Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used an 8GB swap partition before, when I added Neon to Kubuntu 16.04. It was never used. When I installed the Neon Users Edition on this new HD I didn't create a swap partition and haven't noticed any negative consequences.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

My recollection is that in the manual mode for disc setup, with Ext4 partitions and no specifications of a swap file, the installation complains and you need to define the swap file. When I used Btrfs without a swap file there was no problem. On a re-install, I decided to define the swap file and used a modest value of 1.5 GiB to be on the safe side.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        I used an 8GB swap partition before, when I added Neon to Kubuntu 16.04. It was never used. When I installed the Neon Users Edition on this new HD I didn't create a swap partition and haven't noticed any negative consequences.
        Thought you'd find this interesting, GG - had a discussion on Reddit not long ago about whether or not to use swap. Some very interesting points were made - someone asked how much swap to use for a desktop machine with 64GB of RAM.

Where we ended up? Glad you asked

Kernel expects to be able to page some stuff out; as an example, memory used to start an application that is not required for the application to run; better to have a few more disk buffers than stale data in memory.

I'd really never looked at it that way - where we ended up with the question was 30GB if he intended to hibernate (kernels compress hibernation images - target size is 2/5 of installed RAM) or 2GB without hibernation.

Anyway, got a couple links for you to play with - kernel documentation on swap management:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/gorman/ht...rstand014.html

There are two principle reasons that the existence of swap space is desirable. First, it expands the amount of memory a process may use. Virtual memory and swap space allows a large process to run even if the process is only partially resident. As “old” pages may be swapped out, the amount of memory addressed may easily exceed RAM as demand paging will ensure the pages are reloaded if necessary.

The casual reader may think that with a sufficient amount of memory, swap is unnecessary but this brings us to the second reason. A significant number of the pages referenced by a process early in its life may only be used for initialisation and then never used again. It is better to swap out those pages and create more disk buffers than leave them resident and unused.
        This kinda turned around my thinking on swap. Actually, Mel Gorman's whole book is online here -

Understanding the Linux Virtual Memory Manager

Anyway, not disagreeing with not having swap, but thought you would find this stuff kinda interesting

cheers -
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

OK, did a test and some research. If you choose manual partitioning and btrfs, the system does indeed create a swapfile. However, btrfs currently cannot properly handle swapfiles so although it's created, it's not being used.

btrfs basically ignores it:
          Code:
          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54FF54][B]stuart@zestyVM[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454FF][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ free -m[/COLOR]
                       total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
          Mem:          1997         782         118           4        1096        1050 
          Swap:            0           0           0
          [/FONT]
          There was a bug filed during alpha testing (I think) regarding this.

So currently; If you're proficient enough to want use btrfs, you either do it by manually partitioning and creating a swap partition, or use a different non-btrfs partition to hold the swap file, or don't use swap.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            However, btrfs currently cannot properly handle swapfiles so although it's created, it's not being used.
            That explains why I never observed the swap file being used when it was available in my previous installation. Also, in the back of my mind, was a recollection that Btrfs didn't use swap, but given the condition of my memory it's not something I trust these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Comparison of Ext4 and Btrfs

After reading this thread I, coincidentally, began copying critical files from my /home account to my new Btrfs sdb drive. Both drives are 750GB. Sda1 had 597GB free and sdb1 had 690GB free. I also used send & receive to move over my @ and @home backup snapshots. When I finished I noticed that sdb1 was left with 554GB, 43GB less than sda1, but sda1 has everything on it including the two bkup snapshots! Both drives use default compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 12, 2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                After reading this thread I, coincidentally, began copying critical files from my /home account to my new Btrfs sdb drive. Both drives are 750GB. Sda1 had 597GB free and sdb1 had 690GB free. I also used send & receive to move over my @ and @home backup snapshots. When I finished I noticed that sdb1 was left with 554GB, 43GB less than sda1, but sda1 has everything on it including the two bkup snapshots! Both drives use default compression.
                Are you using df or sudo btrfs fi df ?

