This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

convert ext4 with data to btrfs

This thread will be to test the conversion of an existing ext4 formated GPT Partition Table drive that contains data and if said data will survive the conversion to btrfs.

this box has 2 HD's 1-500GB system drive with 4-OS partitions-(ext4) msdos Partition Table and linux swap + a 1TB storage drive formated ext4 GPT Partition table (this will be the drive for the test)

I have 88GB of data on the storage drive that will be copied to the Ubuntu OS partition just in case the Ubuntu partition is 296GB with 277GB free (I hardly use it)

the 88GB of data in the storage drive is contained in 1 directory and in it are the directory's Documents,Downloads,dwhelper,Music,MyMachines,Pict ures,steam ,Videos that link to both the Kubuntu-14.04 an Kubuntu-14.10 installs ~/

Code:
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ ls -l
    total 51296
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny    68725 Dec 26 12:20 blue.pdf
    drwxr-xr-x 2 vinny vinny     4096 Jan 18 23:12 Desktop
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny     1356 Jan 18 02:07 df.txt
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       27 Oct 10 22:48 Documents -> /mnt/disk/kubuntu/Documents
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       27 Oct 10 22:48 Downloads -> /mnt/disk/kubuntu/Downloads
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       26 Oct 12 20:06 dwhelper -> /mnt/disk/kubuntu/dwhelper
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny 33688483 May 18  2011 GoogleEarthLinux.bin
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny    27437 Dec 26 11:55 insur.pdf
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       23 Oct 10 22:48 Music -> /mnt/disk/kubuntu/Music
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       28 Oct 13 23:17 MyMachines -> /mnt/disk/kubuntu/MyMachines
    drwxrwxr-x 3 vinny vinny     4096 Oct 10 23:22 None
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny  6031742 Jan 27 23:15 out.avi
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny 12601497 Jan 27 23:39 out.mp4
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       26 Oct 10 22:48 Pictures -> /mnt/disk/kubuntu/Pictures
    drwxr-xr-x 2 vinny vinny     4096 Oct  9 18:01 Public
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       23 Oct 12 21:12 steam -> /mnt/disk/kubuntu/steam
    drwxrwxr-x 3 vinny vinny     4096 Oct 12 21:02 Steam
    drwxr-xr-x 2 vinny vinny     4096 Oct 10 23:18 Templates
    drwxrwxr-x 3 vinny vinny     4096 Jan 19 15:10 test
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny      879 Nov  7 18:05 TetriAttack3-Data-Retail1                                                     
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 vinny vinny       24 Oct 10 22:48 Videos -> /mnt/disk/kubuntu/Videos                                            
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 vinny vinny    65917 Oct 13 19:25 wallmart.pdf
    at present the storage drive is as such.

Code:
    Model: ATA HGST HTS721010A9 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags
     1      1049kB  1000GB  1000GB  ext4         primary
    Code:
    inny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ df -h
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda3        52G   30G   20G  60% /
    none            4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    udev            7.8G  4.0K  7.8G   1% /dev
    tmpfs           1.6G  1.3M  1.6G   1% /run
    none            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    none            7.9G  2.8M  7.9G   1% /run/shm
    none            100M   20K  100M   1% /run/user
    /dev/sdb1       917G   88G  829G  10% /mnt/disk [COLOR=#ff0000]<---------------storage drive and object of test[/COLOR]
    /dev/sda1       296G  4.6G  277G   2% /media/vinny/Ubuntu [COLOR=#ff0000]<--------------------Ubuntu partition [/COLOR]
    system drive/partitions........................................
    Code:
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo parted -l
    [sudo] password for vinny: 
    Model: ATA HGST HTS725050A7 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags
     1      8225kB  323GB  323GB   primary   ext4            boot [COLOR=#ff0000]<-----------------Ubuntu-14.04[/COLOR]
     3      323GB   379GB  56.3GB  primary   ext4 [COLOR=#ff0000]<-----------------Kubuntu-14.04[/COLOR]
     4      379GB   496GB  117GB   extended
     5      379GB   436GB  57.0GB  logical   ext4 [COLOR=#ff0000]<------------------Kubuntu-14.10[/COLOR]
     6      436GB   496GB  59.8GB  logical   ext4 [COLOR=#0000ff]<------------------next install? [/COLOR]
     2      496GB   500GB  4295MB  primary   linux-swap(v1)
    @oshunluvr is testing/using btrfs extensively and has (I think) agreed to help in this test with pointers and suggestions

tonight I will be backing up the data to the Ubuntu install and installing the btrfs-tools package .

tomorrow reading up on as much as I can like this https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ighlight=btrfs and then doing the conversion Friday or Saturday

this should finally progress to fstab editing to the new btrfs sub-volumes and relinking the data to the Kubuntu ~/ + finally chain loading all the installs grubs through Ubuntus grub "that is in control right now" as explained @hear https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ot-How-To-quot

well thats enough typing right now

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

My suggestion is to continue as you've planned (and nicely documented, I must say ). Once you have the data backed up, hold your breathe and run the conversion. I think is will happen almost immediately, or not more than just a minute or so. The conversion will automatically create a "snapshot" of the existing data along with the conversion.

