This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To make the site better

Shut it down and don't fragment the community among KDE and Gnome users. The fast majority of support is common to both Ubuntu and Kubuntu since they both have the same base.

Re:

Thank you for your feedback, but it is because of the kubuntu users that I started this site. I have gotten emails and seen posts in support of a seperate site. Why not just have one giant website for all distros of linux with seperate forums for each? Because users want to have there own dedicated site for their linux distro. I am not trying to fragment, just trying to give kubuntu a special place on the web.

Comment

Re: To make the site better

Originally posted by Anonymous
      Shut it down and don't fragment the community among KDE and Gnome users. The fast majority of support is common to both Ubuntu and Kubuntu since they both have the same base.
      Bull****. True enough the base is the same, however, dealing with the differences between the apps can be quite different. This community is going to fragment itself on it's own anyway, so why not try to help a few users out along the way.

I am happy to see this forum come up. Thanks.

BTW, Gnome sucks. :P

Comment

To make the site better

A place for Kubuntu discussion is great but I dont like that its fragmented to so many sub-forums....
        Kudos for the new site btw

Comment

To make the site better

I think its good to have 2 forums.. Why all GNOME Users says "NO" and why all kde users say "yes" to kubuntu forums??

GNOME SUCKS! :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
            Yes. But most answers on ubuntuforum - even if question was about basically problem (the same on kubuntu and ubuntu), "Step by step" howto's are usually written for ubuntu users.
            Newbie looking for such help - detailed step by step - can feel confused.
            So I think that this forum is good idea.

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by Open Source
              Thank you for your feedback, but it is because of the kubuntu users that I started this site. I have gotten emails and seen posts in support of a seperate site. Why not just have one giant website for all distros of linux with seperate forums for each? Because users want to have there own dedicated site for their linux distro. I am not trying to fragment, just trying to give kubuntu a special place on the web.
              sorry, again, that i insist but pls remember the distro - so far as i know - is the same one.
              kubuntu is just the desktop, and most of the lot got kubuntu by installing ubuntu and then getting the apt-get kubuntu-desktop
              so pls, don't use your energies in breaking in small pieces and flaming wars. make a better (k)ubuntu
              thank u

anyway here's my little idea for a solution :
              http://kubuntuforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=80&highlight=
              yhotg<br /><br />--------------<br />dibl&#39;s Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs

Comment

To make the site better

Ubuntuforums already has a Kubuntu subforum which caters to all the KDE needs. Most of the problems have to be dealt with on the command line, and that remains the same in Kubuntu and Ubuntu. The few problems that are different for GNOME and KDE can be discussed in the kubuntu subforums there. Making a separate site is simply dividing the resources. eg: If I decide to stick around here, I'd have to check the Ubuntuforums as well as this site everyday, Many users would simply choose one over the other.....and if that happens both forums lose out. Besides, since Ubuntu has more users than Kubuntu (I think...), we stand to lose out....

Comment

To make the site better

I don't really think the Ubuntu forums stand to lose anything. The only way this site will be viable is by attracting one or two extremely knowledgeable and helpful individuals who can write good HowTos and answer questions well.

If that happens, new Kubuntu users may come here, but I doubt the few Kubuntu users who hang out at the Ubuntu forums (me, for example) would either ditch the Ubuntu forums or even make much of a difference should they decide to ditch--there are definitely far more Ubuntu than Kubuntu users.

This forum is the only one that stands to lose anything. It has a bit of momentum now because it's new. If more people don't join, stick around, and form a community soon, it'll peter out.
                  Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by Open Source
                    I am not trying to fragment, just trying to give kubuntu a special place on the web.
                    Open Source you are doing a really good job, keep it up. we all are with you
                    cheers!
                    -=|From the desk of|=-
                    «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
                    «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
                    «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
                    Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

To make the site better

Thank you, I appreciate the complaints and compliments. It is typical to hear many, many complaints and only a few, if any, compliments because human nature is to call the glass "half empty". However, it is nice to know that there are people who do support this site.

Thanks
                      Zack

Comment

More kudos to OpenSource. Coming from fedora I chose Kubuntu because I like KDE much better. It's small and I don't get alot of extra apps I don't need.

I think this is great having a site dedicated specifically to the version of Linux that I so choose to use.

Fantastic job on what you are doing.

Comment

Thank you for your support.

Comment

Forum Competition

I can see the advantage of the two forums, but I hope that Ubuntu and Kubuntu don't go separate ways as that would be counter productive in my opinion. I work in KDE but use a lot of gnome functions.
                            A helping hand has more than five fingers

Comment

Re: Forum Competition

To the mods: can we have just one of these threads? Any way to merge them?
                              Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Working...
                              X