Please Read Me

Comment

With both drives mounted, do this to both and compare:

sudo btrfs fi usage <MOUNT_POINT>

Please Read Me

Comment

I was watching Dolphin's free space display values while copying. They match pretty well with "Device unallocated", or "Free (Estimated)".

:~$ sudo btrfs fi usage /
                    Overall:
                    Device size: 691.19GiB
                    Device allocated: 95.02GiB
                    Device unallocated: 596.16GiB
                    Device missing: 0.00B
                    Used: 93.22GiB
                    Free (estimated): 596.82GiB (min: 298.74GiB)
                    Data ratio: 1.00
                    Metadata ratio: 2.00
                    Global reserve: 156.98MiB (used: 0.00B)

Data,single: Size:92.01GiB, Used:91.35GiB
                    /dev/sda1 92.01GiB

Metadata,DUP: Size:1.50GiB, Used:958.12MiB
                    /dev/sda1 3.00GiB

System,DUP: Size:8.00MiB, Used:16.00KiB
                    /dev/sda1 16.00MiB

Unallocated:
                    /dev/sda1 596.16GiB
                    jerry@jerry-Aspire-V3-771:~$ sudo btrfs fi usage /backup
                    Overall:
                    Device size: 698.63GiB
                    Device allocated: 145.02GiB
                    Device unallocated: 553.61GiB
                    Device missing: 0.00B
                    Used: 143.90GiB
                    Free (estimated): 554.21GiB (min: 277.41GiB)
                    Data ratio: 1.00
                    Metadata ratio: 2.00
                    Global reserve: 197.14MiB (used: 0.00B)

Data,single: Size:143.01GiB, Used:142.40GiB
                    /dev/sdb1 143.01GiB

Metadata,DUP: Size:1.00GiB, Used:765.00MiB
                    /dev/sdb1 2.00GiB

/dev/sdb1 16.00MiB

Unallocated:
                    /dev/sdb1 553.61GiB

Comment

If I read your posts correctly, I have assumed that your did a send|receive on all 4 subvols and did not do an incremental send of the snapshots. If this is not correct, let me know.

If my assumption is correct, then I believe the extra data usage is is a result of sending the snapshots. A snapshot takes zero space when initially taken and as long as it's on the same filesystem. It only grows as data is changed. But as soon as you did send|receive on the snapshots, the entire data set is sent and it's no longer actually a snapshot - it's now a stand-alone subvolume. This is where an incremental send would have been very useful.

Just so we're both on the same page, an example:

sda contains two subvolumes and a snapshot of each with these imaginary amounts of data:
                      The subvolumes
                      12 GB @
                      20 GB @home
                      The snapshots of the above subvolumes
                      2 GB @bckp
                      5 GB @home_bckp
                      39 GB in use

Above, @bckp and @home_bckp hold only the changes made to @ and @home. Most the the data is unchanged so resides in @ and @home.

Now we send|receive all four of them from sda to sdb. The new data sizes on sdb might be:
                      12 GB @
                      20 GB @home
                      13 GB @bckp
                      22 GB @home_bckp
                      67 GB in use

This is because while residing on sda as snapshots, @bckp and @home_bckp held only the changes that we made to @ and @home. Once you executed send|receive all the data and the changes went to the target file system with each snapshot.

But if we had done an incremental send of @bckp and @home_bckp the amount of used data space would have remained the same. So for example, these would be the commands;

# btrfs send @ | btrfs receive /backup
                      # btrfs send -p @ @bckp | btrfs receive /backup

and repeat for @home.

Again, assuming you did not do this, you could test my theory by deleting the backup snapshots from /backup (just @bckp and @home_bckp) and then re-sending them using the incremental send.

