This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Issues with Bumblebee/Optimus

Anybody here use bumblebee successfully?

Had a lot of troubleshooting and just about had it but stumped at one part and can't figure out what the issue is as the error doesn't say much other than:

Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG]

That's it. Nothing after or before to indicate anything?

This in SYSLOG:

Dec 8 20:30:13 Bobcat bumblebeed[929]: [ 589.566896] [ERROR][XORG] (EE)
    Dec 8 20:30:13 Bobcat bumblebeed[929]: [ 589.566910] [ERROR][XORG] (EE)
    Dec 8 20:30:13 Bobcat bumblebeed[929]: [ 589.566914] [ERROR][XORG] (EE)
    Dec 8 20:30:13 Bobcat bumblebeed[929]: [ 589.566916] [ERROR][XORG] (EE)
    Dec 8 20:30:13 Bobcat bumblebeed[929]: [ 589.566919] [ERROR][XORG] (EE)
    Dec 8 20:30:13 Bobcat bumblebeed[929]: [ 589.566921] [ERROR]X did not start properly
    Last edited by MoonRise; Dec 08, 2016, 07:32 PM.

I am using it here in 16.04 successfully. I followed the instructions here to the letter, using the process for the -370 driver, but using the now-stock -367 driver, editing the config files appropriately. The 367 driver would not run with the stock bumblebee in Xenial, so the ore up to date ppa version is needed.

I'm running a Dell e6420 laptop with an Nvidia nvs-4200 gpu

Comment

I have a secondary graphics card in this laptop which cannot be set to be the prime card and four years ago I used Bumblebee and optirun to use my graphical apps. When I installed KDE Neon I decided to give nvidia-370 and nividia-prime a spin. Glad I did. It treats my GForce GT 650M graphics chip as the primary and everything is run the 650M.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        I am using it here in 16.04 successfully. I followed the instructions here to the letter, using the process for the -370 driver, but using the now-stock -367 driver, editing the config files appropriately. The 367 driver would not run with the stock bumblebee in Xenial, so the ore up to date ppa version is needed.

I'm running a Dell e6420 laptop with an Nvidia nvs-4200 gpu
        Instructions where? Sorry, I'm being slow today...

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          I have a secondary graphics card in this laptop which cannot be set to be the prime card and four years ago I used Bumblebee and optirun to use my graphical apps. When I installed KDE Neon I decided to give nvidia-370 and nividia-prime a spin. Glad I did. It treats my GForce GT 650M graphics chip as the primary and everything is run the 650M.
          So you just installed those two? Did it remove the "Intel" main? (I'm assuming it is Intel as the primary as it is here)

Comment

Oops dunno what happened there...
            http://www.webupd8.org/2016/08/how-t...bumblebee.html

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Just to note that if you want you can just install nvidia-prime and then choose which gpu you want to use then logging off and back in, via nvidia-settings or from the command line via prime-select.

Bumblebee allows you to use the nvidia gpu for specific applications. Some report some performance loss running games with it which I myself see on my meager graphics but not enough for the games I usually play. But my laptop gets less hot with it.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                lucky my current laptop has a dGPU from AMD that renders thru the intel cpus gpu and can not be used independly of the intel card ..

@moonrise. i have to have both the intel and amd driver for both my cards to work correctly . i think it will ultimately depend on how its wired . if its like GG's then you should be ok with the one if you switch primary card but if its like mine you need both drivers.
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Well, I really didn't get far. I installed nvidia-primus and tried to do prime-select but got the below. Trying to determine what that issue is at the moment.

Info: the current GL alternatives in use are: ['mesa', 'mesa']
                  Info: the current EGL alternatives in use are: ['mesa-egl', None]
                  Error: the installed packages do not support PRIME
                  Error: intel mode can't be enabled

Comment

Well, found multiple issues but it seems "fixed".

When I initially installed Bumblebee it installed Nvidia-304. I changed that to the newest recommended. After reboot I went through the Nvidia Setting program and changed that to Nvidia. Caused several crashes trying to log out so I had to do a reboot from Konsole. Once back it it works and all is going through the Nvidia GPU. So, happy at the moment as the frame rates are where I thought they should be. Will marked solved but not really on the bumblebee part. It may work now, but this path is OK.

Comment

Minecraft hated that set-up. Complained of GL issues. Reverted back to Intel and it is happy. Still trying to get Optirun to work but keeps complaining about "[ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG]".

Comment

I'm using nvidia-367. What is the most current? Just asking for "stability" reasons. I'll probably be looking that up anyway.

EDIT: Is this the correct PPA? https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa
                        Last edited by MoonRise; Dec 09, 2016, 03:33 PM.

Comment

My primary GPU is the Intel 3000. Here is what I installed:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	nvidia_apps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	643427
                          TO get them I installed the
                          LP-PPA-graphics-drivers/now
                          and
                          LP-PPA-graphics-drivers/xenial
                          repositories.
                          The nvidia-370 worked for me. Previous ones did not, which is why I installed the two repositories.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Installed 370, no go there too with Minecraft. Still get that GL error.

Comment

Here are my two GPU's
                              *-display
                              description: VGA compatible controller
                              product: GK107M [GeForce GT 650M]
                              vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                              physical id: 0
                              bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                              version: a1
                              width: 64 bits
                              clock: 33MHz
                              capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                              configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
                              resources: irq:32 memory:d2000000-d2ffffff memory:a0000000-afffffff memory:b0000000-b1ffffff ioport:4000(size=128) memory:b2000000-b207ffff

*-display
                              description: VGA compatible controller
                              product: 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
                              vendor: Intel Corporation
                              physical id: 2
                              bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
                              version: 09
                              width: 64 bits
                              clock: 33MHz
                              capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                              configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
                              resources: irq:28 memory:d3000000-d33fffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:5000(size=64)

Comment

Working...
                              X