cheers!
    -=|From the desk of|=-
    «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
    «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
    «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
    Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Re: To make the site better

Sorry to pop this subject and thread up again, but I have some questions related to the topic that I don't think have been answered yet.

What connection to does this site's administrators have to the Kubuntu project? Is this board pure unofficial? Is there any developer presence here? One reason why I would favor posting to ubuntuforums.org is that many of the actual developers seem to frequent it. I hope that way they get a strong sense of how the community is reacting to the project and what their needs are.

Another thing that makes me kind of wary of this site is the advertisements. I understand that there are bills to pay, hosting costs and such. I just don't like ads. You have to admit at the very least. They don't really mesh with the look of the page.

What are the chances of this site disappearing one day tomorrow? How sound is its footing in terms of man power, hosting, money and such?

Here is my suggestion for site improvement:It would be nice if there was a link on the main page to an "about us", or "who we are" page".

Note, that I'm not questioning your right to exist or telling people not to post here like that Anonymous jerk who started the thread. I just want to evaluate whether I want to invest my time here.

I'm not going to use the "omg fragmentation!!" argument. Using that kind of reasoning you could only conclude that Kubuntu shouldn't even exist.

Comment

Originally posted by chosen name
        One reason why I would favor posting to ubuntuforums.org is that many of the actual developers seem to frequent it.
        Are you sure about that? I haven't found that to be the case at all. Developers of some sort? Yes. The actual Ubuntu developers? No.
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

The site is hosted by me, Open Source, and we have several moderators who help in maintaining the site and its information. The advertisements are what I would consider to be small and their purpose is to pay the hosting fees. My other option would be to post a paypal donate button which I am not incredibly fond of because I don't like asking for money. This site is here to stay because I have people willing to help maintain it, and the google ads will always provide money for monthly hosting fees.

I could make a link to an About Us page, but all it would really say is welcome to kubuntuforums.net. Post your questions and forum members will do their best to answer them. This site was created by Open Source as a resource for those who use Kubuntu. Thanks for visiting and please register to help build a stronger information base.

So I thought it would be rather pointless. The site is listed on kubuntu.org as a support forum, but it is not "the official kubuntu forums." I hope this answers all your questions. There is a feature request sub forum where you can post your ideas and I will try to bring them to the developers attention, however there is not guarantee that they will even look at them.

Post any further questions you might have. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
            Originally posted by chosen name
            One reason why I would favor posting to ubuntuforums.org is that many of the actual developers seem to frequent it.
            Are you sure about that? I haven't found that to be the case at all. Developers of some sort? Yes. The actual Ubuntu developers? No.
            You're right, I think I somehow got that impression from seeing the "announcements" section. But those just look like copies of mailing list posts. The "user names" in the announcements section aren't even real.

Comment

The Ubuntu Developers Forum is here: http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/

Also, I like these forums, they're less busy, and not-as-fast-paced than the official forums. It's like a little village here
              <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

I agree with you, Nirvana. I like these forums, too. As an old bloke (50+) trying to learn a new way of doing things, they have been a huge help. If the original poster of this thread doesn't like it then good, don't read it. The amount and quality of help I have received has been enormous. With very able people like Open Source, yourself, aysiu, whoiam55, Patrick, skoal and many, many others, this forum will continue to be of invaluable assistance to all us learners.

Keep up the good work, everyone. Don't worry about anonymous clowns.

Cheers

Lowey
                I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Please,
                  look over the general layout for readability, far to large fonts in the middle, to small sizes on the both edge columns, almost not readable which makes it difficult to pick the right choices with the mouse.
                  After each page-reload you are forced to scroll down page to see the interesting stuff. Hmmm, annoying.

It would be nice to see one forum that could do it without the need to decorate it with all kind disturbing objects, ads, un-nessary information, but my overall impression, it's good start.

Comment

well the columns are adjustable. I can put the modules where ever I want, so your recommendations for the most important modules would be helpful. The text in the middle is large because they are announcements. I can reduce the size of them.

Comment

I know this is thread is old and thus a couple month bump, but after trying to access the ubuntuforums for the last 10 minutes and getting nothing but a 'server is busy' error, I'm glad we have a place to talk Kubuntu with a good sized community, but not one that overwhelms the servers. How frustrating is that!?!

Comment

Thanks for the compliment, that is actually the primary reason for my starting this site. I could never do a successful search there because of server overload. This could be recognized as a good thing because it implies a large community. However, it is annoying when looking for help. Don't get me wrong, I still visit ubuntuforums.org regularly because it is a great site. I can only hope that our community will one day grow to a size comparable to them, but that is not the primary goal of these forums. Helping the users we have is the primary goal.

Comment

Working...
                        X