This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SafePoints

I used to use Windows and it was common practice for me to create safe points on occasions to ensure that I could always reverse, if necessary.

Is this feature possible in KUBUNTU.

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Safe points?

Please Read Me

Comment

Do you want to create a snapshot of the system that you can roll back to if you mess stuff up?

I think lots of people (oshunluvr included if i'm not mistaken) use Btrfs for that. It's on my bucket list of things to try, sounds like it has some great features!
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Oh yeah - If you mean rollback, as Feathers stated the btrfs filesystem supports it, but not Ubuntu itself. I can highly recommend btrfs.

Please Read Me

Comment

Restore point ?

ubuntu restore point like windows: https://www.google.com/search?q=ubun...t+like+windows

Few hits:

- Is there a “restore point” in Linux (Debian/Ubuntu) like Windows?: http://superuser.com/questions/16371...u-like-windows
          - Create system restore point in Ubuntu via TimeShift: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...via-timeshift/
          A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
          Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

This is one of the reasons why I switched to btrfs.

How to work with snaphots in KUubuntu's layout

In order to work with snapshots of / or /home in the Ubuntu layout it is very convenient to mount the btrfs filesystem at a separate location, and work from the top of the btrfs tree, rather than from the mounted subvolumes.
            sudo mount /dev/sdX# /mnt
            Create snapshots

To create a snapshot use
            sudo btrfs subvolume snapshot /mnt/@ /mnt/@_snapshotthis will create a snapshot of the @ subvolume named @_snapshot located also in the top of the btrfs tree.

Rollback to a snapshot

To roll back to a snapshot, you simply need to change its name to the name that ubuntu mounts, using
            sudo mv /mnt/@ /mnt/@_badroot
            sudo mv /mnt/@_snapshot /mnt/@and reboot.

Delete a snapshot

To delete a snapshot use

sudo btrfs subvolume delete /mnt/@_badrootbtrfs snapshots are subvolumes in themselves, and self-contained, deleting the old @ subvolume like this is fine, provided we have a replacement.
            Snapshots are created instantly.

You can create a snapshot of both @ and @home before you do an update or major change. If, after the update things are not right you can revert to previous condition. While there are programs to do this automatically ("snapper, etc.) the manual process is so easy it is, IMO, much better to do it manually and control the disk space usage that way.
            NOTE: The btrfs-tools command ''set-default'' will break Ubuntu's layout. DO NOT use it. If you inadvertantly use it you can reverse it by using

sudo mount /dev/sdX# /mnt
            sudo btrfs subvolume set-default 5 /mnt
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X