Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

btrfs: re-sizing a partition with gparted - info, not question...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    That is indeed unusual and very interesting. However, that seems somewhat complicated for a default install. Imagine if a noob installed that? But the news is good. I hope/suspect we'll see more distros adopt btrfs to their installers as the benefits become more widely known.

Honestly though, I don't see the reasons for such a spread of the OS. Wouldn't it make snapshots more complicated? And why use XFS at all? Very odd in my view.
    I found SUSE's reason for using the mixed format:
    Matthias Eckermann, senior product manager at SUSE, explained ... that one of the key features in the new server release is the integration of the Btrfs filesystem for the operating system. SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 also includes the XFS filesystem for data. By using both Btrfs and XFS, Eckermann believes SUSE is solving a key enterprise challenge.
    "We want to give customers the ability to do a full system rollback," Eckermann said.

Eckermann explained that a full system rollback means that the administrator can roll back to a known good state for server configuration. The way it works is the server administrator takes an operating system snapshot and whenever the administrator wants they can roll back to a prior state. Btrfs provides both copy-on-write as well as snapshotting functionality that is now featured in SUSE Linux Enterprise 12.

The challenge with a copy-on-write filesystem is that it can lead to hard drive fragmentation; that's where the XFS filesystem support comes into play.
    "Our installer automatically proposes that users use XFS for any production data,
    " Eckermann said.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I missed the server release part. It makes more sense than for a client station.

BTW, Jerry. I hope to be in KC or STL around the final thaw. I might just get a rental car and drive up your way. Buy you lunch at your favorite diner?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        I missed the server release part. It makes more sense than for a client station.

BTW, Jerry. I hope to be in KC or STL around the final thaw. I might just get a rental car and drive up your way. Buy you lunch at your favorite diner?
        Awesome! (I'm always up for din-din! ) Panara's, Texas Roadhouse, Fameous Dave's (really good! - and your favorite bev ... mine's Dr Pepper! ) and several chicken and pizza joints. In the Southe Point area there are a ton of high quality eating places.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Since this thread is about Btrfs, in part, I thought it would be a good place to post this excellent video on using snapshots.

Comment

Working...
          X