This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No install for us btrfs users

I usually wait for a few weeks before installing the newest version release, but I had some hours free this afternoon waiting for paint to dry (no, really ) so I stuck my neck out...

Turns out the latest Ubiquity crashes if the root partition is btrfs, falsely believing the partition is full. From the bug reports it effects the alternate CD also. Sad thing is it get almost all the way done.

Oh, well - I guess I'll be waiting...

Please Read Me

Re: No install for us btrfs users

Originally posted by oshunluvr
    Turns out the latest Ubiquity crashes if the root partition is btrfs, falsely believing the partition is full.
    Sounds like a regression. When I installed Ubuntu Oneiric beta 2 on my Mini, Ubiquity allowed me to create / as btrfs. But the machine was much slower than with EXT4, which I switched back to.

Comment

Yeah, I thought so too. I never ran 10.10 because I couldn't get Ubiquity to recognize my drives properly. I wasn't using btrfs then though, it just wouldn't correctly "order" my drives.

This bug is well documented, but if they don't fix it I might be waiting for 12.04.

Please Read Me

Comment

I wonder if you could install 11.04 on a btrfs filesystem, and then just push the upgrade button?

Comment

Actually Don thought about that last night. I might just try it.

Please Read Me

Comment

thanks for the warning i was just about to set one of my "junkers' up to try out btrfs / partiton. i did an install the other day and notied it listed as an option.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Dibl and I have being using the format for about a year with no issues (knocking...) so far.

There's still no file system check, so I backup daily.

It's waaayy easy to use compared to software RAID below another file system, which is what I was using before. It really shines in a multi-drive setup.

One example: I purchased a DVR without a hard drive and since I had tons of space in my desktop - 4x500GB drives - I just pulled one of those for the DVR. I was able to remove one btrfs partition from my Kubuntu install while I was using it. Friggin' amazing.

However, another btrfs RAID setup on the same set of disks would not allow the same procedure. So things aren't perfect yet. It's an active project so I expect the bugs will disappear soon enough.

Another place I use it is on my server. I bought 2x2TB drives to add to the 2x1TB drives already on it. At first, I used both entire drives to create a single 4TB device, and that worked fine.

Later, I wanted to add in some space from the other 2 drives, but btrfs doesn't handle vastly different sizes of partitions well in a RAID setup. It tends to shrink the larger devices to the size of the smallest. That was easy to work around though - I created partitions of equal sizes on all four drives and connected them using btrfs RAID. 4x950GB made a nice fat 3.7TB movie partition and left space for two other large 2 partition setups as well. I don't make back ups of my movies (the DVD's are in the drawer) so the huge partition isn't an issue. The other partitions hold family photos and documents and music and those I back up.

I could have created 995GB partitions on all 4 drives and have a single 6x995GB partition and still had room to install the OS.

Please Read Me

Comment

My new laptop has a 120GB SSD, I used the desktop CD to install with a 200MB Ext4 /boot partition and the rest as a BtrFS formated root (/)

No problems
                Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/864595

Seems it fails unless the btrfs partition is larger than 40GBish, which is a ridiculous size as the install only needs 4GB. I attempted on a 15GB btrfs RAID.

My current setup wouldn't easily allow re-paritioning all over the place, so I'll wait for the fix or for 12.04. But thanks for the updated info!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X