Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about creating a Discord room? Or Telegram Group?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about creating a Discord room? Or Telegram Group?

Okay well, as the title suggests, I am starting to think maybe we should pursue other avenues to reach out to people under the Kubuntu umbrella. I am 50 years old (WOW how time flies!!), and even in my case I spend most of my online social time regarding all things KDE, Kubuntu, and Linux, on Discord, or Telegram. The reason for this is quite simple - Most users are there and it is a more modern medium than a forum. Now please don't take this the wrong way, as the KFN forums have been a great source of information sharing, laughter, and in general an indispensable part of my Linux Journey.

However times change, and new users coming to Linux are certainly probably not spending a lot of time on bulletin boards unless it is to troubleshoot a problem that shows up in a search somewhere. But for social interaction, general discussions, and easier media sharing, these newer Technologies have emerged and are not going anywhere. I am not saying that one should replace the other, but perhaps supplement each other in a nice way.

One successful method of integrating these two similar yet very different platforms has been for the group to set up a Patreon account, and anyone donating even a dollar would get access to a Discord room or a telegram group. In all honesty, my time here has come and went in spurts, because I enjoy the more real-time interaction and the ability to speak with people (even using a microphone) when it is just easier to do so than typing out long spools of text. So I am curious what you guys think? Or if this has even been considered in the past?

Since we are the social face of Kubuntu, even if in an unofficial manner, I'd like to think the time is right to explore doing such a thing. I would be willing to help with whatever it took to do so. In this way, we can help put ourselves in the best possible position to be attracting new Linux users, KDE fans, and Kubuntu aficionados. And in doing so make them feel at home using technologies that are more inline with how people interact around common themes these days. Thoughts, criticisms, shrugged-shoulders, and other stuff welcome.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Originally posted by dequire View Post
    Most users are there and it is a more modern medium than a forum.
    I don't know anything about Discord. I guess Telegram is like WhatsApp. While they maybe more modern, I don't know how well-suited they, and Facebook and Twitter, are for technical support.

For asking for technical support (and, when possible, giving it), I prefer forums, Reddit, and Ask Ubuntu.

I fully agree with using social media, including YouTube, for promoting Kubuntu but then there has to be technical support to retain users of Kubuntu.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I'll vote "no" on this. Forums suit my usage needs much better than what I see happening on "social media". A forum is, generally, specific to a topic, unlike social media, even with thread drift in forums . I'm more likely to find fellow software users and get specific answers to questions in a forum.
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I appreciate the feedback. However, let's not combine Discord with Twitter and Facebook. Discord is nothing like those at all. It is more real-time and discussion (and specific topic) -oriented. Discord is basically a chat service that allows the creation of "rooms" that drill down into sub-topics. It is more social, but that's the point. It would not, and could not, replace the forums. What I think it would do, is attract more people here via a gateway that many people are using. My advice would be to install Discord, find a couple of topics that interest you, and check it out. THEN come back and we'll talk

Sometimes you just want to hang out with fellow users and fans in a less formal way. And, as the saying goes, you need to use the latest tech honey if you want to attract more flies. Or something like that.
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

There is a Kubuntu IRC room and you can (well, I do) access it with matrix via the Riot.im program. It could actually be linked more formally if Kubuntu team wanted it and then you would be able to voice chat that way with those that connected via matrix. There is already a kde room on matrix and various linux things whilst I haven't found anything on Discord. Plus, i've found the discord client to be awful on linux with some dreadful input lag when typing.

Forums are better for technical support because they are indexed on search engines.

Comment

I think Kubuntu has a telegram presence, I would be surprised if there wasn't a discord presence somewhere already.
            I do believe that irc shares with telegram, or it used to.

My take on what is needed for support purposes is simple. If there are people on a platform that use Kubuntu, and people on that platform want to run and manage a group on it, then they should go for it. It does not mean everyone who helps out or tries to give support has to use all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              My take on what is needed for support purposes is simple. If there are people on a platform that use Kubuntu, and people on that platform want to run and manage a group on it, then they should go for it. It does not mean everyone who helps out or tries to give support has to use all of them.
              That's what I was trying to say really..."Is it a good idea" vs. "would you use it" are two mutually exclusive things.

My point is that honestly, if I'm a < 30 year old I'm likely to find other avenues for information - right or wrong, that's just the way it is. Same with IRC. Besides, while the support here is ultimately invaluable and should ever go away (I hope), to my knowledge that's not the only reason for this site to exist. At least the categories here would seem to make that case.
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Well, I don't know Discord but I did notice you were starting to look a bit older...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Well, I don't know Discord but I did notice you were starting to look a bit older...

lol yea. Time waits for no one it appears!
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                  X