Cannot delete subvolume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot delete subvolume

I recently had to do a rollback using Greygeek's easy-to-follow instructions. I had to mv my @ to @old in order to rollback both @ and @home from my snapshots folder. The rollback went fine, so I deleted the @homeold folder successfully, but got the following error when I tried to delete @old:

root@steve-B460MDS3HV2:/mnt# btrfs subv delete /mnt/@old
    Delete subvolume (no-commit): '/mnt/@old'
    ERROR: Could not destroy subvolume/snapshot: Directory not empty

What did I do wrong? How do I get rid of it?

This happens if there's a snapshot inside a snapshot. You have to delete the nested snapshot first.

This command should list all snapshots. Assuming "/mnt/ is the location you have the root btrfs file system mounted:

sudo btrfs su li /mnt

I again assume you will see something like:

ID 2569 gen 1940946 top level 5 path @old
    ID 3236 gen 2865617 top level 2569 path @old/@some_subvol

Note the ID of @old is listed as the "top level" of the second entry.

Deleting @some_subvol will then allow the deletion of @old

Please Read Me
    Be not the first by whom the new are tried, Nor yet the last to lay the old aside. - Alexander Pope, An Essay on Criticism, 1711

Comment

Here's what I get when I use the li command:

root@steve-B460MDS3HV2:~# btrfs su li /mnt/@old
      ID 256 gen 48999 top level 5 path @old
      ID 457 gen 578 top level 256 path var/lib/portables
      ID 458 gen 579 top level 256 path var/lib/machines
      ID 542 gen 49282 top level 5 path @
      ID 543 gen 49282 top level 5 path @home
      ID 545 gen 49015 top level 5 path snapshots/@_211211-123921_ro
      ID 546 gen 49017 top level 5 path snapshots/@home_211211-124017_ro

The last two are today's snapshots. I remember seeing something like the two entries just below ID 256, and I presume these are the two subvolumes causing the trouble. Do I delete them to get rid of @old? I'm not doing anything until I find out.

Comment

It looks like :

ID 457 gen 578 top level 256 path var/lib/portables
        ID 458 gen 579 top level 256 path var/lib/machines

are indeed the problem. I would just verify they don't contain anything (I have them here but they are empty) and if so, delete them:

sudo btrfs su de -c /mnt/@old/var/lib/portables
        sudo btrfs su de -c /mnt/@old/var/lib/machines
        sudo btrfs su de -c /mnt/@old/

If they are NOT empty, one would probably want to review the contents.

Frankly, I find it exceedingly strange these folders are subvolumes. Something went haywire with some btrfs program or script you ran in the past I suppose.

Please Read Me
        Be not the first by whom the new are tried, Nor yet the last to lay the old aside. - Alexander Pope, An Essay on Criticism, 1711

Comment

Thanks, that certainly did the trick. By the way, was the -c necessary in the commands?

Comment

Not necessary, but "commit" gets it done asap. Since btrfs actions are cached, if you were to continue using your file system after issuing the nested delete commands, I felt it might take a while to complete. If something were to crash the system prior to the completion of the delete, the subvolume might reappear. I just feel it best to get the deletions over with asap to avoid potential problems.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the information and the help. Sometimes I get frustrated with btrfs, but usually it's my fault, most often typing errors!

Comment

no problem, that's why I lurk here, lol. I've been using BTRFS daily since btrfs-tools version 0.19! Now we're on like 5.4 or something

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X