This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btrfs

I have seen quite a few references to BTRFS on this forum and so decided to google it. OK, so now I know it's a Linux file system which replaces ext 4, but what I don't know are the advantages of BTFRS for someone like me, a generally casual user and occasional experimenter (I use Virtual Box to test different Linux OS and am not afraid to use disk partitioners with a little guidance). Would I notice the difference, and if so, what extra would I be able to do that I can't do now? I'm currently using a PC clone with an i3 processor and 4 GiB of ram--my HD is a dual-partition, with Kubuntu 16.04 (runs fine, no crashes) and Windows 10 (runs those few times I use it). How difficult would it be to switch over to BTRFS--would it be worth it? Mostly I'm just curious.

My uninformed opinion (I don't use btrfs); I still use ext4; is that for the casual "normal-every-day-user", btrfs is overkill. That said, and as stated, I'm really uninformed about btrfs. But oshunluvr and GreyGeek both use it, and like it a lot. They will have an answer for you.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Short answer: probably not.

Major advantages are: subvolumes (no partitioning), send/receive (backups), snapshots (failed upgrade or bad installation protection), multi-device pooling (RAID and/or LVM replacement).

In general use (just my opinion) the two best-use cases are: Small single SSD or Multi-drive desktop/server.

With a small SSD, you can use subvolumes instead of partitions allowing all free spaces to be pooled (available) to all subvolumes obviating the need to guess at partition sizes. With a server or multi-disk PC you can take advantage of RAID capabilities and transmit (send/receive) and snapshots to make easy backups and protect yourself from bad upgrades, etc.

There are other benefits, like the fact you can add or subtract drives from a pool without taking it off-line, but for most casual users the above benefits are the greatest.

Specifically to your case: recently you had to re-partition your HD. Using btrfs, you would have only a swap partition and btrfs partition, thus allowing you to add or subtract subvolumes at will to the btrfs partition without any re-partitioning of drive space and the inherent dangers of that operation. I have 3 versions of Kubuntu and KDEneon installed to the same pool (2x256gb SSDs) each with its' own home and two extra subvolumes holding other data - all of which have the ability to expand and contract within the limits of the pool size and it happens without me having to do anything. Pretty sweet, right?

I backup by "sending" a read-only snapshot of a subvolume from this pool to a 2TB hard drive and it can be done easily via a cronjob or manually.

Most of these advantages are removed if you have a single but large hard drive.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the info. My HD is 'only' 500 GiB (plus I have an external backup drive of 1 Tb and another of %00 GiB, which is full of old Kubuntu backup files, among other things) yet I manage to have 2 partitions plus 3 other OS on Virtual Box (KDE Neon, Peppermint 7 and Linux Mint 18) which I like to play around with. So far I haven't seen a need to change much (other than my recent re-partioning, which was successful though not always easy--I still don't know how I managed to boot Gparted from a USB and haven't been able to do it again) but I will copy the information you gave me in case I decide to try it out. After all, I'm retired and have plenty of time.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
          .... I'm retired and have plenty of time.
          I have only a single HD of 600GB and am retired like you ... plenty of time. I checked out the YouTube videos, and various anecdotals around the web. I found learning it was easy. Oshunluver had some excellent posts and I posted my installation and learning experiences on the forum. Searching for our names and btrfs will bring them up. A tool I found very useful is snapper. It is in the repository.
          Using it's default configuration settings would eat up your drive space, so I modified the config file like this:
          My "home" configuration:
          Code:
          # subvolume to snapshot
          SUBVOLUME="/home"

# filesystem type
          FSTYPE="btrfs"

# users and groups allowed to work with config
          ALLOW_USERS="jerry"
          ALLOW_GROUPS="jerry"

# sync users and groups from ALLOW_USERS and ALLOW_GROUPS to .snapshots
          # directory
          SYNC_ACL="yes"

# start comparing pre- and post-snapshot in background after creating
          # post-snapshot
          BACKGROUND_COMPARISON="yes"

