Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in an ownCloud subforum here?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work for an organization that is diving into enterprise Cloud processing in a very big way. I understand how it may be a compelling solution, but for personal computing when someone says "cloud" I run - not walk - in the other direction. To me, other than being a little more sophisticated, and pushing service packages, the cloud is no different from any other data center. When using someone else's data center, there is an increased risk for loss or obfuscation of data. If it's mine, it stays with me.

I'm no enterprise, so I don't have a lot of data. It's very portable and very easy to keep close. Yes, I do back up my data.

The most secure computer is the one that has no data, is not ever turned on, and is encased in concrete at the bottom of the ocean. Next less secure, is a computer that is used but not connected to any network. Then you get into network/internet connected computers and the risk goes up exponentially. Risk goes up, but with good practices and good protection, that risk is mitigated. Put your data on someone else's server, and your risk increases a lot - especially the free solutions. The cloud service owner has little incentive to protect except in a collateral way to the extent that the owner secures in general, and even less to compensate for individual loss at a reasonable rate.

So, I'll keep my data close. Enjoy exploring!!
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
      When using someone else's data center, there is an increased risk for loss or obfuscation of data. If it's mine, it stays with me.
      I'm no enterprise, so I don't have a lot of data. It's very portable and very easy to keep close. Yes, I do back up my data.
      So, I'll keep my data close. Enjoy exploring!!
      You know that ownCloud itself is just software, right? Although you could rent some space on a server rack, you can also host it at home on your own server, which is what we're talking about here. That way, you have total control and only you are responsible for the security of the server.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but it's not really relevant to the ownCloud subforum (also, the "secure" computers in your example aren't very useful - for most Linux users, ownCloud represents a reasonable increase in utility for the security tradeoff, especially if you see mass data breaches at large providers as more likely than targeted personal attacks).
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Funny thing, I haven't visited this forum in months (?) and now yesterday I installed OwnCloud on a VPS (Linux) and today I want to check some link or tool that someone had provided to me in a thread, and the first thing I see is ownCloud ;-). Also their forum has such a strong spam protection that I can't even post anything there. The thing says that everything I write is spam. Some of you hold the same opinion or position I believe. I should be among friends :P. I've offered to obscure their posting links for them but meanwhile the forum is unusable . I would make it a Server forum though with a ownCloud subforum.

Comment

I don't currently use it... but have an interest... so wouldn't mind seeing some further discussion.

cheers,
          bill
          sigpic
          A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
          X