdc1 /backupusb - the USB drive)
      3) Send & receive last Incremental backups from /backup to /mnt (both @_bkupYYYYMMDD and @home_bkupYYYYMMDD)
      4a) mv /mnt/@ /mnt/@BROKEN
      4b) mv /mnt/@home /mnt/@homeBROKEN
      5a) btrfs subvolume snapshot /mnt/@_bkupYYYYMMDD /mnt/@
      5b) btrfs subvolume snapshot /mnt/@home_bkupYYYYMMDD /mnt/@home
      6a) btrfs subvolume delete /mnt/@BROKEN
      6b) btrfs subvolume delete /mnt/@homeBROKEN
      7) Umount /mnt

Btrbk does not do recoveries, so that part would be manual anyway, unless I wrote a script to do it. So, I guess I'll be doing it manually.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 22, 2017, 12:46 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks for the welcom to BTRFS @GG

YES we have 2 bootabel OS's on /dev/sda1 on it's BTRFS file system ,,,,the new Kubuntu-17.04 and the Neon-user-LTS ,,,,,,,,my current Neon is/was Kubuntu-16.04 with the Neon /dev/stable repo added to sources list

now to play with it ,,,,,,,

O the menu entry is

Code:
        menuentry 'Neon-lts' {
        insmod btrfs
        set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
        linux /@/vmlinuz root=UUID=ff5d66d4-35b6-4c9c-a64e-8dfbe2aa1e31 rootflags=subvol=@ ro quiet splash
        initrd /@/initrd.img
        }
        Code:
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ findmnt
        TARGET                                SOURCE            FSTYPE     OPTIONS
        /                                     /dev/sda1[/@]     btrfs      rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=267,subvol=/@
        ├─/sys                                sysfs             sysfs      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
        │ ├─/sys/kernel/security              securityfs        securityfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
        │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup                    tmpfs             tmpfs      ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755
        │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd          cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd
        │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio            cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio
        │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct      cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct
        │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event       cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event
        │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset           cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset
        │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/pids             cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids
        │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/memory           cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory
        │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/freezer          cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer
        │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/devices          cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices
        │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb          cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb
        │ │ └─/sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio
        │ ├─/sys/fs/pstore                    pstore            pstore     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
        │ ├─/sys/kernel/debug                 debugfs           debugfs    rw,relatime
        │ └─/sys/fs/fuse/connections          fusectl           fusectl    rw,relatime
        ├─/proc                               proc              proc       rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
        │ └─/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc          systemd-1         autofs     rw,relatime,fd=24,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=10774
        ├─/dev                                udev              devtmpfs   rw,nosuid,relatime,size=8168892k,nr_inodes=2042223,mode=755
        │ ├─/dev/pts                          devpts            devpts     rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000
        │ ├─/dev/shm                          tmpfs             tmpfs      rw,nosuid,nodev
        │ ├─/dev/hugepages                    hugetlbfs         hugetlbfs  rw,relatime
        │ └─/dev/mqueue                       mqueue            mqueue     rw,relatime
        ├─/run                                tmpfs             tmpfs      rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=1638148k,mode=755
        │ ├─/run/lock                         tmpfs             tmpfs      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k
        │ └─/run/user/1000                    tmpfs             tmpfs      rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=1638148k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000
        └─/home                               /dev/sda1[/@home] btrfs      rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=268,subvol=/@home
        Code:
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo btrfs sub list -a /                                                                
        [sudo] password for vinny:                                                                                               
        ID 257 gen 2781 top level 5 path <FS_TREE>/@17.04                                                                            
        ID 258 gen 2842 top level 5 path <FS_TREE>/@home17.04                                                                         
        ID 267 gen 3618 top level 5 path <FS_TREE>/@                                                                                    
        ID 268 gen 3618 top level 5 path <FS_TREE>/@home
        Code:
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ lsb_release -a
        No LSB modules are available.
        Distributor ID: neon
        Description:    KDE neon LTS User Edition 5.8
        Release:        16.04
        Codename:       xenial

VINNY

EDIT: O yes the "sudo ubiquity -b" worked well ,,did not even have the option to install grub

Last edited by vinnywright; Apr 22, 2017, 01:38 PM.
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hummm it just came to my attention that running "df -h" from in ether of the installs in the btrfs file system shows the COMBINED usage of everything in the file system ,,,,not just the disk usage of the running system ,,,

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Unfortunately, the only way currently to determine how large a single subvolume is requires enabling quota groups, and I think that functionality is still wonky - at least it was the last time I tried it.

