This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDCP 2.2 and Linux

The content providers are on the warpath again with HDCP 2.2 - an encryption system designed to prevent the copying of 4K video streams.

Fine, I don't care about the copy issue. I pay for my stuff, and I'll give the devil his due.

My question has to do with my Linux media PC, and my TV / monitor.

I want to upgrade my 1080p flatscreen TV with a newer 4K model sometime in the near future. As I begin to look, I see that special cables and special encoding is needed to transmit 4K between devices.

Does anyone know if I can make this work on my Linux box?

I have a reasonably recent dedicated media PC that sits under our flatscreen TV in the livingroom, with an Nvidia card. The video card uses HDMI to send the signal to my older Onkyo TX-SR 875 receiver under the TV, and from there via HDMI out on the Onkyo to my TV, essentially just using the TV as a monitor. Works fine.

Can I make a similar setup work with 4K? What do I need? Is it supported in Linux?

Mostly we use Netflix that I access through the Chrome browser. While I have a Blu-Ray player in the media PC, I seldom, if ever, use it.

Anyone have any information, or know where I might begin to look?

Thanks.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

I can't answer your question specifically as I'm not using 4k yet. However, there is a company you should know about: HDFury

I have an old (12 years) Plasma display that still has a great picture, but due to it's age I can hardly use it. Not because there's anything wrong with it, but because all the new HDCP and HDMI protocols won't display on it. I purchased a device from HDFury called the "Integral" and it allows me to use my modern Tivo and Roku box on it, keeping it alive for a few more years.

I don't know if one of the devices they sell might help you or not but they also have a forum and there's a bunch of knowledgeable people there.

Please Read Me

Comment

So, in other words, this is not going to affect just 4K, but pretty much everything?

Honestly, I had decided to just stick with 1080p as I am so fed up with all the hoops that the content providers want the consumer to jump through. Are you now suggesting that I won't be safe even with that? I do not plan to buy all new equipment just for the privilege of using 4K.

Frank.

Comment

There are several different protocols out there, that's for sure. I'm not any sort of expert on this - I just want my stuff to work. My old 50" monitor has HDMI 1.0 and only a single port at that. Also, since it's a monitor and not a TV there's no sound. I really had no choice but to buy a device like the Integral, which solves all my issues at once, or buy a new TV. Like you point out - the industry is forcing consumers to constantly upgrade or risk being unable to use their equipment. I have been in the market for a new TV for awhile but I have higher fiscal priorities right now.

The real threat of obsolescence doesn't come from resolution, it's copy protection. Any non-HDCP device will no longer play copyrighted content.

Back to your question: If you want 4K from your computer, it's just a resolution. As long as your video card can drive 3840x2160 your PC can display it. As far as Netflix goes, as long as your 4K TV and whatever video source you're using to display it is HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 compliant you should be fine (at least for now). Sticking solely with 1080p will avoid this problem, but will also restrict you to regular HD resolution.

Bottom line is, if you really want 4K, you will have to upgrade everything. My opinion: since there still is little content in 4K and the requirements are high (Netflix has roughly only 20 titles in 4K and requires 25MBS stable internet connection), unless you need a new TV now I would wait. They're bound to get cheaper and the bugs will be resolved (hopefully).

The sad reality is although the movie industry claims this is to protect their content from piracy. it really only forces honest consumers into replacing equipment that's still functional - my monitor is a perfect example. It actually does nothing to slow down the pirates. For example, that $249 device I own would allow me to stream video and audio output into a PC capture card at 4K without any copy protection - something I'm not interested in doing. If you want proof of this you need only go to a torrent search website and see all the 4K movies that are available for download.

[soapbox]
        The larger issue is the movie and TV industry are refusing to move into the new world. The music industry did the same thing for a long time before it became apparent they were losing the battle against pirates. Although I understand their issue, it's hard to feel sorry for a business that earns billions of dollars a year and pours hundreds of millions into wasteful spending. I've been on the sets of movie productions and TV shows and the phrase "blowing through cash" is an understatement. I was an extra on a Spielberg movie once. Got paid only $50 but had a steak and lobster dinner at the food service table that probably cost more than that. They, just like the music industry, will eventually have no choice but to modernize and find a new way to monetize their products. Until then, only the consumers suffer.
        [/soapbox]

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you for the information. I've bookmarked the link to HDFury. However, it discourages me enough to just put the whole works on hold for the indefinite future. I'm just not willing to replace the whole works right now, as the equipment I have still has a lot of life left in it yet. As you say, not enough content yet anyway. And, I agree, that this has to sort itself out. The whole reason for HDCP 2.2 is the previous versions were broken. This one will be too. It is a cat and mouse game. The content providers just don't understand.

Comment

Working...
          X