Steps:

Unmount the target partition, run fsck on it, then run btrfs-convert:

Code:
    sudo umount /dev/sdb1
    sudo fsck.ext4 /dev/sdb1
    sudo btrfs-convert /dev/sdb1
    I would now run a quick test to be sure all is well:

Code:
    sudo btrfs device scan
    sudo btrfs filesystem show
    The first command should return nothing and the second should return the device with it's size and UUID. Now edit fstab changing the mount to btrfs and I recommend these options:

rw,relatime,space_cache,compress

relatime isn't a btrfs thing, it just reduces time stamping. space_cache and compress will speed up access.

Once you have it mounted, do an ls and you should see all your files just as they were along with a snapshot labeled /ext4_saved . At this point as long as you've not changed any data on the drive, you can still re-mount it as ext4 or even rollback the conversion.

You can mount the snapshot separately by using the option subvol=ext4_saved. So an fstab entry to mount the subvolume to /mnt/data_snapshot that might look like:

Code:
    UUID=99999999...    /mnt/data_snapshot btrfs rw,relatime,space_cache,compress,subvol=ext4_saved 0 0
    If you are happy with the btrfs results, you can remove the snapshot:

Code:
    sudo btrfs subvolume delete /mnt/data/ext4_saved
    A bit about snapshots: Snapshot are not copies of anything initially, it just tells the filesystem to hold the meta data. As you delete data on the volume that you snapshot-ed, the space taken up by the snapshot will grow.

Example: Vinny has his data on /dev/sdb1 at /mnt/data. He makes a snapshot of it. Next, he deletes a movie file. A week later he changes his mind. He mounts the snapshot, copies the movie back to his data directory, and it's back. Or he could just mount the snapshot and play it there. Neat! One caution: snapshots are not really backups. Since they reside on the same filesystem as the original - anything that kills the original filesystem or drive kills the snapshot. Snapshots are great to prevent stupid mistakes (like deleting your favorite movie) or to rollback your install to it's previous state after installing something new.

Vinny, one more suggestion:

Once the conversion is complete and before you start using the new filesystem, I would move the files out of the root directory of the filesystem into a subvolume. With a drive that size, you can do a lot with it but keeping the data segregated will help keep your drive in order. I'm not sure if the automatically created snapshot is read-only or not. If it's not read-only (a simple touch command will reveal it with a read-only error) you can just mount the snapshot instead of the root volume and use it that way - deleting the files from the root volume. Here's why I would do this:

After the conversion, /mnt/data contains:

/Documents
    /Pictures
    /Videos
    /ext4_saved
    I would make a subvolume named @data and move all the files into it and delete the saved subvolume (or rename and mount the ext4_saved subvolume if it's rw and delete the files). Then a mount of /dev/sdb1 would look like

@data
    Then go back to fstab and change the mount option for /mnt/data and add subvol=@data

Now you can add more subvolumes to /dev/sdb1 to do other things, like save backups or do a new install. An example: Grab a copy of 14.10 with plasma5. Boot to it and install it to /dev/sdb1 AND DO NOT FORMAT! It will allow you to select the /dev/sdb1 partition, using it as btrfs and set the mount point as "/" and make sure the format box is UNCHECKED! Then allow the install to complete. Once it's done, reboot to your normal install. Mount /dev/sdb1 (the whole partition, not a subvolume) and you will see this:

@
    @data
    @home
    @ contains your new 14.10 with plasma5 install, @home contains the home folder for that install, and your data rests comfortably in @data. Very neat and organized.

To mount these new subvolumes, copy the same fstab line you created for @data and change the subvolume in the option to match the @ or @home. Easy.

I keep a subvolume on my big drive named @backups. Within it I have four folders: system, media, home, server. I then use rdiff-backup and a cronjob to make backups of my data at 2am on every Monday.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jan 29, 2015, 07:48 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

OK ,,,,,,so Geekiness cant wate

hears where we are .

data backed up to Ubuntu partition(/dev/sda1) took 10-15 min. to transfer the 88GB of data .

then.................

