This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Neon section? Any interest?

Full disclosure: I have been using Kubuntu daily since 9.04. Over the last year or so I have become increasingly disappointed in the releases* and have been wanting to move away from Canonical for even longer. However, there aren't many "easy" choices. I don't have the time right now to learn a whole new base structure (like Arch), I'm not willing to rely on a single developer model (like KaOS), I prefer debian packaging (so no Fedora or Suse), and I want a ton of packages. Bottom line: I'm stuck.

And then along comes KDE Neon and I have a choice. Still a solid Ubuntu base but not the Canonical infrastructure or influence. J. Riddell and Blue systems are involved. Latest releases to KDE and QT available months before the Kubuntu cycle.

I'm installing Neon this weekend. I notice from other posts that I'm not the only one going this direction.

This is the best forum out there and Neon isn't so far from Kubuntu. It seems there are large areas of overlap. So I was thinking a Sub-board for Neon just like each Kubuntu release gets would be a good idea. Then we can keep everyone "in the fold" but have a place for Neon specific issues.

Any thoughts?

I didn't want my limited forum time divided and this seems like a workable solution. Comments please...

* My upgrade cycle this last year:
    Upgraded to 15.04 to get Plasma 5 but it was always full of minor bugs.
    15.10 was so bad I stayed with 15.04 for six months longer than the support so I could jump to 16.04.
    16.04 is way better than 15.10 but more buggy than 15.04 was and there are new bigger issues I'm dealing with.
    Neon needs it's own subsection, but not the others at this time.
    21.43%
    A subsection for All Non-Kubuntu KDE based distros is a great idea.
    21.43%
    Lets's get two new subsections: One for Neon, one for others.
    50.00%
    Stop wasting my time. Get your own forum.
    7.14%
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 29, 2016, 08:23 AM.

Please Read Me

If there are sections here for Gnome/Xubuntu, then I don't see why not?
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I've been wanting to suggest this idea for quite a while now. Count me in.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Thinking out loud, so please feel free to disregard but perhaps the thing to do would be to have a section for KDE installations that are Not Kubuntu. I personally run Debian Unstable and would kinda like a place to post ignorant stuff that hasn't made it into backport PPAs yet
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Oshunluvr, when did you take up mind reading? You read mine perfectly. I suspect the declining quality you, I and others observe are probably because the heart and soul of the old Kubuntu dev team is now working on Neon.

I installed Neon as a persistent LiveUSB and have been playing with it. I am impressed. It is fast. It is stable. However, at has only 5/8 the number of apps that Kubuntu has and the widgets arn't as well populated. As fast as it is being developed, and with their very logical dev model and tools, I don't expect those limitations to remain for long.

I agree. This is the best forum and there should be a Neon section, since both Kubuntu and Neon are Pure KDE based. That was and is the only thing that drew me to Kubuntu in the first place: a pure KDE distro. Neon IS that.

Riddell and the gang should cut to the chase and declare Neon User Edition a bonifide, independent distro, distinct from Kubuntu, and they have the intention of continuing to support it until desktops and laptops cease to exist.

I am so close to jumping to it. The only thing holding me back is the possibility that their experimentation may come to an end, they merge with another distro (Kubuntu?) and close shop, leaving those running it high and dry. After all, it is a test bed, and the User Edition is that as well, just a more stable version.

So, how about it Jonothan, will you make Neon User Edition a bonifide distro, and call it that, one users can move to without fear of future evaporation?
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 22, 2016, 09:08 AM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
            Thinking out loud, so please feel free to disregard but perhaps the thing to do would be to have a section for KDE installations that are Not Kubuntu. I personally run Debian Unstable and would kinda like a place to post ignorant stuff that hasn't made it into backport PPAs yet
            I see no reason to object to this. My only counter thought would be if Neon held an overwhelming amount of attention, other distros might be drowned in the noise. We could always start with a single sub-board and later split it if it became necessary.

Please Read Me

Comment

Added a poll with options. Multiple selections are OK. Responses are public.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                I see no reason to object to this. My only counter thought would be if Neon held an overwhelming amount of attention, other distros might be drowned in the noise. We could always start with a single sub-board and later split it if it became necessary.
                Works for me. This is the best KDE forum on teh intrawebz.
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Thinking on it a minute, I don't know that I'd be totally on board with this if Neon chose a different base than Ubuntu Stable. But since it is, my only potential objection is removed.

One thought to kick off the discussion when the new board section opens - Since Riddell, Sitter, and Co. keep KDE packages new and fresh (and more importantly, successfully built!), maybe the Kubuntu Dev. team's job should be integrating Neon packages into non-LTS Ubuntu releases? After all, there is a lot of duplication of resources going on here. Maybe the Kubuntu Dev team should evolve into being responsible for the following:

• Integrating and testing Neon Plasma applications and frameworks into non-LTS Ubuntu releases
                  • Helping test, find, and fix bugs unique to running Plasma on Ubuntu, both for LTS and standard releases
                  • Compiling and testing KDE applications not currently available in Neon, and making available though official "Kubuntu Neon PPA'a", or pushing upstream
                  • Defining and making sure there are applications available for all traditionally-defined desktop and laptop use cases - having applications like KMyMoney, KDEnlive, digiKam, accessibility, etc.

I realize this would likely never happen, but I can dream, right?
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I'm also disappointed in Kubuntu after 14.04 LTS and am willing to run a separate drive for Neon.

I'll test this and report back about how it handles my older Dell latitude D820 system.

[EDIT], Nope, no 32 bit version available... Good Idea and I would support Neon if they support 32 bit. There is a large base of older systems which would welcome (opinion) a non-Cannonical option.
                    Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Jul 22, 2016, 12:59 PM.
                    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I understand the desire to have a 'friendly home' for discussions on and about KDE neon. But please keep in mind, KDE neon is not 'the KDE distro'; KDE neon is not 'quite a distro'; KDE neon is not 'quite a rolling release.' KDE neon is 'a rapidly updated software repository using a Ubuntu base.'

From the KDE neon FAQ:

Why Ubuntu?

We use Ubuntu as a base for KDE neon because the KDE neon team feels it offers the best technology as a stable release and the best third party support. The KDE neon team is familiar with Ubuntu having worked with it for over a decade. We also feel that Ubuntu users will miss out if they do not have up to date KDE software. It is otherwise unrelated to the Ubuntu project or Canonical.

All that being said, if our host, Open Source, has no objection to a separate discussion forum for KDE neon (in KFN), I'll be happy to establish one.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

As a all my running systems are Neon, my vote is in

Comment

Working on kubuntu here, but testing Neon in VMs etc as it goes and helping a bit.

So I think it would be odd not to have something Neon focused here.
                          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                            As a all my running systems are Neon, my vote is in
                            I'll vote for Steve in absentia, +! Do it!
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I too, have been using Neon almost exclusively while still coming to this forum
                              So yes, a sub forum will be ideal.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X