Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu forums login link - highly obscure!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu forums login link - highly obscure!!!

I do not come to the forum even weekly, although I very highly appreciate its existence. When I do come here I invariably have to spend MINUTES trying to find the bloody login link.

WHY is it not front and center? What principle of good interface design leads someone to put it way off on the window edge, in low-intensity font, and very small?

I spend a lot of my time designing and constructing webpage interfaces. The very first thing one must do is make the most frequent visitor actions easy, intuitive, and requiring no thought. This is utterly basic, and this principle was not followed here.

Really. This is just indefensible. Please, can this be fixed?
    Last edited by tomcloyd; Dec 19, 2021, 02:58 PM.

The placement of the Login location is coded by vBulletin; it isn't something we - KFN - control.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Arrgh....my worst fears, realized! Ha. Well, we do live in an imperfect world, it continues to appear.

Thanks for your lightening-fast response.

Your ID panel (or whatever it's called) says you are "ascendant". To what? Kubuntu Sainthood? You are definitely deserving, given your long years of service. Thank you!

Comment

The KFN user Titles are made up of course. Made up by me specifically. They mean nothing, of course, unless one wants to ascribe meaning to them.

Comment

Ah...and so you trenchantly dive into the heart of the matter: what does anything really mean, anyway?

I'll get back to you about this after breakfast (it's almost 3PM here so I need to hurry). Or maybe later...

Comment

My user title is "Observer", I don't know whether I am being labelled as a voyeur...

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
              My user title is "Observer", I don't know whether I am being labelled as a voyeur...
              No it isn’t. Your User Title is Veteran Member. Where are you seeing Observer?

Comment

Under my name. It's veteran member now but it was observer last night. Seeing others with that rank.
                Attached Files

Comment

Interesting. User Title Observer is for Registered Users who haven't made any posts. There must have been a temporary system glitch, or some issue with php/mysql would be my quess.

Comment

I cleared my cookies yesterday so had to login today. Looked up and to the right and there it is. I'm just saying.

Comment

But this is what I see ‘in the post you just made’:
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        But this is what I see ‘in the post you just made’:
                        Yea that's me. I'm over 65 so that makes me a senior but otherwise I have no idea what "Senior Member" means.

Comment

Fred is now a Senior Member, Grey Geek is still an observer and there are other observer titles around. I looked with a different browser (Viper) with no cookies and not logged in, the same. Maybe it fixes when people post.

Comment

Weren't those terms some Steve Riley (aka the Pan-Galactic Quordlepleen) whimsy from a decade ago?
                            Regards, John Little

Comment

Those 'ranks' are based on post activity, changing when you reach certain threshholds
                              If you post enough, you can even create a custom one for yourself

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                              Weren't those terms some Steve Riley (aka the Pan-Galactic Quordlepleen) whimsy from a decade ago?
                              Yes, we created some custom level names, but most iirc are stock Vbulletin.

Comment

Working...
                              X