Code:
      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo umount /dev/sdb1

vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo fsck.ext4 /dev/sdb1
      e2fsck 1.42.9 (4-Feb-2014)
      Extra_Drive_1: clean, 4394/61054976 files, 26925854/244190208 blocks

vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo btrfs-convert /dev/sdb1
      creating btrfs metadata.
      creating ext2fs image file.
      cleaning up system chunk.
      conversion complete.
      the "btrfs-convert" took 15 minutes , about the same as the data transfer .

now we have

Code:
      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo btrfs device scan
      Scanning for Btrfs filesystems

vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo btrfs filesystem show
      Label: 'Extra Drive 1'  uuid: 030aba53-b498-4ff5-9e41-80699f3e2c02
              Total devices 1 FS bytes used 102.85GiB
              devid    1 size 931.51GiB used 931.51GiB path /dev/sdb1

Btrfs v3.12
      so a simple

Code:
      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo mkdir /mnt/btrfs

vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo mount -t btrfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/btrfs
      and all files are hear

Code:
      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/mnt/btrfs$ ls -l
      total 4                                                                                                                                 
      drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root   10 Jan 29 16:48 ext2_saved                                                                                    
      drwxr-xr-x 1 vinny vinny 120 Oct 13 23:17 kubuntu [COLOR=#ff0000]<----------------- this was the origanal location of my ~/ directories and all data is intact.  [/COLOR]                                                                                     
      drwx------ 1 root  root    0 Oct  2 16:55 lost+found
      however I do not think their are any subvolume's yet ,,,,,,,,,,the ext2_saved contains a 931GB image ,,,,, whitch is strange as df shows 104GB used and 552GB free ?

Code:
      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/mnt/btrfs/ext2_saved$ ls -l --block-size=M
      total 105180M
      -r-------- 1 root root 953868M Dec 31  1969 image

vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/mnt/btrfs/ext2_saved$ df -h
      Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
      /dev/sda3        52G   30G   20G  60% /
      none            4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
      udev            7.8G   12K  7.8G   1% /dev
      tmpfs           1.6G  1.3M  1.6G   1% /run
      none            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
      none            7.9G  2.4M  7.9G   1% /run/shm
      none            100M   20K  100M   1% /run/user
      /dev/sda1       296G   93G  189G  33% /media/vinny/Ubuntu
      /dev/sdb1       932G  104G  552G  16% /mnt/btrfs
      ?snapshot maybe ,,,,, so I'm not sure about the "You can mount the snapshot separately by using the option subvol=ext4_saved. So an fstab entry to mount the subvolume to /mnt/data_snapshot that might look like:" unless your saying you can mount a snapshot as a subvolume ? yes/no ?

so for now I will just try to create a @data subvolume then wait for further direction from you @oshunluvr as to the correct way to move the data from /sdb1/kubuntu to @data/kubuntu and mount the @data in fstab ........... ?? or should that be just mount /devsdb1 and @data will show their ,,,,,,,I want access to the hole disk (O ya it's dynamically expandable so @data should suffice ,,, right )

time to quit staring at the screen ...............LOL

VINNY

OOPS you did explain that but witch way is best ,,,move /sdb1/kubuntu into @data and delete the ext2_saved and just mount /sdb1 with the subvol=@data ,,,,,, or what
      Last edited by vinnywright; Jan 29, 2015, 06:28 PM.
      16GB RAM

Comment

OK after a rest and some food + a bit more thought ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think I am over complicating this hole thing in my tiny pee brain .

if my thinking is on the right path I really do not need to do anything but add it(/sdb1) to my fstab , like so
        Code:
        /dev/sdb1    /mnt/btrfs    btrfs     rw,relatime,space_cache,compress     0    0
        and I'm good ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the ext2_saved snapshot can go (why do I nead a snapshot of data thats backed up to the /sda1)

and any installs I may want to do will install as @ and @home subvolumes anyway like this
        Code:
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/mnt/btrfs$ ls -l
        total 4
        drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root    0 Jan 29 19:57 @data
        drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root   10 Jan 29 16:48 ext2_saved
        drwxr-xr-x 1 vinny vinny 120 Oct 13 23:17 kubuntu
        drwx------ 1 root  root    0 Oct  2 16:55 lost+found
        contained and out of the way

let me know if I'm missing something ,,,,,,,,,,but this seems ok right ,,,,,,, or will /dev/null-ing the snapshot be bad ,,,,as in thrashing things ?

VINNY

more reading ,,,O my head is swimming ,,,,,,,think I'll go with compress=lzo in the fstab the btrfs.Wiki is saying it's faster ,,,,but a bit lower compression .
        Last edited by vinnywright; Jan 29, 2015, 08:38 PM.
        16GB RAM

Comment

Do this:

sudo btrfs subvolume list /mnt/btrfs

This will list all the subolumes.

