Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a GPLed program's graphics be released under a different license?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a GPLed program's graphics be released under a different license?

I'm planning on writing a remake of the old DOS game "Pharaoh's Tomb" with Allegro, both as a way of improving my C++ skills, and so that the game can be played on modern systems, without emulators like dosbox.

I'm planning on releasing the code under the GPL, but I want to use the original graphics (I'll be asking the creators about it), so that people can play Pharaoh's Tomb just as it looked in the early '90s. But I obviously don't own the copyright to the graphics, so what I was thinking about doing was to release them under a sort of non-redistribution license, saying that you can't use the images for any purpose other than as graphics for Pharaoh's Tomb.

So my question is, does the GPL allow for releasing graphics under a different license than the code?

Re: Can a GPLed program's graphics be released under a different license?

Originally posted by mkeller
    So my question is, does the GPL allow for releasing graphics under a different license than the code?
    From my understanding (which is rather limited - I am said to be human, not jurist :P): NO ...

But maybe you should ask the "Guards of the GPL" themselves http://www.fsf.org/licensing

Comment

Re: Can a GPLed program's graphics be released under a different license?

Thanks, Rider, I emailed them. I'll let y'all know the official ruling when I get a reply.

Comment

Working...
      X