# run daily number cleanup
          NUMBER_CLEANUP="yes"

# limit for number cleanup
          NUMBER_MIN_AGE="1800"
          NUMBER_LIMIT="5"
          NUMBER_LIMIT_IMPORTANT="5"

# create hourly snapshots
          TIMELINE_CREATE="no"

# cleanup hourly snapshots after some time
          TIMELINE_CLEANUP="yes"

# limits for timeline cleanup
          TIMELINE_MIN_AGE="1800"
          TIMELINE_LIMIT_HOURLY="0"
          TIMELINE_LIMIT_DAILY="0"
          TIMELINE_LIMIT_MONTHLY="1"
          TIMELINE_LIMIT_YEARLY="5"

# cleanup empty pre-post-pairs
          EMPTY_PRE_POST_CLEANUP="yes"

# limits for empty pre-post-pair cleanup
          EMPTY_PRE_POST_MIN_AGE="1800"
          and my "root" configuration
          Code:
          # subvolume to snapshot
          SUBVOLUME="/"

# filesystem type
          FSTYPE="btrfs"

# users and groups allowed to work with config
          ALLOW_USERS="jerry"
          ALLOW_GROUPS="jerry"

# sync users and groups from ALLOW_USERS and ALLOW_GROUPS to .snapshots
          # directory
          SYNC_ACL="yes"

# start comparing pre- and post-snapshot in background after creating
          # post-snapshot
          BACKGROUND_COMPARISON="yes"

# run daily number cleanup
          NUMBER_CLEANUP="yes"

# limit for number cleanup
          NUMBER_MIN_AGE="1800"
          NUMBER_LIMIT="5"
          NUMBER_LIMIT_IMPORTANT="5"

# create hourly snapshots
          TIMELINE_CREATE="no"

# cleanup hourly snapshots after some time
          TIMELINE_CLEANUP="yes"

# limits for timeline cleanup
          TIMELINE_MIN_AGE="1800"
          TIMELINE_LIMIT_HOURLY="0"
          TIMELINE_LIMIT_DAILY="0"
          TIMELINE_LIMIT_MONTHLY="1"
          TIMELINE_LIMIT_YEARLY="5"

# cleanup empty pre-post-pairs
          EMPTY_PRE_POST_CLEANUP="yes"

# limits for empty pre-post-pair cleanup
          EMPTY_PRE_POST_MIN_AGE="1800"
          In Kubuntu (and Ubuntu) a btrfs install creates two subvolumes, @ (/) and @HOME (/home). Other distros, like openSUSE create a dozen or more subvolumes on install and in my experience that complicates matters too much.

To make creating snapshots of / and /home a lot easier I wrote a script I titled "snap_pre_post.sh"
          Code:
          #!/bin/bash
          # created by Jerry L Kreps on July 20, 2015 and released under the GPL 2.0.
          # This script merely creates a snapshot in both root and home with the designation of PRE or POST as the type, 
          # which indicates that the user created it before an action or afterwards.
          # This script is run with PRE as the TYPE before an action which you may want to reverse
          # AND this script run again with POST as the TYPE after that action has been completed.  Both snapshots are singletons because
          # no timeline is used.  Only the "PRE" or"POST" in the description, along with a timestamp, links the pre to the post snapshot.
          # To reverse the action run the following two snapper commands:
          #
          # snapper -c home udochange n..m   where n or o is the number of the PRE and m or p is the number of the POST snapshot
          # sudo snapper -c root undochange o..p
          #
          # After running those two commands both of the empty snapshots folders can be deleted using
          #
          # snapper -c home delete n-m
          # sudo snapper -c root delete o-p
          #
          #
          #
          NOW=$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M)
          echo Enter snapshot type PRE or POST:
          read TYPE
          echo Enter description
          read DESC
          STR=$TYPE" "$DESC" "$NOW
          echo $STR
          HCMD='snapper -c home create -d "'${STR}'"'
          RCMD='sudo snapper -c root create -d "'${STR}'"'
          eval "$HCMD"
          eval "$RCMD"
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X