If, in fact as I think, /mnt/btrfs/ext2_saved lists as a subvolume, you can remove it instantly with:

sudo btrfs subvolume delete /mnt/btrfs/ext2_saved

Leaving it will not thrash anything or cause any slow down of your system. What happens is; as the source volume the snapshot was taken of has files deleted or changed, they will not actually be deleted and changed files will have both a new and old copy. They will "move" into the snapshot folder (the actual data doesn't move and remains intact, the file system just lists the file in a different place). Eventually, the snapshot will "grow" to be the size of the original volume - assuming you eventually delete and/or edit every file in it. Also you can delete the lost and found folder - it's left over from the extN filesystem.

And a snapshot is a subvolume. Difference is It contains files from a pre-set location (what ever you snapshot-ed) rather than starting empty like a newly created subvolume is.

Let say you're about to install a new program to your Kubuntu that lives on a btrfs filesystem. This new program is one you're not sure about, so you make a snapshot of the root folder then do the install. Well you were right and the new program mucks up a bunch of stuff. You simply re-name the root folder, give the snapshot the name your root folder used to have, re-mount everything and you're back to the beginning.

One of the great but potentially confusing things about subvolumes is they can be mounted, thus protecting the root folder and other subvolumes from access.

Example;

Root filesystem is /dev/sdb1 and is mounted at /mnt/btrfs. This root filesystem contains four subvolumes: @, @home, ext2_saved, and kubuntu

Anyone with access to /mnt/btrfs can see all the files on all the 4 subvolumes. But lets say you don't want that. ext_2saved should be protected from everyone and the files in kubuntu belong only to vinny.

So instead of mounting /dev/sdb1 to /mnt/btrfs, you only mount /dev/sdb1 subvol=kubuntu to /home/vinny/data. Now, unless another user has sudo rights, they can't get to ext2_saved at all and Vinny's file are mounted in his home away from meddling fingers. Since you boot to /dev/sdb1 subvol=@ and /dev/sdb1 subvol=@home contains the home folders, they're mounted as / and /home just like you would any partition.

You want file security from your other users? Just make everyone's home an individual subvolume and mount it when they log in. Then as far as anyone can see, no one else has files on the system at all. Neato!
          Last edited by oshunluvr; Jan 29, 2015, 09:56 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Code:
            vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo btrfs subvolume list /mnt/btrfs
            ID 256 gen 23 top level 5 path ext2_saved
            ID 693 gen 25 top level 5 path @data
            if it "grows" as I assess/delete files in /sdb1/kubuntu it will eat up space will it not .......O wate I read that rong the files dont get moved or copyed just the info changes places ?......I can remove it safely or not ?

VINNY

WOW you added a lot to that post wile I was posting ..........trickery
            Last edited by vinnywright; Jan 29, 2015, 09:59 PM.
            16GB RAM

Comment

OK read it all this time ,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes that is cool .

what do you think of the fstab compress=lzo ?

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

I had not used lzo in the past because there was some problem with grub and an lzo compressed kernel it at boot time - years ago. I never bothered to change back to it. Everything seems fine now. "Compress" (zlib compression) does best compression at a slower speed, "Compress=lzo" is faster but not a good at compression. Both cause the filesystem to run faster except when writing when there's a very small hit.

I doubt I'll see a difference, but I'm changing to lzo now.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, if you change from non-compressed to compressed or change compression type. I think you have to run defrag for it to take effect on older files. Otherwise the change only happens to new files.

Also, regular "df" may not correctly report your volume sizes. Use "btrfs flesystem df /mnt/sdb1" to get a truer size.

Please Read Me

Comment

Reading some later notes: I found that adding

autodefrag,

to mount options is good too. Here's a list of options

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Mount_options

Please Read Me

Comment

humm could have sworen I read somewhere defrag was not a good idea yet.

more reading to do ........

but not tonight , we have somewhere to go

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

I read one post where the guy claimed after defragging, it slowed down. I don't see any difference here.

I suspect it's not really needed is most cases. You definitely don't want to do it on a drive containing a vm disk or a very large database. The filefrag utility does not work on btrfs so there's no real way to tell if your 'fragged or not.

Please Read Me

Comment

I looks like running the "balance" command might do the trick also - defrag a bit plus add or change the compression.

Please Read Me

Comment

I new I read this somewhere ,,,,,,,it's not good for snapshots as well

# btrfs filesystem defragment [-c] file_name ... Note
                            You can set up automatic defragmentation by specifying the autodefrag option when you mount the file system. However, automatic defragmentation is not recommended for large databases or for images of virtual machines.
                            Defragmenting a file or a subvolume that has a copy-on-write copy results breaks the link between the file and its copy. For example, if you defragment a subvolume that has a snapshot, the disk usage by the subvolume and its snapshot will increase because the snapshot is no longer a copy-on-write image of the subvolume.

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

at the beginning of this test/journey I sead it should round off with getting all the grub installs chain loading together ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and we finally got their

I can go one to the other (3) all day without ever booting ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                              X