Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in an ownCloud subforum here?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any interest in an ownCloud subforum here?

I'm curious how many of our members might be using ownCloud. If you are (or even if you aren't but have an interest), would you like to see an ownCloud subforum here at KFN? While there is a dedicated ownCloud forum, I'm thinking it would be useful to have a place for us to talk amongst ourselves. Please answer the poll here. Thanks!
    Yes, I use ownCloud (or have an interest) and would participate in a subforum
    78.95%
    No, I have no interest
    21.05%

100% of voters are in favour. You can close the poll now
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

This cloud business is showing up on our tablets and my wife's 8.1/ASUS laptop (everyone has cloud storage to let you try & buy). I've avoided it, don't retain tons of data, save what I do retain on flash drives. But ... I am interested, need to learn the basics and beyond, may be open to considering actually using some of it.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'm fine either way, but voted yes because I'm both interested in it and using it.

Comment

I don't use the cloud due to mistrust of how my data might be handled. That said, I might consider it on my local server, so I'll vote yes just to learn more from trustworthy people.
          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
            I don't use the cloud due to mistrust of how my data might be handled. That said, I might consider it on my local server, so I'll vote yes just to learn more from trustworthy people.
            In essence, you can't avoid some form of cloud now. While I run my own mail server, for example, Google still sees the vast majority of my email, because the vast majority of folks with whom I correspond use Gmail. Having an ownCloud instance allows me to at least control those things that I can.

I'm reading Bruce Schneier's new book Data and Goliath right now. Very fascinating, very sobering. It's an excellent survey of all that's wrong with our modern surveillance society, and contains important and necessary ideas for how to change.

Comment

Another thought -- given that we have a collection of members running servers of various kinds, I'm thinking that another approach might be to create a top-level forum under General called Self-hosting or similar. Then inside there create subforums:
              • Mail
              • ownCloud
              • Chat / instant messaging
              • ?

Suggestions welcome for others.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                Another thought -- given that we have a collection of members running servers of various kinds, I'm thinking that another approach might be to create a top-level forum under General called Self-hosting or similar. Then inside there create subforums:
                • Mail
                • ownCloud
                • Chat / instant messaging
                • ?

Suggestions welcome for others.
                I'm very interested in this, as at present I'm evaluating a hosted or self-hosted ownCloud instance vs. using Kolab Now. As for privacy, just Kolab's page on privacy is likely enough for me to go that route; However ownCloud is a serious contender in the FOSS community as well. So +1 from me on this idea.
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Server software sub-forum gets a big thumbs up from me (subdivided by protocol perhaps?). Would save me from spamming the general Linux forum all the time!

... and yes I use ownCloud
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Interested in owncloud, but not really interested in a topic on it here.

Comment

I do not use it,,,,,,,not sure I have a need for all that ,,,,,,dont need everything sinked on all my equipment ,,,,,,and if perchance I need to have a file or directory accessible on the net for something for a short time ,,their are vastly easer/quicker ways.

But I am interested in it all the same as I am about everything so I voted "yes"

,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,, and speaking of quick ways to serve a file/directory ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, whats the easyest quickes way you know to do this ............... I'll post mine at 3:00AM GMT/forum time ,,,,,,or 11:00PM-EST-USA

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                        whats the easyest quickes way you know to do this
                        Duh -- email

Slowest: carrier pigeon, as per RFC 1149. A simple ping takes about an hour and a half. (More details.)

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          Duh -- email

Slowest: carrier pigeon, as per RFC 1149. A simple ping takes about an hour and a half. (More details.)
                          LOL ,,,nice one .

I was talking serve up to net off your own box ,,,,,but I guess email is valid ,,,,,,,,,,,,I think mine is still quicker/easier ,,,or arguably so.

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

OK then .........

Code:
                            vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ cd Public/
                            vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~/Public$ python -m SimpleHTTPServer
                            Serving HTTP on 0.0.0.0 port 8000 ...
                            now whatever is in Public is being served on port 8000 and accessible with a web browser pointed at your IP:8000

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

I totally did not know that. Cool! I wonder how secure it is...

Comment

Working...
                              X