See here: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Quota_support

Read the "Known Issues" section.

You could enable it, run the qgroup show command, and then disable qgroups. I think it wouldn't cause any issues that way. Next time I'm on the brtrfs IRC channel I'll ask them. They're usually very responsive and helpful.

You could do a send|receive to a btrfs file system with nothing else on it and get a good idea of it's size.

Part of the problem is space usage is not done in the traditional way we think of it. It's not a 1-for-1 relationship like a stack of papers would be. You might be better off right-clicking on the root subvolume folder and letting Dolphin calculate it's size.

((break's over. back to cutting a hole in a brick wall for me... ))

Please Read Me

Comment

I find that "usage" gives fairly close approximations to total HD usage:
              [code]
              :~$ sudo btrfs fi usage /
              [sudo] password for jerry:
              Overall:
              Device size: 691.19GiB
              Device allocated: 95.07GiB
              Device unallocated: 596.12GiB
              Device missing: 0.00B
              Used: 92.33GiB
              Free (estimated): 597.48GiB (min: 299.42GiB)
              Data ratio: 1.00
              Metadata ratio: 2.00
              Global reserve: 159.48MiB (used: 0.00B)

Data,single: Size:92.01GiB, Used:90.64GiB
              /dev/sda1 92.01GiB

Metadata,DUP: Size:1.50GiB, Used:863.64MiB
              /dev/sda1 3.00GiB

System,DUP: Size:32.00MiB, Used:16.00KiB
              /dev/sda1 64.00MiB

Unallocated:
              /dev/sda1 596.12GiB
              [/cpde]

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                You might be better off right-clicking on the root subvolume folder and letting Dolphin calculate it's size.

((break's over. back to cutting a hole in a brick wall for me... ))
                and that is exactly what I did ,,,,,,,,,after mounting the partition so I could see the @ subvolume

dolphin in the running system considers the 300GB drive to be / ,,,,,so no going up from their to see the subvolumes .

? did you get your hole cut ,,,,escape rout ?

@GG ,,,will check out that "usage" when I get back to that system ,,,,,,I still have a lot to do their before it's vinny ready ,,, LOL ,, like linking all my ~/ directories to the data drive ,,,,, installing kdesudo , Neon-lts dose not have it by default ,,,strange.

redoing my grub menu entry to point to /boot/grub/grub.cfg ,,,,and see if it works , I did not think all the /boot/grub stuff would be their as grub was not installed , but it seems that all of that stuff still gets made , and correctly configured from what I can see ,,,,just not installed to the drive or partition.

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                  ? did you get your hole cut ,,,,escape rout ? VINNY
                  Moved some equipment to the family room and needed to put a hole through the brick for network cables and such. Hammer and chisel - the old fashioned way!

Please Read Me

Comment

Old folks tend to be "old school"?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      Old folks tend to be "old school"?
                      Yes sir. Sometimes it's better to do it the simple way.

Please Read Me

Comment

Moved some equipment to the family room and needed to put a hole through the brick for network cables and such. Hammer and chisel - the old fashioned way!
                        Aaaaa ,,,been their ,,done that ,,,,,,,,lots

I worked masonry for quite a wile ,,,and my brother is a mason (a really good one) and stone carver ,,,,he has stone caving chisels you can not just go and buy ,,,,,,,,, his last employer realy used him even to the point of turning in to corporate my brothers drawings layouts,elevations and prints for dissembling repairing and reseting a historic restoration project as his own wile treeting my brother like a common boot .

he was begging my brother for the contact info to get 2 of the specialized radius chisels as he was leaving when he had finally had enough ,,,,,,he never got it ,,,he wasn't worthy

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          ,,,he wasn't worthy

VINNY
                          That's "stone" cold! Hehehehe
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                            That's "stone" cold! Hehehehe
                            ROTFLMAO ,,,,,,,, Aaaaa that was good .

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

... needed to put a hole through the brick for network cables and such. Hammer and chisel - the old fashioned way!
                              Like Vinny, been there too, but that got me wondering, a drilled hole with something like one of these
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	core_drill_bit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	643500
                              would be cool.
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

I have a similar looking tool for drilling marble/granite counters for faucets. It has abrasive where it teeth are on those. Totally a great idea for next time.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                                X