Please Read Me

Comment

Not quite the same situation. Here's my setup:
                        root@jerry-Aspire-V3-771:~# mount /dev/sdb1 /backup/
                        root@jerry-Aspire-V3-771:~# vdir /backup/
                        total 0
                        drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 21232 Apr 11 22:29 jerry
                        drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 76 Apr 11 09:47 snapshots

root@jerry-Aspire-V3-771:~# vdir /backup/snapshots/
                        total 0
                        drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 256 Apr 11 10:01 @_bkup-2017-04-08
                        drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10 Apr 11 10:29 @home_bkup-2017-04-08

root@jerry-Aspire-V3-771:~# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
                        root@jerry-Aspire-V3-771:~# vdir /mnt
                        total 0
                        drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 256 Apr 8 16:53 @
                        drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10 Apr 8 16:54 @home
                        drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 152 Apr 8 19:37 snapshots

root@jerry-Aspire-V3-771:~# vdir /mnt/snapshots/
                        total 0
                        drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 276 Mar 29 11:16 @_bkup-2017-03-29
                        drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 256 Apr 8 16:53 @_bkup-2017-04-08
                        drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30 Mar 29 14:16 @home_bkup-2017-03-29
                        drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10 Apr 8 16:54 @home_bkup-2017-04-08
                        root@jerry-Aspire-V3-771:~#

The @ and @home are only on /mnt. They are not read only, and I got an error when I attempted to send & receive them.
                        The two bkups in /mnt/snapshots ARE read only and were used to send & receive to sdb1 at /backup/snapshots. The "jerry" on /backups is a Dolphin drag & drop of my account directory.

BTW, the noatime settings would prevent timestamp changes when a file was updated, thus making the modified (or creation) time permanent. Yes?
                        I can vew "Modified" and "Last Accessed" times using Dolphin, but neither "ls" nor "vdir" show anything but the Modified time. Oh well. I'll change it and see what happens to the speed of my system. If I can't see any improvement I can always remove it.
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 12, 2017, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Well, that seems odd. A single backup should not be 30% larger than the source. Have you run a balance command to see if the space is freed up?

In order to send|receive a subvolume from one btrfs file system to another the subvolume has to be read-only as this is the only way to transmit the data and insure no corruption during the transmission.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            Well, that seems odd. A single backup should not be 30% larger than the source. Have you run a balance command to see if the space is freed up?

In order to send|receive a subvolume from one btrfs file system to another the subvolume has to be read-only as this is the only way to transmit the data and insure no corruption during the transmission.
                            I read that about needing to be "read only" but being the blockhead I am, and thinking that maybe recent updates have abilities not yet documented, I tried it anyway. I haven't done a balance yet. Since my system is only on one device would the "balancing" be between @ and @home?

Comment

No, it's chunk balancing. Try this on /backup:

sudo btrfs balance start -dusage=85 /backup

and then compare btrfs usage /backup to the previous one.

Please Read Me

Comment

$ sudo btrfs balance start -dusage=85 /backup
                                Done, had to relocate 1 out of 146 chunks

Took about ten seconds.

Code:
                                [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454FF][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ sudo btrfs fi usage /backup[/COLOR]
                                Overall:
                                    Device size:                 698.63GiB
                                    Device allocated:            145.02GiB
                                    Device unallocated:          553.61GiB
                                    Device missing:                  0.00B
                                    Used:                        143.90GiB
                                    Free (estimated):            554.22GiB      (min: 277.41GiB)
                                    Data ratio:                       1.00
                                    Metadata ratio:                   2.00
                                    Global reserve:              197.66MiB      (used: 0.00B)

Data,single: Size:143.01GiB, Used:142.40GiB
                                   /dev/sdb1     143.01GiB

Metadata,DUP: Size:1.00GiB, Used:765.52MiB
                                   /dev/sdb1       2.00GiB

/dev/sdb1      16.00MiB

Unallocated:
                                   /dev/sdb1     553.61GiB

[/FONT]
                                Freed up about 600Mb.

Comment

Working...
                                X