This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change over questions/issues with the forum

I thought a thread to discuss the software change over was a good idea. Obviously, we had to upgrade and the new look is nice.

So far for me:

A. I'd prefer a dark theme.
    B. I don't like the "Notifications Messages Log In" bar to be above the banner instead of within the banner - I'd prefer the same level as "FORUMS..." but on the far right.
    C. Forum does not widen to fill the browser window. @here I have about the middle half the browser window displaying the forum with very large blank gaps on both sides.
    D. I cannot find a way to view only "Unread" posts. My prior workflow was to click on the Unread posts button to see what was new in all topics.

I'm assuming some of my gripes as solvable with configuration changes - either as the user level or forum level. I'm just too new to the version of VB to know. I'd love some answers if anyone has any,

Please Read Me

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    I thought a thread to discuss the software change over was a good idea. Obviously, we had to upgrade and the new look is nice.

So far for me:

A. I'd prefer a dark theme.
    Bottom left of page. Name of existing Theme shows. Click and select another. There are some Dark Themes.
    B. I don't like the "Notifications Messages Log In" bar to be above the banner instead of within the banner - I'd prefer the same level as "FORUMS..." but on the far right.
    Likely controlled by CSS? May be changeable, but I don't know, or know how.
    C. Forum does not widen to fill the browser window. @here I have about the middle half the browser window displaying the forum with very large blank gaps on both sides.
    Likely controlled by CSS? Maybe changeable, but I don't know, or know how.
    D. I cannot find a way to view only "Unread" posts. My prior workflow was to click on the Unread posts button to see what was new in all topics.
    Clicking on New Topics accomplishes this. New Topics is synonymous with Unread Posts.
    I'm assuming some of my gripes as solvable with configuration changes - either as the user level or forum level. I'm just too new to the version of VB to know. I'd love some answers if anyone has any,
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

These are all theming bits, though the notification center stuff I am not sure of. I will guess it also should be fixable

I agree on the width, as well as different colors. These should be fairly easily done. , finding what to edit is the 'hard' part. I am sort of looking at it when I have moments.

New topics just takes you to the first post in a new thread. Even if there is a new post.
      The Unread Post thing is annoying, yes. Some research seems to indicate that VBulletin devs are kinda like Gnome devs on the topic. Quite a LOT of support posts on the topic, but little tjhat seems to work - it is iirc just a matter of finding a usable JSON string that shows these - see the url to the "Today's Posts". Supposedly. Maybe.

I would also like to increase the post/editor font size a tick, or maybe change the actual font style, maybe? I don't see a way yet to allow me to se this as a user setting.
      Last edited by claydoh; Oct 26, 2021, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Ditto! If missing to read forum for a couple of days, its very hard to access the unread messages .

Comment

kubuntuforums.net/ search?searchJSON=%7B%22view%22%3A%22topic%22%2C%2 2unread_only%22%3A1%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22lastconte nt%22%3A%22desc%22%7D%2C%22exclude_type%22%3A%5B%2 2vBForum_PrivateMessage%22%5D%7D

This one might work - wtf do they even uses paces?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Bottom left of page. Name of existing Theme shows. Click and select another. There are some Dark Themes.
            Ahh, I had found that button quite awhile back but only had Light Blue and Cool Blue and one other theme. I was probably not logged in.

There's actually only one dark theme - "Dark" and it would be more aptly named "Black". I'll probably have to look into style sheets to see what I might be able to add.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              - wtf do they even uses paces?
              Well at least they put them in the right place...

Please Read Me

Comment

I must be easy to please. I LOVE the new look and how the forum works. Thanks guys!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I just need a quick thing for "What's New" -- to include a running list of, well, latest posts. There is Today's posts and Latest Activity. I may have to sort through that more closely. Everything seems to be rendering OK on my (old 2008 Samsung) monitor.
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

OK, I set the max/min width to 100%. It was surprisingly easy. The width max and min can be set as a percentage (of the browser window) or in pixels.

I am considering going back to pixels, but using a wider amount than the default, which was 1200/320.

Please Read Me

Comment

Also, I have found several places to get "styles" but most are not free.

Please Read Me

Comment

It should not be too hard to change the colors, it should all be css. I did this all those years ago for the vb4 theme, just adjusting a few colors from a stock theme I believe.
                        I might look at this over the weekend, if I can get free, and organized lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          I see only "- Light Blue", "-Cool Blue", "--Cool Blue Wide" , and "Default vB5 Style".

Of these, only the default style is wide, now. I think at one point earlier today "cool blue wide" was wide, but it's not now.
                          Regards, John Little

Comment

(Re)fixed. Cool Blue is 'narrow' (default) and Cool Blue Wide is 'wide' (full screen). It shouldn't change. Let me know if it does.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My newest (and greatest so far) gripe: The "insert image" dialog

It is really cumbersome and proper usage is not obvious, at least the way I am trying to do it.
                              Procedure: Typing a post, want to insert a screenshot, click the picture icon in the advanced editor bar, this pops up:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211110_071935.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	658018
                              Wow, talk about complicated.

Once you figure out you can just click the "Upload" tab, you get this dialog:

Name:	Screenshot_20211110_072025.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	658019
                              However, if you choose a file and click "OK" you get "Image source URL missing" error. A less-than-obvious message IMO.
                              What URL? The picture is here on my PC. isn't it? Why would I need a URL when I'm uploading a screenshot from my PC?
                              Ooooo, I have to press "Send to the Server". What server? My server? I just want to post it, not "server" it.

And one final way to make it worse, when you finally click on "Send it to the Server" you get this again:

Name:	Screenshot_20211110_072108.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	658020
                              Wait, did it work? What's this window back for? AAAnnnnddd, click on OK yet again. Close scene - it's a wrap.

Could it be more onerous and difficult? Six clicks to post a single screenshot, SIX! BTW, not including the actual dialog to select the picture, just the menu.
                              I have never in my life seen such an esoteric and onerous set of menus for what should be a simple task.
                              Posting a screenshot in almost every other environment I work in is a one-click file dialog pop-up or drag-n-drop.
                              I haven't done a study, but I bet +90% of pics on all forums are screenshots. The days of needing an upload service are virtually over.

I don't suppose there's an alternative dialog or way to do it that "just works" is there?
                              Or maybe a way to make this one less obscure, complex, needlessly verbose, and tasking?

It's too bad programmers haven't learned to look at things from a users perspective instead of "how many gadgets and options can I stick in here?" view of things.
                              One shouldn't need an instruction manual to do something this common and simple.

Optimally, a button that opens the "Choose an image file" dialog, and double-clicking on a local file uploads the pic. Or a single-click and OK. No more than that.
                              If I pick the wrong image, my bad, I can delete it and start over.

Is there any actual purpose to having a second URL function? Doesn't that exist when you use the "Link" function?

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X